Alien Timeline Updated

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 16, 2016, 03:20:12 PM

Author
Alien Timeline Updated (Read 72,057 times)

SM

SM

I've included Predator stuff here.

I would say that Predators takes place before the next film (in 2008), but if Blacks film specifies dates and events that contradict that, then his film will take precedence.

Xhan

Xhan

YOU GET A JOB HIPPIE

SM

SM

Don't wanna.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 20, 2016, 09:51:47 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 09:45:16 PM
I think Michael Bishop found the derelict post after Ripley's sacrifice.  As for the connection with A:R, yeah, the novelization claims the Derelict was destroyed, but the EU has W-Y acquire Aliens through other means anyways.  Personally, I just take it that the Auriga cloned Ripley probably because it was the easiest way to get their hands on an illegal alien organism.

Doesn't work because Stasis Interrupted clearly shows the Origin facility has been constructed around the derelict well before Ripley's sacrifice at the end of Alien 3. We see the facility is already up and running by the time Hicks makes his escape with the other guy and that can only be set days or weeks at most after Alien 3 ended, and a facility of that size would have taken months to construct let's be honest. And if the EU was canon to the films, then there would have been plenty of easier ways to acquire an Alien then cloning someone who died 200 years ago. Every man and his dog seemingly has access to them in the EU.

Its more than likely about containment and control.  If they just let Ripley go, she could have caused the destruction of earth.

As for the aliens, and there availability, on planets they control, with nothing to hunt aliens are depicted burying themselves into the ground, deeply.  Thats probably one reason humans after recovering from the blackout are having trouble finding aliens.  They buried themselves and went into hibernation.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Sep 20, 2016, 07:37:52 AM
Its more than likely about containment and control.  If they just let Ripley go, she could have caused the destruction of earth.

As for the aliens, and there availability, on planets they control, with nothing to hunt aliens are depicted burying themselves into the ground, deeply.  Thats probably one reason humans after recovering from the blackout are having trouble finding aliens.  They buried themselves and went into hibernation.

Couldn't they have cloned an alien from the remains of some other poor bastard from any number of the alien-infested worlds from the EU?  Why did it have to be Ripley?

Olde

Olde

Is...is this the right thread for debating the merits of whether or not some of these things are believable/possible? Like, even on a logistical level.

SM

SM

Depends what "things".

Olde

Olde

I'll assume not, then.

SM

SM

We won't know unless you pitch something to debate the believability of.

Olde

Olde

Okay, let's give this a shot.

Quote2017 (December 19)

Weyland acquires technology NASA's Project Prometheus. The Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter mission is revived by Weyland Industries and simple lifeforms are discovered in Europa's ocean.

2022 (June 1)

The Weyland Industries Health Division research in genetics and using extraterrestrial elements, results in the release of an effective cure to 98% of cancers.

I'm supposed to believe that a space program about Jupiter's moons, revived at the end of 2017 (so, effectively 2018), will yield the discovery of life forms in Europa's ocean, and not five years later, not only are those extraterrestrial elements brought back to Earth (it currently takes about 5 years for a satellite to reach Jupiter from Earth as a flyby, not intending to land on anything, and that's using both Venus and Mercury as a planetary slingshot), but also, somehow Weyland got enough clearance through the endless cesspool that is human bio-ethics (or did not, which must've raised all kinds of red flags) to not only test said extraterrestrial elements on humans, and not only cure cancer, but to release the cure for cancer. Are you insane? Am I really supposed to believe that?

Spoiler
And not just because that assumes that, unlike every other millenial, Weyland actually had the motivation to do something other than become a YouTuber or Tumblr SJW.
[close]

SM

SM

It's fiction. You can believe (or not) what you like.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Man...Olde...you definitely got a corn cob up there lol.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

One of the beefs I have that timeline is the Weyland-wankery.  I actually prefer Charles Bishop Weyland because he's a more believable character than the downright messianic Sir Peter Weyland.

Olde

Olde

Quote from: SM on Sep 24, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
It's fiction. You can believe (or not) what you like.
It's fiction, so I don't believe any of it. If I did, I'd be delusional and unable to distinguish reality from falsehood, and you'd (rightfully) reprimand me for it. Peter Weyland doesn't exist, he didn't do (or will do) any of the things purported to be by him. It's a fictional universe. I think the Aliens series is a fun little what-if, nothing more. It's just that in the instance of Weyland doing all those downright miraculous things (reversing climate change, curing cancer, setting up atmosphere processors on planets light years away, etc.), some of which are impossible in the given timeframe, it's absolutely preposterous and not even realistic enough to warrant suspending your disbelief to follow the story. I'm also not sure why they're integral to the story or, as Local said, why he has to be a messianic figure in the series. But whatever.

SM

SM

Whatever you think.

He was simply conceived that way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed