The 'box' Alien

Started by Mr. Clemens, Jan 25, 2014, 02:27:05 PM

Author
The 'box' Alien (Read 28,791 times)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jan 25, 2014, 10:39:00 PM
I 'd imagine that the suit might have been roughly squashed into a box shape and then inflated with balloons inside and I'd assume wouldn't have required Giger's involvement since he hasn't mentioned it.
Again, you'd think that would be the sort of effect set-up someone would mention at some point.

well, you'd have to find persons involved and ask them. These people don't seem to have a copies of every interview to find out what has been said and by whom and how much of it they managed to get out clearly in the interview and it does seem as if the people asking the questions in the interview are not always that concerned themselves, and the interviews that we get to see are sometimes just a fragment of what was said anyway

Someone who might know about it for instance would be Ivor Powell but he doesn't get interviewed that often. Then exactly who it was who did the effect, I'm not sure, I might wonder if it was Roger Dickinson because he would surely have been capable of working the effect out. Or Dr David Watling who did the remote controlled Alien head that we probably haven't seen a glimpse of yet, and he hasn't ever been interviewed. Maybe something has been published in a magazine a long time ago and we just didn't know what we were looking at and it might still be some years still before someone does find that thing. 

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 25, 2014, 09:31:32 PM
Seems kinda pointless for the alien to do that.

As did the weird and highly impractical 'arse-walk' it did to crawl towards Lambert, but it still happened. Ridley Scott wanted it to do things we'd register as weird/strange, purely to give emphasis to how it was meant to be like no organism we had ever encountered.

That's why I can so easily imagine this as having been done. It seems like precisely the kind of thing Scott would have thought up on a whim, then later decided (or been convinced by others) that it didn't work.

Remember, he was also going to have the Alien tear Ripley's head off and imitate her voice on the shuttle, as it neared civilisation. Something he later claimed he dreamed up while drunk, but he's got a pattern of thinking up weirdness. One of the early drafts of 'Legend was turned away by a producer because, she said, "You can't have the villain f**k the Princess." At which point, RS readily agreed and went, "Yeah, f**kin' terrible idea, you're right."

So, the Alien folding up into some kind of box as its natural form of laying in ambush, stick insect-style? Yeah, I could see him going along with that (or thinking it up), filming it, then later just discarding it

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 26, 2014, 06:32:32 PMAs did the weird and highly impractical 'arse-walk' it did to crawl towards Lambert, but it still happened.

Was this a deleted scene?  I don't recall the alien doing an arse-walk.

Gash

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I always suspected that Ridley Scott was insane.

Gash

Gash

Inspired I'd say, shoot everything, choose later.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 26, 2014, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 25, 2014, 09:31:32 PM
Seems kinda pointless for the alien to do that.

As did the weird and highly impractical 'arse-walk' it did to crawl towards Lambert, but it still happened. Ridley Scott wanted it to do things we'd register as weird/strange, purely to give emphasis to how it was meant to be like no organism we had ever encountered.

That's why I can so easily imagine this as having been done. It seems like precisely the kind of thing Scott would have thought up on a whim, then later decided (or been convinced by others) that it didn't work.

Remember, he was also going to have the Alien tear Ripley's head off and imitate her voice on the shuttle, as it neared civilisation. Something he later claimed he dreamed up while drunk, but he's got a pattern of thinking up weirdness. One of the early drafts of 'Legend was turned away by a producer because, she said, "You can't have the villain f**k the Princess." At which point, RS readily agreed and went, "Yeah, f**kin' terrible idea, you're right."

So, the Alien folding up into some kind of box as its natural form of laying in ambush, stick insect-style? Yeah, I could see him going along with that (or thinking it up), filming it, then later just discarding it
He did say in an interview concerning the Alien that each time we see it,it would be presented in a weird/inhuman pose"balancing on one finger" on occasion,to underline it's strangeness and get away from "The man in a suit look".

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Yeees... I'm really, really hoping they include that walking animation in the upcoming video game. :laugh:

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 26, 2014, 07:58:02 PM
He did say in an interview concerning the Alien that each time we see it,it would be presented in a weird/inhuman pose"balancing on one finger" on occasion,to underline it's strangeness and get away from "The man in a suit look".

Ballet Aliens!

Let's not forget the unexplained weirdness of gravity-defying egg moisture dripping up towards the ceiling, either.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I always imagined that being the result of some glitch the Derelict sustained with its artificial gravity generator when it crashed.  But of course it's best left unexplained.  I wished we saw that kind of weirdness in Prometheus.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 26, 2014, 10:44:59 PMLet's not forget the unexplained weirdness of gravity-defying egg moisture dripping up towards the ceiling, either.

In all these years, has that ever been explained?

SiL

SiL

"It looked cool."

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 27, 2014, 12:02:51 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 26, 2014, 10:44:59 PMLet's not forget the unexplained weirdness of gravity-defying egg moisture dripping up towards the ceiling, either.

In all these years, has that ever been explained?
Not yet,maybe in this new movie?

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Gash on Jan 26, 2014, 06:44:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5jYeIMBKk#

Glad he cut that... looks exactly like a man in a suit, trying his best to move in an awkward way to persuade us that we're not watching a man in a suit.

The box idea is interesting, but doesn't work when the alien just crouches into a box in the middle of the floor in plain view. The solution they went with in the shuttle works so much better. Hiding between the wall panels right in front of Ripleys face and even we can't see it. Great effect.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, some of the alien box idea I suppose turned up in Prometheus when they discover the Fifield Monster, when he turns up outside the Prometheus ship in a pit with his legs wrapped in a strange way around his shoulders

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SiL on Jan 27, 2014, 12:06:50 AM
"It looked cool."

Ridley's reason for everything and anything really, he just needs good writers at his back.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed