Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,311 times)

Topazora

Topazora

so looking forward to this  ;D

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 11, 2014, 02:34:01 AM
Prometheus #1 - June 11, 2014
Aliens #1 - June 25, 2014
Aliens vs Predator #1 - July 2, 2014
Predator #1 - July 16, 2014

So that means this comic arc would be completed around early to mid September.

Ultramorph

Some new info from Scott Allie and Mike Richardson, who were interviewed over at Comic Book Resources today:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50203

Most visually noteworthy was what appears to be a cover for the new Aliens series (I love the look of it):

A few noteworthy quotes:

"We're about to relaunch the Fox properties being spearheaded by "Prometheus," which I think is a really exciting program for us to be followed by "Aliens," "Predators" and "Aliens Vs. Predator." They're all tied in together in some way"

"We are doing creator-owned stuff with Paul as well, and we're doing "Prometheus" with Paul. He's a really complex creator with a lot of different kinds of ideas, and I think readers want to get a lot of different things. They don't just want sci-fi, or they don't just want horror. Maybe a lot of comics readers only read superhero comics, but it's great to be able to bring in different readers with what we do."

"It's the same with the "Prometheus" comics where Mike has been working with Ridley Scott to make sure that what we're doing connects with where Ridley's heading with the rest of the franchise." (Perhaps then we won't have all the new stuff getting retconned in a few years)

"We have the huge Fox program leading off with "Prometheus." I know some people hated the movie and some people loved it. I'm one of the people who loved it, and we're going to delve into some of the questions that Ridley's people have allowed us to delve into. So we'll address some things that seemed unanswerable, and we've got answers for all of them -- that's one of the reasons why the story people at Fox are excited by this."

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 11, 2014, 03:26:38 AM
"It's the same with the "Prometheus" comics where Mike has been working with Ridley Scott to make sure that what we're doing connects with where Ridley's heading with the rest of the franchise." (Perhaps then we won't have all the new stuff getting retconned in a few years)

I am not sure about Ridley Scott adhering to the EU. If anything, I would think that Ridley Scott tends to the EU in the same way George Lucas does-- it's happening outside his movies and doesn't intrude on them. If he does adhere or incorporate the EU, then I will be plum surprised. Also, does this mean that Predators also exist in the Prometheus-Alien universe as far as films? And if so could we be looking in the long run at an AvP reboot film if new releases of the films are adhering to the EU? I have my doubts but...

Ultramorph

I see it as this: If Ridley meant what he said about Prometheus sequels tangentializing even further away from Alien, it makes sense that he would be okay with a comic tidying up loose ends like the Deacon, and how what happened on LV-223 ties in with what we know about Alien mythology. Basically, he's giving them a go-ahead to answer stuff he doesn't want to bother with in future movies, and I doubt he gives a damn about Predators, etc. What we'll get in the Prometheus comic, I believe from what I gathered, will be answers to basic questions pertaining to the black goo, all wrapped up in a "Prometheus 1.5" style story about the rescue mission sent to look for Weyland.

RakaiThwei

So it sounds like Ridley does share a similar view to how George Lucas looks at the EU.

Born Of Cold Light

I just hope that these series' have a clean beginning and end.  The Dark Horse Aliens comics have a long history of not following up on hinted future storylines and developments, with things just left hanging.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Many Angled One on Jan 11, 2014, 05:05:35 AM
I just hope that these series' have a clean beginning and end.  The Dark Horse Aliens comics have a long history of not following up on hinted future storylines and developments, with things just left hanging.

Like Three World War.. Considering that these new comics are a whole and likely separate continuity, and probably the new Status Quo, it's likely that we will not see a sequel storyline to where Three World War left off from.

Seems as if the story of Machiko Noguchi has been told, and the book is closed.

-Rakai'Thwei

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 11, 2014, 05:08:27 AM
Quote from: Many Angled One on Jan 11, 2014, 05:05:35 AM

Like Three World War.. Considering that these new comics are a whole and likely separate continuity, and probably the new Status Quo, it's likely that we will not see a sequel storyline to where Three World War left off from.

Seems as if the story of Machiko Noguchi has been told, and the book is closed.

-Rakai'Thwei

That, as well as the endings to Labyrinth, Deadliest of the Species, Xenogenesis, Colonial Marines, Wraith, More Than Human, and Superman vs. Aliens 2.  Tons of great arcs that were never continued.

They're not comics, but I'm also guessing we'll never see a sequel to AvP2 or AvP2010.  And I'm not holding out any hope for finding out what happened to the marine and alien in the first AvP game.

SM

SM

I am not sure about Ridley Scott adhering to the EU.

I'm not sure he even knows it exists.

I think it's along the lines of - DH pitched story ideas to Fox and Scott Free, they said do what you like except for x, y and z because that could be in the sequel, and that's the extent of it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Many Angled One on Jan 11, 2014, 05:26:26 AM
That, as well as the endings to Labyrinth, Deadliest of the Species, Xenogenesis, Colonial Marines, Wraith, More Than Human, and Superman vs. Aliens 2.  Tons of great arcs that were never continued.

Deadliest of the Species was probably a storyline best never continued. There was a lot of negative reception towards it. The Xenogenesis storyline, I haven't really read because I only have maybe two issues. Apparently that one was supposed to connect the Alien storyline, Predator storyline and the AvP storyline.. I'm not sure. Wraith was meant to be a one shot. Colonial Marines.. I heard that it was supposed to be twelve issues but they reduced it to ten. As for Superman vs. Aliens.. well.. A third would've been nice to see but I doubt we were ever going to get it anyway.

It would have been nice to see a continuation of Three World War. We were teased with the possibility of a sequel comic but it seems that now we will never, ever get it. It's a shame too because we wouldn't have gotten something to make up for the last comic run but are being treated to reboots instead.

Quote from: SM on Jan 11, 2014, 05:40:21 AM
I'm not sure he even knows it exists.

I think it's along the lines of - DH pitched story ideas to Fox and Scott Free, they said do what you like except for x, y and z because that could be in the sequel, and that's the extent of it.

I also doubt that Ridley Scott could care about the EU as well. In fact, I think that's something you and I could both agree on.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Colonial Marines had no where to go when it finished.  DOTS is best consigned to the 'ideas never to be revisited' bin.  And Xenogenesis - I only read Aliens, and it seemed like it needed a follow up - if only to explain just what they were trying to achieve with the existing material.  Which was fairly painful.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The continuing adventures of Ash Parnall and her human-xeno-with-eyes companion! I hope Chris Claremont gets right on that.  :laugh: As far as Three World War, a sequel would have basically just been the same story again, and I thought it was pretty luckluster the first time around.

But in all seriousness, I hope the new run has a satisfying ending, too. I know back when Bloody Disgusting interviewed Scott Allie he said something about possible future sequels because "spoiler alert: not everyone dies."

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2014, 04:44:50 AM
How do you know he hasn't got telescoping nips?

Don't betray the secret!

QuoteBecause one panel is able to depict an entire fight.

Ever since that sewer picture, from 'Requiem', promotional shots give us pause for thought...

SM

SM

The one that inexplicably saw a million fanboys cry out in ecstasy, and were suddenly silenced as they sought a change of underwear?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed