Alien3 Legacy Cut

Started by 0321recon, Apr 26, 2024, 08:35:01 PM

Author
Alien3 Legacy Cut (Read 2,780 times)

SM

SM

Apparently 'Show us a little leadership' means 'We're completely fine painting the walls with highly flammable goop in the dark', and Dillon should immediately defer to Ripley for everything because who needs drama and conflict eh?

He probably could've sourced Aaron's audio about vent shaft 17 from the workprint too.

SiL

SiL

"I can only get behind his redemption if I don't know what he did wrong in the first place" and "I like the nihilistic tone and oppressive atmosphere" just don't gel.

It's not that it's controversial. It just demonstrates a lack of emotional maturity by trying to make uncomfortable things more palatable.

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2024, 10:44:09 PMApparently 'Show us a little leadership' means 'We're completely fine painting the walls with highly flammable goop in the dark', and Dillon should immediately defer to Ripley for everything because who needs drama and conflict eh?
Yeah I never had a problem with that line. He says show us leadership, not "we're your slaves".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that being 4k alone won't entice me into seeing this hatchet job.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Apr 27, 2024, 10:48:37 PM"I can only get behind his redemption if I don't know what he did wrong in the first place" and "I like the nihilistic tone and oppressive atmosphere" just don't gel.

It's not that it's controversial. It just demonstrates a lack of emotional maturity by trying to make uncomfortable things more palatable.

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2024, 10:44:09 PMApparently 'Show us a little leadership' means 'We're completely fine painting the walls with highly flammable goop in the dark', and Dillon should immediately defer to Ripley for everything because who needs drama and conflict eh?
Yeah I never had a problem with that line. He says show us leadership, not "we're your slaves".

The actual problem with that sequence is the repetition.  One version of the script had Aaron explain about the nuclear waste dump, while Dillon was present and it's a bit tighter.

Scott Conover

Scott Conover

What are these baby mode changes... hype went from 100 to 0 real quick. What a waste of time.
Wiping away a criminal record just because you like a dude is the most smooth brained baby's first movie shit. I don't think an alright chill dude would willingly banish himself to a cold rock at the edge of space.... It's literally the whole point of the character that you like him IN SPITE of what he was. THATS THE POWER OF MOVIES AND GOOD STORYTELLING

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Someone should write a strongly-worded letter to the guy making this thing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I have linked him this thread, so if anyone wants to put their perspective into words eloquently do it now.

Remember a human being has spent three years on this bloody thing.

SiL

SiL

To put it constructively, the fact humanity is saved by the worst of humanity is an important aspect of the story, thematically and narratively. Dillon embodies that. Sanitising it robs the film of depth and Dillon of character.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Dillon pretty clearly demonstrated in the movie that he was not only no longer a rapist, he actually saved her from being gang raped by men that he considered his brothers.

After that he demonstrated that he was no longer a murderer when he couldn't bring himself to kill her, despite his earlier assurance that he was up to it.  Hell, he wouldn't even let her die in the mold.

In short, if you take away his "murderer and rapist of women" line, you grossly undermine the impact of what he does later in the film.

SM

SM

Plus Ripley's come back of "I guess I must make you nervous" is a f**king great line.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Even Junior's little smirk and nod is gold.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 29, 2024, 05:02:30 AMDillon pretty clearly demonstrated in the movie that he was not only no longer a rapist, he actually saved her from being gang raped by men that he considered his brothers.
Also stops himself short of killing the rapists.

Dillon is the embodiment of the film's thematic argument. He has absolutely rejected nihilism and the destructive/ self destructive potential of nihilism. He will literally beat the nihilism out of you if he sees you abandoning your moral principle. He will not let you check out early and let other people deal with shit. He will not let you die on your arse doing nothing.

And all of this is made stronger by the fact he has clearly embraced nihilism in the past, and learned to overcome and reject it.

Also, importantly, you don't have to like him. You don't have to forgive him or think he's redeemed. It's entirely ok to feel uncomfortable watching someone you fine repugnant do the right thing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yeah, Darth Vader didn't suddenly atone for murdering children just because he saved Luke in ROTJ.

SiL

SiL

Tellingly they both die in their last acts of seeming absolution. The only price high enough to pay to redeem themselves is their lives in exchange for countless others - and even that might not be quite enough.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wonder if that guy will even bother to read any of this.  We're casting pearls here and it may all be for nothing. 🐷

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed