Inconsistencies

Started by UDA, Feb 06, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

Author
Inconsistencies (Read 74,431 times)

PLEXI

PLEXI

@OpenMaw,
The TM was released after Aliens, but Gearbox is using it as a reference...as do many. In regards to Hicks' line, better to keep the weapon in full auto and fire control yourself rather than risk stopping fire when you need it. Both scenes with Ripley and Vasquez are practically burst fires as well, you can see the stutter. Thats why I am explaining their reasoning for locking it to burst fire as such. Majority of weapons fire was in bursts.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PLEXI on Feb 06, 2013, 02:49:04 PM
@OpenMaw,
The TM was released after Aliens, but Gearbox is using it as a reference...as do many. In regards to Hicks' line, better to keep the weapon in full auto and fire control yourself rather than risk stopping fire when you need it.

Yeah, so clearly they weren't setting it to burst. Why set it to burst at all? It's annoying change, and inconsistancy with the movie.

Quote from: PLEXI on Feb 06, 2013, 02:49:04 PM
Both scenes with Ripley and Vasquez are practically burst fires as well, you can see the stutter. Thats why I am explaining their reasoning for locking it to burst fire as such. Majority of weapons fire was in bursts.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 06, 2013, 02:11:46 PM
(Vasquez empties the last 10-15 rounds out of the magazine with the trigger held down.)

Here. I opened the movie, and Fraps'd the scene.

She clearly does not let up the trigger. It's a fully automatic weapon.

Again, Ripley isn't operating the weapon like it's a burst fire. The sound the gun makes oscillates, yes, but that does not mean it's fired in burst. That simply means the sound oscillates. That's circular, but it's also true.  :)

Even if it says in the TM that the gun has select-fire. We're not getting select fire. We're getting burst fire and burst fire only. You know what would be cool? Put that in the customization menu. "Do you want 3 round burst, 5 round burst, or full auto?" Why would you want that? Well, it could help you conserve ammo if you don't trust yourself, for one. It could also allow for more accurate shooting.

But hey, i'm just a fanboy who wants this game to fail according to some.  ;)

Predaker

Predaker

The ammo counter is on the wrong side of the pulse rifle!!!11 Why u no watch ALIENS movie gaerbox

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 06, 2013, 03:52:19 PM
The ammo counter is on the wrong side of the pulse rifle!!!11 Why u no watch ALIENS movie gaerbox

I'M GOING TO EAT SOMEONES FACE!

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Gearbox brings it on themselves.

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Holy shit, I was worried about gameplay and whether or not the levels would be balanced and satisfying but...f**king ammo counters? Holy f**k, the entire game is ruined for me.

PLEXI

PLEXI

Vasquez is still using bursts. Ripley has about three before unloading. By stuttering I wasn't talking about the audio. Majority of the M41A firing scenes are still using controlled bursts. I was never arguing about the weapon actually being fully automatic.  What I WAS saying was that they were playing off the short controlled bursts motiff, by making the weapon itself burst fire only.

I agree with you, it should be an option as that would be in line with the lore and movie.. but it is an artifical limitation and difference for the sake of the game. Burst fire with a doubled magazine and inaccuracy/and or less damage compared to the MKII to justify its existance. Hearing a Pulse Rifle in full auto is also not nearly as atmospheric or sound as great as evidenced by the AVP games. I was commenting more as devil's advocate and about their thought process as to the change.
Hudson's M41A's counter is supposedly in the right place. The MKII is a more modern ambidextrous design and on both sides.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PLEXI on Feb 06, 2013, 04:01:43 PM
Burst fire with a doubled magazine and inaccuracy/and or less damage compared to the MKII to justify its existance. Hearing a Pulse Rifle in full auto is also not nearly as atmospheric or sound as great as evidenced by the AVP games.

The Mark II Pulse Rifle sounds just fine in full auto. To me, anyway. Also, there have been sound mods, within the limited scope of what is allowed, for all the AVP games that make the PR sound authentic. The only reason there's an issue there is because there are usually only two or three sounds to replace, and the way they're triggered by firing the weapon makes them sound off. It'd be very easy to design a set of sounds for a Pulse Rifle that sounded both movie authentic and functioned in fully automatic. 

Quote from: PLEXI on Feb 06, 2013, 04:01:43 PM
Hudson's M41A's counter is supposedly in the right place. The MKII is a more modern ambidextrous design and on both sides.

I don't think he really cares, honestly. Sounds like a slight against anyone with criticisms against design choices and the entirety of the inconsistencies thread.

Hey you know what guys? If that stuff doesn't bug you. Good for you, really. I'm glad none of those continuity gaffs, or the changes to design, or the super-mutant aliens don't bug you, but that does not mean the rest of us are irrational for noticing and taking a stance against things that do not match the movie. Something which the developers continually, repeatedly, and quite adamantly state they're following faithfully. Again, it's on Gearbox to deliver on their word.

Marvelnerd1

Marvelnerd1

I may be the only one who's going to say this, but I'm just going to get the game and see all this stuff for myself. Yes, the APC and the crawler are intact on the planet when they're not supposed to, but that's not much of a big deal. I'm still pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the game a lot.

PLEXI

PLEXI

The MKII is fine for what it is, I'd expect a few design tweaks that could possibly affect the sound of the gun firing. So I have no issues with it. Yeah, I've never really had success modding the AVP99-2010 M41A sounds nor has anyone else due to what you said, and how the games do not support those flange oscillation post sfx patterns that make the M41A sound like an M41A. Gearbox has done the best so far, no doubting that.

QuoteAgain, it's on Gearbox to deliver on their word.
Well... We already have a good idea on that. I am honestly just hoping to still enjoy the game, I've given up on expecting an accurate canonical sequel.  I'm just hoping the alien AI isn't as bad as it looked in the livestream, I can put up with most of the other stuff.

UDA

UDA

Yeah, The ammo counter is in the wrong place for the pulse rifle, but I've only seen the Mk II, not a profile of the original Rifle, so I can't add that to the list.

The face-huggers in med lab are accurate. there were 6 at the start, 2 were alive, 4 dead. Bishop dissected 1. Burke released the other 2 on Ripley and Newt later on. Unless I am missing something, it seems accurate.

I would add Hudson's Pulse Rifle to the list, but they call it 'Hudson's Pulse Rifle', It may have been set to burst fire. And the whole "Short controlled bursts," could have been said to Ripley and Vasquez (Ripley not having the experience and Vasquez being trigger happy). So I'm waiting for a little more evidence, I'm sort of hoping someone will watch the movie and start counting rounds, but I  won't ask anyone to do this.

If I'm wrong about any of these, let me know and explain why, (pictures / vids help alot,) and I'll add it to the list.

Predaker

Predaker

Obviously it would be a gameplay design decision if Hudson's pulse rifle is in fact only set to burst fire. Does that still count? What are the parameters here? Let's have fun. :)

Stringer2355

Stringer2355

::)

I am surprised nobody has complained about the different Aspect Ratio for opening cut scene

The Runner

The Runner

Where are the negative reviews at?

UDA

UDA

Quote from: The Runner on Feb 06, 2013, 07:59:29 PM
Where are the negative reviews at?

Everywhere.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed