Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,558 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SM on Feb 29, 2012, 10:16:37 AM
Hollywood don't give a shit.

The three Geisha in a film about Geisha were all played by Chinese actresses.
Let's take it further. Fisher Stevens plays an Indian scientist in Short Circuit. And he's American, without any non-European descent. The funny thing is he embodied all the stereotypical mannerisms of an outsider from India in America.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Feb 29, 2012, 03:01:28 AM
Xenomorphine...I just completely disagree! I thought his performance was believable, a bit mysterious and a great beginning on the ride to Prometheus. What did you want exactly?

Something which isn't a bad James Mason impression? :)

A bit more understated, like Henriksen's performance, like I said. Although, his gravelly vocals leant a lot to that, there are still a lot of ways of doing it without making him seem so blatantly Machiavellian. Came across like all he was missing was a moustache to twirl and Noomi Rapace roped to some railroad tracks.

I liked the 'indulge me' line, right at the end, but the rest was just far too over the top. That's what I take issue with - it's making me fear that this might be the level of character portrayal we should expect. Henriksen's Weyland was in line of the kind of portrayal we saw of Burke and the others at the board enquiry. This one feels a lot more superficially polished.

Weirdly, it actually feels like something I'd expect to see in an Anderson 'Resident Evil' film.

Yes, I know that the earlier advert was epic, but those aren't usually put together by the directors, themselves. This is the first actual acting performance we've seen from anyone involved in it.

Not going to judge the finished product from this, by any means. Just saying it did not impress me in the slightest.

Quote from: hudson300 on Feb 29, 2012, 03:36:33 AM
At least we officially now know that there is a link to "Alien". That is something to look forward too.

That's been known since the project was first announced. ;)

QuoteAs far as this being Ridley Scott's "The Phantom Menace" that could never happen, EVER! Even his last turkey with Russel Crowe could never be as bad as "TPM"

Never underestimate the power of Hollywood arrogance.

Some might recall how a certain Canadian director of dark impressive projects, like the first two 'Terminator' films and 'Aliens', ended up giving us a retelling of the Titanic sinking which was so hopelessly sentimental, it felt like a Steven Spielberg film.

Ridley's made a number of films which, at best, are forgettable. His hit-or-miss ratio is just more fondly remembered for the success than failures, that's all. While he probably won't make something aimed at children, there's no reason to make an assumption it's impossible to be a bad film, either.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I take this speech with a grain of salt. I believe it was specificially made for publicity reasons and would like to keep myself telling that. If this was kind of acting I would see in Prometheus, I wouldn't be impressed either.

T Dog

T Dog

I agree about the voice. It should be toned down a notch. Though his mannerisms are actually really terrific if you look at his face intently as he is speaking/not speaking.

I really enjoyed hearing him talk about all the technological advances. Nano machines etc. I'd actually be very happy if this was just a Ridley Scott sci-fi that's heavily about androids/replicants and future technologies.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 11:11:17 AM
I agree about the voice. It should be toned down a notch. Though his mannerisms are actually really terrific if you look at his face intently as he is speaking/not speaking.
I thought his facial expressions were just as big a problem as his accent/delivery. Just look at the little head move he does after the "We are the gods now!" line. So much ham. :P

Infected

Infected

Im still getting that feeling that Lindelof is gonna make this movie bad.

The video is ok but the rest is fake the graphics you can so tell he is just talking to a green screen,
reminds me of the crappy Star Wars movies that uncle George put out a few years ago.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Infected on Feb 29, 2012, 11:16:20 AM

The video is ok but the rest is fake the graphics you can so tell he is just talking to a green screen,
reminds me of the crappy Star Wars movies that uncle George put out a few years ago.

It's a viral video. It's not going to have the full on production values of the final movie. Although maybe it should.

Pn2501

Pn2501

A guy on imdb said it best

QuoteF!ck Charles Weyland. Paul Anderson POS AVP does not belong in this Dojo.

Pearce is playing it Gordon Geeko / Richard Branson, and I like it.

Who'd have though a 3 minute viral could be more compelling than 200 combined minutes of AvP rubbish.

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

I don't think he's hammy, it couldn't be understated in such a big arena. Anyone who prefers the AVP speech needs their heads looking at.

The one line I would have changed is the "we are the Gods now"..."ARE WE the Gods now?" is less egotistical and has more suggestion rather than confirmation, which I think is more interesting. I'd rather the audience thought Weyland believed he was a god, rather than him tell us.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 11:20:02 AM
Quote from: Infected on Feb 29, 2012, 11:16:20 AM

It's a viral video. It's not going to have the full on production values of the final movie. Although maybe it should.
Ok.
But the money and the idea has to come from somewhere.
this doesnt give me the real feel of it like the Alien or Aliens movies did bring. real sets real decors etc.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Feb 29, 2012, 11:23:09 AM
I don't think he's hammy, it couldn't be understated in such a big arena. Anyone who prefers the AVP speech needs their heads looking at.

The one line I would have changed is the "we are the Gods now"..."ARE WE the Gods now?" is less egotistical and has more suggestion rather than confirmation, which I think is more interesting. I'd rather the audience thought Weyland believed he was a god, rather than him tell us.

Butt hurt AvP fanboys  ;D

escroto

escroto

I don't get some people's reaction around here. Guy Pearce's speech and overall performance is outstanding at the very least, If not epic, given he's playing a man who's supposed to be very arrogant like the high corp. man he is supposed to be.

I'm just really really impressed by that video and by Pearce's performance and the arrogance he's displaying when playing that char. Also, I'm happy not only because avp canon is going to be discarded; chances for some of the most simple Cameron's stuff that has been plaguing the alien lore for two decades and a half to be discarded too are growing high imo, and If so, then this old caveman who was once attracted by the film "Alien" unlike any other film after It will be the happiest person in the world.

This is not going to be a new Cameron's starship troopers film with marines, pulse rifles and arach..., I mean "aliens". Scott is the only one who can put an end to all this once and for all by returning to the genre this franchise should have never left.

Seriously, criticizing pearce's performance (or the char he plays and his attitude) just because some people wanted more of chars like Bishop, Burke, etc, I mean characters that were created by Cameron, not by Scott, is as arrogant as the attitude they are criticizing in the role of Peter Weyland.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: escroto on Feb 29, 2012, 11:37:45 AM
Seriously, criticizing pearce's performance (or the char he plays and his attitude) just because some people wanted more of chars like Bishop, Burke, etc, I mean characters that were created by Cameron, not by Scott, is as arrogant as the attitude they are criticizing in the role of Peter Weyland.
That's not why a lot of us are criticizing him. His performance is OTT and totally hammy. It plays almost like a parody of an arrogant businessman. Again, this is probably the fault of Jake Scott for either not reigning him, not giving a crap, or just having no time to do multiple takes. As it stands, the viral vid has some serious camp fumes coming off it. I don't expect the film to share that, but it's a bit worrying.

Company Man

Company Man

I agree with all that escroto said. Furthermore, like others have mentioned, this is a viral video, and viral videos should NOT have the same production value as the film itself. I'm sure the budget decisions all have to pass through the same people/offices, so while Scott could maybe have decided to spend more money, that wouldn't be a wise choice when that money could be directed toward the actual film instead. In my opinion, Pearce's performance is what's important here, not the CGI stadium around him. And it would be VERY expensive to have built an actual stage like that, or even to have filled an already existing stadium with extras and shoot it. These are ridiculous expectations for a viral video.

Does anyone remember what we got with the Dark Knight viral campaign? The Gotham Tonight news segments weren't half as entertaining/expensive as what we just got for Prometheus, a movie that probably has a smaller budget overall in comparison.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: newbeing on Feb 29, 2012, 04:01:45 AM
Also I'm sure others have probably already made the connection with the restrained titan that got its heart eaten out of its chest.

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/m/alien/chestburster_space_jockey.jpg
Just wanted to quote this because that's a really cool point (even if it's sort of reversed, because the Jockey was eaten from the inside out).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed