Do you find the Facehuggers to be scary?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 05, 2020, 05:46:10 AM

Author
Do you find the Facehuggers to be scary? (Read 14,166 times)

426Buddy

Sounds like Aliens was intended to be scary but not as scary as Alien.

It would be pretty silly to think that Aliens was not intended to be scary at all.

Voodoo Magic

Of course, I don't think anyone was saying that. The film features scary alien creatures that kill people!  But with any effort to be intentionally less scary, you're going to get less scary results. And that's why it's not a slam, when it's intentional.  It's the T2 of Alien movies. :)

Kradan

More like T2 is Aliens of Terminator films if you consider what came earlier

Kimarhi

Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 09, 2020, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2020, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 05, 2020, 02:18:17 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2020, 10:19:59 PM
Of course he intended it to be scary.

No, he didn't. He says as much on the commentary he did for the special edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekTN0ZF7gvE

From about 7 minutes onwards.  Winston and Cameron.

There's monsters stalking and killing people and jumping on their faces and bursting out their chests - but no, it's not meant to be scary.  Just because Cameron didn't try to make it as scary as Alien - doesn't mean he didn't try to make it scary.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2020, 02:20:13 AM
Uh oh SM.  This guy just flopped his willy off the side of the bridge and told you the water was deep.

YOUR MOVE.

The bridge I'm standing on the is on Jimbob Cameron's ship over the Marianas trench and I'm telling you it's deep.

Okay, and Cameron on the commentary says differently. So we've both got contradicting statements from the same source. Thus we're at an impasse, you sarcastic f**k.

Lol.

That's why you can't use out of universe info for reasons something happens in universe.  Both directors and writers opinions never stay the same.

Looking at you Mal.....

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2020, 01:01:05 PM
Of course, I don't think anyone was saying that.
It's right here in the post you quoted:

Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 04, 2020, 12:12:18 PM
Literally the only scary part of Aliens (and that's not a slam, as Cameron never intended it to be a scary movie)

426Buddy

Yeah I was just going to say, isn't that exactly what YouHaveMySympahties said? :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 09, 2020, 09:14:49 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2020, 01:01:05 PM
Of course, I don't think anyone was saying that.
It's right here in the post you quoted:

Literally the only scary part of Aliens (and that's not a slam, as Cameron never intended it to be a scary movie)

It's better to bold it in the entire quote:

Literally the only scary part of Aliens (and that's not a slam, as Cameron never intended it to be a scary movie) is when that Facehugger jumps towards the camera in Ripley's POV. That part made me flinch back in alarm, last time I watched the movie.

But he also mentioned in the same paragraph a scary part of Aliens. Is he contradicting himself? Do you think OP believes it was accidentally scary? Facehuggers, chestbursters are often scary regardless, it's hard to avoid.

This is all one step above clobbering over punctuation to me. Now I don't know his or her background,  but we're dealing with a lot of fans with English as their second language, but I knew what the OP meant, and I'm pretty certain most of the rest familiar with Aliens and its backstory did too.

SiL

You said no one claimed it wasn't meant to be scary, and I showed you someone flat out claiming it wasn't meant to be scary.

He then defended the statement by pointing out Cameron said as much in a commentary for the film (although didn't provide the quote), and doubled down on that same defense when questioned.

I don't know what more you want.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 09, 2020, 10:11:04 PM
You said no one claimed it wasn't meant to be scary, and I showed you someone flat out claiming it wasn't meant to be scary.

He then defended the statement by pointing out Cameron said as much in a commentary for the film (although didn't provide the quote), and doubled down on that same defense when questioned.

I don't know what more you want.

An actual response to what I laid out in my post perhaps?  ;D

SiL

I addressed the part where you asserted you "knew what he meant" despite arguing something other than what he had been quite clear and consistent about in his own words.

The user thinks the film wasn't intended to be scary. I don't know why you're trying to argue otherwise and downplay his own words and even intimate the person maybe doesn't speak English well for the sake of you winning an argument.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 09, 2020, 10:21:57 PM
I addressed the part where you asserted you "knew what he meant" despite arguing something other than what he had been quite clear and consistent about in his own words.

The user thinks the film wasn't intended to be scary. I don't know why you're trying to argue otherwise and downplay his own words and even intimate the person maybe doesn't speak English well for the sake of you winning an argument.

Ah, "winning". That's the crux of it right there. Is there ever winning with SMs legal defense team?  OPs post mentioned something scary in Aliens. By that admission, he knows while not designed as a scary horror film, there are scares in Aliens. I may be wrong, but OPs posts also reads (to me) that English isn't his first language. I also know exactly what the OP was referring to in regards to how Cameron shaped Aliens. Maybe OP should have inserted "as" before scary, because there are some that will drive down on that and attack it. What can you do.

We'll agree to disagree mate!

kwisatz

kwisatz

Well the user said it's not intended as a scray movie.

Going by that interview answer Cameron doesn't outright say Aliens is an action movie per se (I think).

But he says:

Quotebut more intense, and I like to use the word, exhilarating. Because I think you get exhilarated by the intensity of the kind of action that's in this film.

I leave it to the native speakers and film experts to conclusively categorize this type of movie.  ;D

(I gotta say, I'm a bit impressed. I didn't know Cameron was this level of slick with words -- and spontaneously in an interview that is)

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
Maybe OP should have inserted "as" before scary, because there are some that will drive down on that and attack it. What can you do.
OP's own words when confronted with Cameron saying it wasn't meant to be "as" scary:

Okay, and Cameron on the commentary says differently. So we've both got contradicting statements from the same source. Thus we're at an impasse,

Again, I don't know why you're insisting you know better than them what they mean when they have been very clear. There is nothing wrong with their ability to communicate for themselves.

Local Trouble

I thought he was from Arkansas.  ???

Voodoo Magic

:laugh:

Quote from: SiL on Sep 09, 2020, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
Maybe OP should have inserted "as" before scary, because there are some that will drive down on that and attack it. What can you do.
OP's own words when confronted with Cameron saying it wasn't meant to be "as" scary:

Okay, and Cameron on the commentary says differently. So we've both got contradicting statements from the same source. Thus we're at an impasse,

I thought it was a reply to featurette versus commentary where Cameron talked about fear and never mentioned "as scary" as SM did.

QuoteAgain, I don't know why you're insisting you know better than them what they mean when they have been very clear. There is nothing wrong with their ability to communicate for themselves.

I guess we're both guilty of that SM, I mean SiL.   ;) ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed