Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 124,322 times)

SM

I don't usually read childishly asinine bickering, but when I do it's this thread.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2016, 09:56:49 PM
I don't usually read childishly asinine bickering, but when I do it's this thread.

Anyone who's been participating in Alien fan forums as long as you have must have seen enough asinine bickering to last anyone else a lifetime.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 04, 2016, 09:55:24 PM
Nah, you're not being pretentious at all.  Alien 3 truly is a great film.  Perhaps the film was pretentious, in trying to deal with these topics, but I still think it did it in a great way.  That being said, I will always enjoy it on its own merits, but I would still prefer a different story told instead.  One which includes some of the great characters established in Aliens.

I've never said I disliked Alien 3.  I do think it was out of left field though, and I would have preferred if the series retained the characters and the vibe of Aliens.  It really is just entertainment.  There is nothing wrong with that.  To each their own.

Well, I think we can all agree that that's what it all comes down to in the end. Different blokes different strokes.

In the meantime I guess we'll just have to sit down to wait and see, and we're going to have to wait for a long time since I doubt they will start this project until after the sequel of A:C has been released and FOX has all the cards on the table. Who knows, maybe they'll screw us all?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 04, 2016, 10:20:10 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 04, 2016, 09:55:24 PM
Nah, you're not being pretentious at all.  Alien 3 truly is a great film.  Perhaps the film was pretentious, in trying to deal with these topics, but I still think it did it in a great way.  That being said, I will always enjoy it on its own merits, but I would still prefer a different story told instead.  One which includes some of the great characters established in Aliens.

I've never said I disliked Alien 3.  I do think it was out of left field though, and I would have preferred if the series retained the characters and the vibe of Aliens.  It really is just entertainment.  There is nothing wrong with that.  To each their own.

Well, I think we can all agree that that's what it all comes down to in the end. Different blokes different strokes.

In the meantime I guess we'll just have to sit down to wait and see, and we're going to have to wait for a long time since I doubt they will start this project until after the sequel of A:C has been released and FOX has all the cards on the table. Who knows, maybe they'll screw us all?

They'll nuke us from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2016, 09:56:49 PM

LOL.  Which side of the fence do you find yourself sitting on if I may ask?

I noted your suggestion as to how to bring back Hicks and Newt.  It works, but I don't think there would be a point to having these characters without their memories.  They would be different characters.  People are more than the bodies they inhabit.  Such a situation could create interesting drama for Ripley 8 but it would be a hollow gesture.  These are not Hicks and Newt.  I say either do a full retcon or don't do it at all.  Blomkamp needs to have intestinal fortitude.  Weaver is good backup for him.

SM

SM

My stance is - "Who the hell cares?"

If it's entertaining - great; if not - then it's not. It's a movie. 

It's great that people are passionate, and the "nah, you", "nah YOU!" incessant back and forth has been mostly restrained.  But it's still 2 dozen pages of incessant "nah, you", "nah, YOU!" back and forth achieving precisely nothing.

BishopShouldGo

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2016, 02:32:21 AM

It's great that people are passionate, and the "nah, you", "nah YOU!" incessant back and forth has been mostly restrained.  But it's still 2 dozen pages of incessant "nah, you", "nah, YOU!" back and forth achieving precisely nothing.

I think we've all established our views and our points have been made. SM is right, we're just running in circles and mostly repeating ourselves... mostly...  :laugh:

FiorinaFury161

Master

It seems we've got vicious circle here

Couldn't resist either.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Sep 02, 2016, 07:55:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with Alien 3 or Resurrection, some people just wanted something else from these films and didn't get their expectations met, so they understandably felt gutted.

I wouldn't say that. While I really don't want to see the retcon, it's not because I think those films are amazing. Alien 3 and Resurrection have stuff that I enjoy but they are fundamentally flawed films, I just love Alien 3 in spite of many of those flaws and happen to think that it's a really good narrative finish for Ripley.

Quote from: Master on Sep 02, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
If you said A3 is basically a remake of Alien, I'd think about it. But Aliens? It's hard to make sequel as different to original as Aliens to Alien.

The only thing Alien 3 really has going for it that could make you want to call it a remake of Alien is that it's one Alien with no weapons. Aliens is structurally quite similar to Alien and more of a "remake" than anything Alien 3 does.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Sep 05, 2016, 03:09:20 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2016, 02:32:21 AM

I think we've all established our views and our points have been made. SM is right, we're just running in circles and mostly repeating ourselves... mostly...  :laugh:

Unfortunately it's really the only sticking point of discussion regarding Alien 3.2 at the minute. Just isn't going anywhere at the minute.  :laugh:

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
Alien 3 and Resurrection have stuff that I enjoy but they are fundamentally flawed films,

A lot of people keep saying they are 'flawed' but I never understood what that was about.  Unless you're talking about the theatrical versions.  The extended versions fixed all the flaws for me.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 05, 2016, 08:54:23 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
Alien 3 and Resurrection have stuff that I enjoy but they are fundamentally flawed films,

A lot of people keep saying they are 'flawed' but I never understood what that was about.  Unless you're talking about the theatrical versions.  The extended versions fixed all the flaws for me.

The inexplicable egg, the prop continuity gaffes and the horrid puppetry effects are the only real flaws with Alien 3 as far as I'm concerned.  The rest of it really boils down to taste.  I found it to be terribly dull compared to its predecessors, but I also think it has some of the best acting and photography of the entire series.

SM

The Assembly of Alien3 didn't fix any flaws and created a couple of new ones.

Local Trouble

Yeah, it prolonged my boredom.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed