Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 186,713 times)

The Kurgan

Whatever the future holds, what do we have to lose?

It's not like Fox was hitting homerun after homerun the last 30 years considering Alien/Predator/AVP.

Maybe whatever change awaits is exactly what the franchise needs.

Nukiemorph

Richman678

I bet it gets the tv series treatment. Which i like but also hate...lol

However i am very worried they will go the PG-13 route with the Alien series.

Magegg

As long as the story is actually good (unlike Covenant) I don't mind a PG-13 rating for the next Alien film.

The story is what matters the most.

Maybe they can release an "unrated cut" later.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

A luciferian, psychosexual android ascending to God-hood conducting perverse feats of creation is a pretty damn good story if you ask me.  :laugh: ;D

Anyway, I don't think Ridley finding the alien's inclusion at Disneyland distasteful necessarily means he "hates" Disney  :laugh: Recent interviews indicate that he's hoping there's still a place for him there after the merger is complete, and that they're "crazy" not to keep making more. He loves working, if they want him to keep going he'll do it.

The Old One

The Old One

A series inherently about about cosmic and corporate rape?

Hard to imagine a PG-13 version of that as anything other
than the most watered down, lowest common denominator appealing fare.

Magegg

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 06, 2019, 06:33:38 PMA luciferian, psychosexual android ascending to God-hood conducting perverse feats of creation is a pretty damn good story if you ask me.  :laugh: ;D
It's a good idea for a story, but with a bad execution.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:36:18 PMA series inherently about about cosmic and corporate rape?
Hard to imagine a PG-13 version of that as anything other
than the most watered down, lowest common denominator appealing fare.
Metaphorical/allegorical rape. Also, not always. Not every being attacked by the xeno is a metaphor for a rape victim.

And I wouldn't mind it taking a new spin, as long as it's interesting.

Necronomicon II

The execution was juicy for me.  ;D *plays Wagner*

The Old One

The Old One

No, physical rape and allegorical.

It forcibly renders the host comatose, then rapes them to produce their offspring.
It's not an ancillary element of the Alien, it's at the core of what they do.
Never even mind the obvious sexual connotations of their design.

And corporate, it's a rather obvious big part of the series the secondary villain
made out of apathy towards their employee' suffering- not direct aggression.

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:51:28 PMIt forcibly renders the host comatose, then rapes them to produce their offspring.
If it was rape, Kane would have been traumatized after his encounter with the xeno. He wasn't, he was completely ok until his chest bursted.
It wasn't rape, it was infection.

The xeno attack is often a rape allegory, but not always.

The Old One

The Old One

Rape victims do not always suffer trauma, or immediate trauma.
But sex, without consent is rape regardless.

What the Alien does is ram a phallus down your throat whilst strangling you and then forcing you to give birth,
that's a rape. One Kane doesn't remember, like many, many date-rape victims.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

^ Kane was arguably repressing the whole facehugger event which can be a form of coping with trauma.

But it seems Disney will keep the R-rating anyway, so all seems well. At least in that regard.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:55:46 PMRape victims do not always suffer trauma, or immediate trauma.
So, why is it a rape, then?

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:55:46 PMBut sex, without consent is rape regardless.
Only if you insist in seeing the xeno's implantation as an act of rape...

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:55:46 PMWhat the Alien does is ram a phallus down your throat whilst strangling you and then forcing you to give birth,
And wasps implants you with your sting to put your eggs on you. Is being stung by a wasp a rape? Don't think so.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:55:46 PMthat's a rape. One Kane doesn't remember, like many, many date-rape victims.
Then rape is something that is a symbol of rape even if it doesn't have many psychological consequences. Like, you know, rape has.

Alien 3's Ripley is a rape victim. Kane is not. Most of the xenos (who, you know, are actually killed by the adult xeno, not by a cherstburster implantation) are not rape victims.

Alien's never been always about rape. We can move on from that part and see what more possibilities the Alien has in storytelling. It's been proven in novels, comic books and that.

I don't even think future Alien movies need the 'cherstbuster moment'. It was surprising in the first movie (victims got a tube inserted in their mouths for the future shock moment, as it won't leave any wound and be unexpected), but it's run its course.

So much it became really forced in Alien Resurrection and they have to come up with the Backburster gimmick in order to try to shock again (spoilers: it didn't work).

You can have a grown xeno in the next movie, or simply incubators exploding, like in that badass background of AVP arcade.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 06, 2019, 07:01:31 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 06:55:46 PMRape victims do not always suffer trauma, or immediate trauma.
So, why is it a rape, then?

I don't need to go any farther that this; Are you f**king for real?

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:05:24 PMI don't need to go any farther that this; Are you f**king for real?
I get that the facehugger thing is sometimes used to -sometimes- present big allegories about rape, but the Alien series is much more than that. Not everything is about rape in the Alien series.

Weird creatures implanting larvae doesn't have to be necessarily R rated because "it could be seen as rape". Most people don't even get the message. There are tons of other movies, series, tv shows and so, like the X-Men comics, where creatures with similar reproduction methods exist and they're gross but perfectly PG-rated.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed