10min Alien Covenant Footage From Alien Day Screenings

Started by iain, Apr 27, 2017, 08:33:23 PM

Author
10min Alien Covenant Footage From Alien Day Screenings (Read 37,643 times)

Ingwar

In Aliens the atmosphere on LV-426 was breathable but it didn't mean that Marines shouldn't have worn protective suits. They didn't know what had happened to the colony. It might have been a virus who wiped out people at Hadley's Hope and then what? They weren't fully prepared. That's the fact. Do I care? Not at all. It's just a movie. Sometimes you have to sacrifice scientific accuracy and realism for the sake of the story.

reecebomb

reecebomb

The idiocy of the Prometheus crew was very much obvious for anybody with common sense, not just nerds on the forum. And by no means is it comparable to the Aliens. Yes they didn't think things through in Aliens, but it's no way comparable to the simply bad writing in Prometheus, the end.

We shall see how Covenant turns out, but i personally don't see any improvements when it comes to the crews competency, yet the Faris thing doesn't bother me, but there are way worse offences. Snooping aroung on a unknown and uncharted planet with no protective gear and precautionary measures is pretty damn dumb, and for the final time it's not comparable to Aliens. When Daniels says you hear that? nothing, no birds, no animals, nothing just shows they did f**k all before they walked out like exiting an airplane in unknown part of Africa.

Saw the Covenant preview on the big screen yesterday. I liked it more this time around but the cgi is at times still very obviously computer generated, especially bad where
Spoiler
the neomorph breaks and crawls out from the door window and some close ups before
[close]
. I't was interesting to see how much the  A L I E N contrasted with the Covenant. The Alien is very slow burning (but not at all boring) that let's the atmosphere truly sink in and picks up the pace gradually after the chest burst scene. While the Covenant had super quick editing that may become tiresome after awhile. The same could be said about the xenomorph, it's this very mystifying and disturbing elegant creature of unknown origins that kills it's prey like a perverted serial killer while the Covenant creatures act like super aggressive animals with rabies, with none of the grace.

On a positive note i think the dynamic and somewhat organic line delivery between the actors n the dropship scene is definitely an improvement over Prometheus.

Predaker

I wouldn't call it giving ALIENS a pass and then not doing the same for the other films. If something stupid really sticks out in a film, people will notice and call it out.

Quote from: Darth Vile on Apr 30, 2017, 12:39:39 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 29, 2017, 11:11:50 PM

That's certainly your prerogative to consider the marines and how they generally operated in ALIENS as "really goofy," although I would venture a guess that the vast majority of others would disagree with such an assessment.

The "vast majority of other" moviegoers are just as bothered with the logic gaps in behaviour of characters in Aliens as they are with the crew of the Prometheus. That's the point. They aren't that bothered. It's only people like you and me.

I disagree. ALIENS didn't rise to the level of stupidity seen in Prometheus and it accomplished what it set out to do as well. Prometheus, not so much.

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 30, 2017, 01:56:36 AM
Having the Covenant colonists explore a brand new planet with no protective gear and to then explicitly show them suffering for said foolishness (spore infection) isn't going to do the film any favors, that's for sure - but as long as stuff like that doesn't end up overshadowing what the film sets out to accomplish, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Quote from: Darth Vile
You mean like showing the crew of the Sulaco explicitly suffering for the decision to use ammo underneath/ near the cooling system? Or suffering from the foolishness of taking all crew members down to the surface and leaving the Sulaco unmanned??? 

Not comparable.

The marines weren't told why they had to give up their ammo and they were also faced with an immediate threat to their lives. The Sulaco was mostly autonomous and Bishop was able to remotely fly the second dropship down to the surface for them.

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 30, 2017, 02:12:05 PM
In Aliens the atmosphere on LV-426 was breathable but it didn't mean that Marines shouldn't have worn protective suits. They didn't know what had happened to the colony. It might have been a virus who wiped out people at Hadley's Hope and then what? They weren't fully prepared. That's the fact. Do I care? Not at all. It's just a movie. Sometimes you have to sacrifice scientific accuracy and realism for the sake of the story.

Its not really an issue because they never had any reason to believe the colony was wiped out by a virus.

Ingwar

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 30, 2017, 02:39:05 PM

Its not really an issue because they never had any reason to believe the colony was wiped out by a virus.

They knew they were going to confront with alien species. They barely knew anything about it/them. The key word you used is believe. You shouldn't make military decisions based upon you beliefs and predictions without appriopriate knowledge when you encounter deadly foreign species. You should know. And if you don't know you should be prepared for anything. Even for deadly alien pathogens. Marines in Aliens ignored that.

Predaker

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 30, 2017, 02:51:25 PM

They knew they were going to confront with alien species. They barely knew anything about it/them. The key word you used is believe. You shouldn't make military decisions based upon you beliefs and predictions without appriopriate knowledge when you encounter deadly foreign species. You should know. And if you don't know you should be prepared for anything. Even for deadly alien pathogens. Marines in Aliens ignored that.

The point is that it's not a problem because the film never gives them a solid reason to take such measures. If there was talk of deadly contagious viruses and then they went in without the necessary precautions, that would be something to take issue with. Otherwise it's just nitpicking for the sake of it.

s7habo

Quote from: reecebomb on Apr 30, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
The idiocy of the Prometheus crew was very much obvious for anybody with common sense, not just nerds on the forum. And by no means is it comparable to the Aliens. Yes they didn't think things through in Aliens, but it's no way comparable to the simply bad writing in Prometheus, the end.

We shall see how Covenant turns out, but i personally don't see any improvents when it comes to the crews competency, yet the Faris thing doesn't bother me, but there are way worse offences. Snooping aroung on a unknown and uncharted planet with no protective gear and precautionary measures is pretty damn dumb, and for the final time it's not comparable to Aliens. When Daniels says you hear that? nothing, no birds, no animals, nothing just shows they did f**k all before they walked out like exiting an airplane in unknown part of Africa.

Saw the Covenant preview on the big screen yesterday. I liked it more this time around but the cgi is at times still very obviously computer generated, especially bad where
Spoiler
the neomorph breaks and crawls out from the door window and some close ups before
[close]
. I't was interesting to see how much the  A L I E N contrasted with the Covenant. The Alien is very slow burning (but not at all boring) that let's the atmosphere truly sink in and picks up the pace gradually after the chest burst scene. While the Covenant had super quick editing that may become tiresome after awhile. The same could be said about the xenomorph, it's this very mystifying and disturbing elegant creature of unknown origins that kills it's preay like a perverted serial killer while the Covenant creatures act like super aggressive animals with rabies, with none of the grace.

On a positive note i think the dynamic and somewhat organic line delivery between the actors n the dropship scene is definitely an improvement over Prometheus.

IMHO by far the best comment here!

Ingwar

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 30, 2017, 03:00:50 PM

The point is that it's not a problem because the film never gives them a solid reason to take such measures. If there was talk of deadly contagious viruses and then they went in without the necessary precautions, that would be something to take issue with. Otherwise it's just nitpicking for the sake of it.

I'm going to repeat myself. They knew they were going to encounter alien species. In real life any military leader would make sure that everyone should wear protective suit. We're talking here about foreign species who were responsible of wiping out whole colony. You never know what can happen. This is extreme situation. For me it would have been sufficient reason even if the words like virus and infection haven't been used during the mission briefing. Put the protective suits on. It's no brainer. But as I said before, do I care? No. In the movie/book you have to sometimes sacrifice realism for the sake of the story.

Predaker

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 30, 2017, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 30, 2017, 03:00:50 PM

I'm going to repeat myself. They knew they were going to encounter alien species. In real life any military leader would make sure that everyone should wear protective suit. We're talking here about foreign species who were responsible of wiping out whole colony. You never know what can happen. This is extreme situation. For me it would have been sufficient reason even if the words like virus and infection haven't been used during the mission briefing. Put the protective suits on. It's no brainer. But as I said before, do I care? No. In the movie/book you have to sometimes sacrifice realism for the sake of the story.

ALIENS doesn't have them suffer for it while Covenant does, so they aren't comparable in this regard. To what degree that matters has yet to be seen.

Ingwar

We have to wait. It's hard to judge a movie without seeing it. I assume that they will address protective suit issue in Covenant. There were few stills of the crew having something like the mission briefing.

SpeedyMaxx

You guys are making way too much out of both movies.

Here are the facts: In Aliens LV-426/Acheron has been colonized for decades, its atmosphere terraformed to be safe for human life. The Colonial Marines therefore have zero reason to believe (despite Ripley's testimony) that there is a biological/airborne contagion which they must wear protective suits for. "But but but what if they thought the alien could be an airborne infection - " They didn't. The end. No discussion.

In Alien: Covenant you will almost certainly have a scene where the crew runs some sort of scans from orbit and determines that the planet is safe, non-toxic and habitable for human life. Why do they not run around in hazmat suits anyway Just In Case? Because it's a movie. The end.

Have a good Sunday, folks. This is a boring waste of time.

BishopShouldGo

SpeedyMaxx the hero. This protective suit stuff is obnoxious.

Evanus

Yeah seriously, what the f*ck was that all about?!  :D

reecebomb

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 30, 2017, 04:06:54 PM

In Alien: Covenant you will almost certainly have a scene where the crew runs some sort of scans from orbit and determines that the planet is safe, non-toxic and habitable for human life. Why do they not run around in hazmat suits anyway Just In Case? Because it's a movie. The end.

Have a good Sunday, folks. This is a boring waste of time.

This indeed is waste of time, but as i've said above the comment from Daniels when they have their first stroll proves they have pretty much no clue what they are doing, forgot to add we don't know what the f**ks out there, and who could forget this is wheat lol.

Anything in Aliens isn't as lousy as what we've seen so far in Covenant or the Prometheus clusterf**k, explained multiple times in the last few pages, yet still the arguing hasn't stopped ffss. In Aliens, the company probably thinks it's just a downed transmitter or something. Only Burke hopes there might be something there to make money from and gets a bunch of incompetent overconfident marines with not much combat experience. The Prometheus again, was just bad writing.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: reecebomb on Apr 30, 2017, 04:39:23 PM
This indeed is waste of time, but as i've said above the comment from Daniels when they have their first stroll proves they have pretty much no clue what they are doing, forgot to add we don't know what the f**ks out there, and who could forget this is wheat lol.

She is speaking more generally. Not about whether they're wearing hazmat suits. If Daniels felt otherwise she wouldn't be out there. But you already knew that because you saw the same clips of her that we did, you're just trying to make an issue of it because you're pissed about the movie.

If you can excuse Aliens which had a perfectly good in-plot reason, you can excuse Covenant which very likely has a similar reason baked into dialogue - scans revealing a safe atmosphere and environment they can interact with. Lest we forget, the spores are almost certainly not indigenous to the planet/native to the environment.

I have my own issues with Covenant and its story. I don't need to make up other ones just to keep hitting it. I see nothing incorrect about its team of colonists exploring a distress call provided they determine the planet is reasonably safe for them to interact with and I'm not going to pretend it's so different from Aliens just to keep justifying my negativity towards unrelated elements of the movie's plot. I don't just need you to stop insulting my intelligence, I need you to stop circumventing your own.

Oh: And there is also absolutely zero evidence that the Marines in Aliens are incompetent or inexperienced. James Cameron never presents them that way or suggests that they are. Ever. All he ever says is they are overconfident due to a history of past experience and victory. You don't like them, that's your problem. It has nothing to do with the actual material in the movie.

Predaker

"How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?" "Thirty-eight. Simulated." "How many combat drops?" "Uh, two... Including this one."

;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed