Predator: Hunting Grounds @ EGX

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 03, 2019, 12:26:20 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ EGX (Read 4,229 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Still preparing to buy a PS4

Voodoo Magic

Me too brother! :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

My report is up!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/games/predator-hunting-grounds/eurogamer-expo-2019/

First of three gameplay videos is up too (still needs time to process and crank out the 1080). Will upload the other 2 tomorrow morning.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2019, 09:08:02 PM
My report is up!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/games/predator-hunting-grounds/eurogamer-expo-2019/

First and three gameplay videos is up too (still needs time to process and crank out the 1080). Will upload the other 2 tomorrow morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbWLONVD92c

Great article Hicks! Very extensive! The video was fun to watch too, although that Predator was definitely an inexperienced Youngblood!  :D. Still, it definitely got me more amped for this game.

And I like what I'm seeing with the Predkour. I personally found the AvP 2010 Predator focus mechanics a bit difficult to manage. Oh that ledge I can't jump on. Oh wait I can, I just needed to position myself closer. Too much stutter, stop and go. But here in Predator HG it just seems so much more fluid and fast. I'm loving this red rail system, at least from afar!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 28, 2019, 10:49:15 PM
Great article Hicks! Very extensive! The video was fun to watch too, although that Predator was definitely an inexperienced Youngblood!  :D. Still, it definitely got me more amped for this game.

From what I saw, it will take a couple of goes to really get the hang of. Very few players seemed to really just pick the Predator up and do massively well with it. There were a couple, and I did pretty reasonably with it, but the Fireteam was winning most of the Sunday.

From speaking to the Sony reps, there'd been a pretty funny swinging of which sides were dominating. One day had been mostly Predator, another a good mix, and the Sunday was mostly the Fireteam.

QuoteAnd I like what I'm seeing with the Predkour. I personally found the AvP 2010 Predator focus mechanics a bit difficult to manage. Oh that ledge I can't jump on. Oh wait I can, I just needed to position myself closer. Too much stutter, stop and go. But here in Predator HG it just seems so much more fluid and fast. I'm loving this red rail system, at least from afar!

I always got on really well with the focus mechanics in AvP 2010. I found the prompts quite easy to tell you where you could get to, but it was a game I played a lot and learned where I could get to. Predkour is definitely more fluid though.

That's all the footage I got. I didn't want to get in the way too much. Sorry this one is a little shakier, I couldn't get the tripod in a decent position. It's a little more interesting in terms of the footage though.

Kradan

Kradan

Are there gonna be any night, rainy, foggy, maybe even snowy maps ?

Corporal Hicks

I don't know, but I'll try to fit that in in our pre-release Q&A.

Kailem

Kailem

Thanks for the videos and write-up!

I'm not surprised you didn't get to see the mud mechanic in effect since it's probably not something most people knew about, and even the ones who did I'd imagine you have to go to specific spots on the map to do it and nobody would have known where those were unless they stumbled on them randomly. Very cool that you got to use the self-destruct though!

I almost feel like Stargazer being the bad guys is a holdover from the original version of The Predator, back when Edward James Olmos' character was going to be introduced and order Traeger's death and the US military was going to clearly be shown as being separate from them. As it stands now it feels kinda weird that, as the gameplay trailer implied, they're being explicitly named as the baddies you're going after.

But whatever, I'll just head canon it as being some folks who used for work for them now teaming up with some random guerrillas for whatever reason. :P

As you mentioned, hopefully the Predator's spawn point isn't solely determined by where the fire team decides to spawn, otherwise it'll be eventually become easy for the Predator to tell where they are after playing a few games and learning the locations, so hopefully that's not the case.

The individual fire team members having unique perks is cool too, definitely gives you a good reason to try and have one of each on your team (or at least those two anyway) and not just because they have different weapons. Tagging the Predator and being able to keep track of him for a while s he's zipping around the trees seems like it'd be really useful.

I love some of those little details like putting the skull of a victim on your belt, complete with flapping jaw as you run around, the claw marks on the trees as you climb them and also just the little animations of the Predator swinging round the trunk of the trees or pushing off of it as he moves from branch to branch. Those are all really cool little touches.

And yeah I really like what they've done with the Predator's movement as well. I was also a fan of the 2010 focus jumping but this looks even better and more fluid. It looks like it's going to be really easy to quickly move around the treetops while still being able to keep an eye on your surroundings and your targets. I'm really glad they went in kind of an Assassin's Creed direction with it, I really like it.

And yeah apparently those little "pulse bubbles" are generated by sound. I remember reading in an earlier hands-on that one of the devs mentioned that it can often be better for the fire team to start out silently, taking out enemies by stealth with their melee weapons so that they don't alert the Predator to their whereabouts too early.

I kinda like that you can only see those blips when you're using your thermal vision too, and how that also seems to be the way that you can "scan" the enemies to be able to tell which ones are the real human players and which are the AI. I noticed in the videos that the red markers over the human players only appeared in thermal, then disappeared when the Predator went back to normal vision. That's a cool touch that really encourages the use of the vision mode beyond just making it easier to pick out your targets.

I also noticed in the fire team video that when you shoot an enemy you see to get both XP and "WP", I'm thinking "weapon points?" Perhaps attachment and cosmetics for guns will be levelled up and unlocked individually depending on how much you use them, alongside general overall player XP?

Seeing this though does make me worry that this might literally be the one and only map in the game though. I know Illfonic has previously said there were going to be "variations", I just wonder if that's going to end up meaning "go here to press X instead of here" with nothing about the map itself really changing.

I hope I'm wrong, but given their track record with Friday the 13th and one of the biggest flaws with that game being its lack of maps, it is a worry.

But regardless I'm still super excited for it! Good to see some matches all the way through finally too! I can totally imagine the Predator in that second video shouting "you got lucky!" as that lone player escaped at the end! :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2019, 08:34:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6S_1wfxShk

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 28, 2019, 10:49:15 PM
And I like what I'm seeing with the Predkour. I personally found the AvP 2010 Predator focus mechanics a bit difficult to manage. Oh that ledge I can't jump on. Oh wait I can, I just needed to position myself closer. Too much stutter, stop and go. But here in Predator HG it just seems so much more fluid and fast. I'm loving this red rail system, at least from afar!

I always got on really well with the focus mechanics in AvP 2010. I found the prompts quite easy to tell you where you could get to, but it was a game I played a lot and learned where I could get to. Predkour is definitely more fluid though.

After you saying you played it a lot, now that I'm thinking this through, I only played campaign AvP 2010, not multiplayer. Maybe if I replayed multiplayer maps and had them down pat including what objects I can jump on to, and from what distance, I'd be more favorable of the focus mechanics overall than I currently stand. Things that make you go hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCb_zvZLDd0

That's all the footage I got. I didn't want to get in the way too much. Sorry this one is a little shakier, I couldn't get the tripod in a decent position. It's a little more interesting in terms of the footage though.

Boy do I love the simple things, like the little touch of the bloody skull trophy being attached to the Predator's belt versus disappearing into an invisible pocket!

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I really loved the skull on the belt too. I didn't notice if you got more for more trophy kills though!  :'(

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I do realize there has to be a limit at some point, but I would love to see multiple trophies accumulate, maybe a couple bloody skull and spines hanging down its back.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2019, 02:04:50 PM
Yeah, I really loved the skull on the belt too. I didn't notice if you got more for more trophy kills though!  :'(

Was there a specific way to do a trophy kill rather than a "quick claim"? I remember we've seen a video of what looked to be a trophy kill with the multiple wrist blade stabs before a spine rip, but I don't think we've ever seen anyone do it in any of these longer gameplay videos.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Oct 29, 2019, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2019, 02:04:50 PM

Was there a specific way to do a trophy kill rather than a "quick claim"? I remember we've seen a video of what looked to be a trophy kill with the multiple wrist blade stabs before a spine rip, but I don't think we've ever seen anyone do it in any of these longer gameplay videos.

And maybe NPC trophies are different from Player trophies... the latter being more weighted with importance.

Corporal Hicks

I don't believe you can do the trophy kills on the NPCs. That said, you see different things as the Predator vs the Fireteam. When you're trophy killed as a member of the Fireteam, you see the cutscene. When you're a Predator, you just do you stabby stabs, grab the skull and move on.

Kailem

Kailem

Aww, really? That kinda sucks. I was looking forward to having a bunch of customisable trophy kills, like Jason's kills in F13. Now if you can't even see them when you're playing as the Predator there's really no point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed