The Predator - CHINA release

Started by Tetsujin, Sep 09, 2018, 03:00:00 PM

Author
The Predator - CHINA release (Read 20,224 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 01, 2018, 09:59:26 AM
Quote from: spinksy on Oct 01, 2018, 09:17:55 AM
I've been trying to find the box office numbers for Predators from China alone but haven't been able to find a definite answer.

should hopefully make a fair bit there though?
Predators wasnt released in China in 2010.

A China release won't "save" the movie, but more money at this point is always a good thing. It won't be profitable in it's theatrical run, unless it makes a 150 million in China, but China could actually push this thing, so that it can make some money for the studio in it's home release, which these movies sell very good on.

That being said, it's at a 115 million now, which is actually pretty good. I just wish they didn't waste as much money on this, with the reshoots at night, the scrapped sets and two fully functional hero Predator suits... this movie could have saved at least 20 million.

Either way, we won't get a sequel to this, expect another movie in 5 - 8 years in a full blown reboot with another studio. Disney won't make a Predator movie, they will sell the rights.

"Terminator Genisys" (which didn't even clear 100 Million domestically), practically broke even thanks to China, and China was the only driving force in getting a "Pacific Rim" sequel greenlit. However, in regards to our favorite green blooded alien, I really have no clue how "The Predator" will be received there.  I would love it to do well there and recover, not necessarily for a direct sequel, but for the studio to recognize enough viability still exists in the franchise to greenlight another film. Sure Paramount cancelled the Genisys trilogy, but saw enough success with "Terminator Genisys" to give a new Terminator another go.

As a consolation prize, I would love a Predator series on a streaming service, but since Disney acquired the rights and are kicking off their own streaming service,  I really wonder if they would consider Predator (and Alien for that matter) a good fit.

spinksy

spinksy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 01, 2018, 03:21:09 PM
I've been trying to find the box office numbers for Predators from China alone but haven't been able to find a definite answer.

A China release won't "save" the movie, but more money at this point is always a good thing. It won't be profitable in it's theatrical run, unless it makes a 150 million in China, but China could actually push this thing, so that it can make some money for the studio in it's home release, which these movies sell very good on.

That being said, it's at a 115 million now, which is actually pretty good. I just wish they didn't waste as much money on this, with the reshoots at night, the scrapped sets and two fully functional hero Predator suits... this movie could have saved at least 20 million.

Either way, we won't get a sequel to this, expect another movie in 5 - 8 years in a full blown reboot with another studio. Disney won't make a Predator movie, they will sell the rights.

"Terminator Genisys" (which didn't even clear 100 Million domestically), practically broke even thanks to China, and China was the only driving force in getting a "Pacific Rim" sequel greenlit. However, in regards to our favorite green blooded alien, I really have no clue how "The Predator" will be received there.  I would love it to do well there and recover, not necessarily for a direct sequel, but for the studio to recognize enough viability still exists in the franchise to greenlight another film. Sure Paramount cancelled the Genisys trilogy, but saw enough success with "Terminator Genisys" to give a new Terminator another go.

As a consolation prize, I would love a Predator series on a streaming service, but since Disney acquired the rights and are kicking off their own streaming service,  I really wonder if they would consider Predator (and Alien for that matter) a good fit.

Exactly this, I want the film to make some money purely so that Fox/Disney can see that even with mainly negative reviews and fan opinion it can make money.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Poster:

bobcunk

bobcunk

I'm hoping Disney will create another studio for its mature movies. Maybe a netflix series or somthing.

newagescamartist

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 01, 2018, 12:25:10 PM
So no pussy jokes for them... Sad...

I'm being 100% serious, if they took out the pussy jokes it's not even remotely worth seeing. The laughs carried this thing. Certainly wasn't the plot.

skull-splitter

Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 04, 2018, 03:41:08 AM

I'm hoping Disney will create another studio for its mature movies. Maybe a netflix series or somthing.
They can use Fox like Sony uses tristar columbia, right?

Finally, the Fox fanfare and searchlight back in front of Star Wars...

Corporal Hicks

It's sounding like it maybe a possibility that Fox will still exist under Disney.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 04, 2018, 07:42:27 AM
It's sounding like it maybe a possibility that Fox will still exist under Disney.

It'd be a small miracle to get Predator in a film again, but that's certainly interesting news.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: spinksy on Oct 01, 2018, 05:56:49 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 01, 2018, 03:21:09 PM

Exactly this, I want the film to make some money purely so that Fox/Disney can see that even with mainly negative reviews and fan opinion it can make money.
This movie has the chance to break even, but that's about it i'm afraid.

The rule of thumb: A movie breaks even if it doubles it's budget, if it triples the budget you made good money and it's considered a success.

Without China, this movie is looking at a gross of around 130 million, so technically, it needs 176 million to break even and for the studio to not lose money, that would be 46 million for China.

Possible, but even then no one will be jumping for joy. The DVD/Blu-Ray/VOD sales will make a profit though.

I agree with this: If this makes a 150+ million worldwide and sells well on home video, we could be looking at a small Predator movie in the next couple of years again.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 04, 2018, 01:03:41 PM
If this makes a 150+ million worldwide and sells well on home video, we could be looking at a small Predator movie in the next couple of years again.

Here's hoping!

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Let's face it guys, it's clearly a big disappointment to say the least... I'd say it's even a real failure overall... I always thought it would be from the get go. It was deemed to be a Shane Black movie with Predator shoved in, obviously this wouldn't appeal to as many people as for other big 2018 movies. Now adding studio meddling (who seem pretty bad on this one), a last minute sex scandal, and there you go, financial failure.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 04, 2018, 01:39:21 PM
Let's face it guys, it's clearly a big disappointment to say the least... I'd say it's even a real failure overall... I always thought it would be from the get go. It was deemed to be a Shane Black movie with Predator shoved in, obviously this wouldn't appeal to as many people as for other big 2018 movies.

I am personally not guaging this in the prism of "The Predator" being deemed as a financial success, I don't think it ever will be perceived that way, however I am just interested in the health of the overall franchise.

I keep going to "Terminator Genisys" because that is a bigger franchise, had a budget almost twice the size of "The Predator" and only made $89 Million not in its opening weekend... but $89M TOTAL in the United States. It didn't even open #1.  But it did break close to even (thanks to China's grosses), apparently giving the studio enough confidence to try Terminator again, just not connected to Genisys.

So that's what I am hoping for with Predator.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteLet's face it guys, it's clearly a big disappointment to say the least
No one said it wasn't, it was certainly not what FOX was hoping for when they greenlit a 88 million budget.

BUT, there is a chance to look beyong this movie, because it was a test, and attempt, to make more money if you spend more money, that was wrong, but it still makes good money if you look at the history of the franchise. Depending on China, it could be the biggest grossing Predator movie to date.

And given the fact that they churned them out for 35 - 40 million in the past, there is the chance that they see further potential in smaller storys.

Also, a franchise with a fanbase like this, there is always more to it than just the movie, you start a whole wave of sales. They release books for this (novels, prequel-books), action figures (Necas highest selling line to date) and replicas in all forms, plus it boost sales for the old movies as well. And on each sold piece, the studio makes money.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 04, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
No one said it wasn't, it was certainly not what FOX was hoping for when they greenlit a 88 million budget.

BUT, there is a chance to look beyong this movie, because it was a test, and attempt, to make more money if you spend more money, that was wrong, but it still makes good money if you look at the history of the franchise. Depending on China, it could be the biggest grossing Predator movie to date.

And given the fact that they churned them out for 35 - 40 million in the past, there is the chance that they see further potential in smaller storys.

Also, a franchise with a fanbase like this, there is always more to it than just the movie, you start a whole wave of sales. They release books for this (novels, prequel-books), action figures (Necas highest selling line to date) and replicas in all forms, plus it boost sales for the old movies as well. And on each sold piece, the studio makes money.
The problem is that they have made a movie that non fans dont like, and most of fans dont like it as well... It deserves to be a failure, they should erase it and make a new movie in the future, with predator serious tone. Not a prequel,,, please no more covenant type shit

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 04, 2018, 02:09:35 PM

True.  There are still ways in which the movie can indirectly benefit the franchise as a whole, by paving the way for smaller stories (now that we know the "big picture" equation isn't that appropriate) and more merchandise, i.e. comics, video games, etc. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed