All Star Wars

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,848,122 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did Hamill forget his own line from later in the same movie (that wasn't deleted):

"It's not that I like the Empire; I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now."

???

SM

SM

Yeah I was wondering about that myself.

But I can see where it's coming from.  The Imperial Academy was his ticket off Tatooine and he'd take it and work out sides later.  Much like Biggs.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

IIRC, before everything got retconned to hell and back, "the Academy" was originally just some unaffiliated off-world educational institution that often produced qualified "spacers" and not necessarily Imperial officers.

QuoteBIGGS: I know it's a long shot, but if I don't find them I'll do what I can on my own... It's what we always talked about. Luke, I'm not going to wait for the Empire to draft me into service. The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the right side --  the side I believe in.

And...

QuoteLUKE: Well, I'll be at the Academy next season... after that who knows. I won't be drafted into the Imperial Starfleet that's for sure... Take care of yourself, you'll always be the best friend I've got.

But whatever.  They want it to be Imperial, so I guess it's Imperial.

SM

SM

I always thought it was the Imperial Academy...?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

An EU invention that apparently became canon.  Probably as far back as the WEG RPG or the introduction of Carida in the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

I prefer to think that the Academy predates the Empire by millennia, like some old world university (e.g. Oxford), but has sector-level branches of varying prestige throughout the galaxy so even kids from backwaters like Tatooine can attend.

But that's just me.

SM

SM

I think I must have just reasoned out it was the Imperial Academy based on the context of the conversation from reading the comic and novelisation back in the late 1970s.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That wouldn't surprise me.  I don't recall what the old comics may have said about the Academy, but the novelization says pretty much the same as the script.

Wookieepedia indicates that WEG's Imperial Sourcebook is what turned it into "the Imperial Academy" though.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Academy/Legends#Behind_the_scenes

SM

SM

I read that a lot too so maybe it came from there but I think I already thought of it as Imperial before that.

Not that I've thought it about it in a long time.

A long time.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Do you still have your Imperial Sourcebook today?

I used to annoy the writer of the Dark Empire Sourcebook on a mailing list back in the day with my opinions about his book.  That was long before I aged into the paragon of maturity that you've become accustomed to.

Holy shit, I didn't even know he passed away in 2015.  Now I feel bad.  :-[

SM

SM

Sounds very out of character.

I've got all my old WEG RPG books still. And some of an old mate's who I haven't seen for yonks so I hope he's forgot.

Been mucking around with the idea of getting the Third Born into it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Have you had this talk with the Third Born yet?

Immortan Jonesy

RidleyScott99

RidleyScott99

I love The Prequels but I hate The Last Jedi

SM

SM

After a recent rewatch - TLJ is probably the best of the new flicks.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 01, 2020, 03:17:38 PM
Have you had this talk with the Third Born yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE95i5krvWk

Still working through 'da lamendation of dehr women'.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2020, 12:13:17 AM
After a recent rewatch - TLJ is probably the best of the new flicks.

By far the best of the new trilogy, I would say, and on par with RO for the best of the Disney slate of films overall.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed