Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,848,036 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 18, 2020, 08:37:49 PM
Game changer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp8weYYDE8

I had no idea this was how Mandalorian was made! This is actually incredible!

SiL

SiL

One of the most exciting developments in modern filmmaking. It's been used in a few films like First Man as well.

SM

SM

Astonishingly good quality with that tech.

Prez

Prez

I've usually got a very good eye for spotting anything CGI, Green screen, etc but I must admit the admission about the Mando being all done on a sound stage with those magical back lit screens is just jaw dropping to me.

I genuinely am stunned by how natural it all looks.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It's the next evolution of the green screen for sure. Way too expensive for any sort of practical use on a smaller scale than this right now, but the possibilities that it offers are exponential. Really, this is exactly the kind of tech that Lucas would have needed (plus a streaming service willing to cover the cost) to get his own Star Wars show off the ground in an economically feasible way. I can't wait to see what the is in store with this tech in the future, and how it advances moving forward.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 22, 2020, 09:59:20 AM
One of the most exciting developments in modern filmmaking. It's been used in a few films like First Man as well.

Huh, I didn't know it was used in First Man. I haven't seen that since the theater, and I loved it enough to buy the 4k release, but haven't yet sat down to watch it in a home viewing. I should change that soon.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Or

I wonder if the filming technique is going to be used in the new sequels to James Cameron's Avatar.  :laugh:

SM

SM

QuoteHuh, I didn't know it was used in First Man. I haven't seen that since the theater, and I loved it enough to buy the 4k release, but haven't yet sat down to watch it in a home viewing. I should change that soon.

I found First Man a bit disappointing.  Buzz Aldrin certainly got a raw deal in his portrayal, but having read the book, I think the issue with the film was that what made Neil Armstrong a brilliant astronaut was that he really wasn't terribly interesting as a person.  He was steady and straight down the line.  They really amped up the loss of Karen in the film that wasn't as big of a thing in the biography and it felt a little manufactured.  Ultimately the mission was more interesting than any of the players.

And not having the housefire where Ed White helped rescue the children and captilising on Neil's relationship with Ed was a baffling decision.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

According to Filoni, The Mandalorian didn't emerge thanks to the canceled Boba Fett flick.

Quote from: Dave Filoni via Deadline"The Mandalorian idea really starts with Jon Favreau coming forward saying he'd like to develop a concept and talking with Kathleen Kennedy about it," Filoni said. "She knew I had done a lot of work with Mandalorian people and culture on Clone Wars with George (Lucas) over the years. She always knew that I knew Jon. She called me in when Jon pitched this idea, and he really loved the imagery of a lone gunman and Western. When we were kids, Boba Fett was a 'Man With No Name.' Even his publicity stills were evocative of the [Sergio Leone] Dollar trilogy."

While Lucas had expanded on Boba Fett's backstory in the feature Episodes I-III, "Some of his mystique had been taken away," Filoni said. "Jon's idea was to reimagine that character as a straight-on bounty hunter and take that imagery of the lone gunfighter. The revelation was this idea of this child in a lone wolf cub sensibility."

https://twitter.com/15MinuteNewsEnt/status/1274561863007772673

Quote from: io9You'll have to head on over to IGN to read the full thing, but essentially, Light of the Jedi opens with an unprecedented disaster the Republic suddenly finds its expansion programs dealing with: a passenger/cargo freighter called the Legacy Run, attempting to avoid debris in a hyperspace lane, breaks up while still at lightspeed. Not only is everyone on board—mostly migrants venturing out into the frontier to start new lives—seemingly killed, the broken-up wreckage of the Legacy Run begins to shunt out of lightspeed and into normal space, becoming screaming projectiles of mass destruction that can hit anywhere from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim.

"The destruction of the Legacy Run is the catalyst for a galaxy-wide disaster," Soule told IGN. "In this moment of crisis, the Republic turns to the guardians of peace and justice—the Jedi."

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1275203625237831681

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Denorah Chow via THRYou're now working on the Obi-Wan series for Disney+. How different will that be, directing all the episodes yourself?

CHOW: It's definitely going to be different, just in terms of the sheer workload, obviously, of doing the whole thing. But in some ways, I'm going to miss having a team, and having people who are there to bounce ideas off of. But then obviously the flip side is, it is nice to have a coherent voice and know what you're doing from beginning to end.

https://twitter.com/THRAwards/status/1276501854059290626

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 22, 2020, 02:14:15 PM
Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1U2VsCnLg

That's different in that it's just a projected image. The innovation with what The Mandalorian uses is it's a real-time rendering of a virtual set that reacts to the camera position and orientation, so it always displays an accurate perspective to the camera. To do that with what Oblivion did, you'd need a whole new background image to display every time you changed camera setup -- and you'd need to pre-plan and pre-render all the footage and pray everything was set up properly on the day (which is why they used it for skies -- they're far away so precise perspective is less of a concern).

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 27, 2020, 07:02:46 PM
Quote from: Denorah Chow via THRYou're now working on the Obi-Wan series for Disney+. How different will that be, directing all the episodes yourself?

CHOW: It's definitely going to be different, just in terms of the sheer workload, obviously, of doing the whole thing. But in some ways, I'm going to miss having a team, and having people who are there to bounce ideas off of. But then obviously the flip side is, it is nice to have a coherent voice and know what you're doing from beginning to end.

Very hyped to see what Deborah Chow brings to the table here. If you ask me, she directed the two best Mando episodes, and also directed my absolute favorite scene in Better Call Saul (BCS spoilers in the tag):

Spoiler
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Jun 28, 2020, 01:39:25 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 22, 2020, 02:14:15 PM
Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1U2VsCnLg

That's different in that it's just a projected image. The innovation with what The Mandalorian uses is it's a real-time rendering of a virtual set that reacts to the camera position and orientation, so it always displays an accurate perspective to the camera. To do that with what Oblivion did, you'd need a whole new background image to display every time you changed camera setup -- and you'd need to pre-plan and pre-render all the footage and pray everything was set up properly on the day (which is why they used it for skies -- they're far away so precise perspective is less of a concern).

Way more immersive. Thanks for clarifying. Now I know more about it, I would be very happy to watch this precursor with the new technique.  :)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 28, 2020, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 27, 2020, 07:02:46 PM

Very hyped to see what Deborah Chow brings to the table here. If you ask me, she directed the two best Mando episodes, and also directed my absolute favorite scene in Better Call Saul (BCS spoilers in the tag):

Spoiler
[close]

I must admit I've never seen Better Call Saul. But I loved The Sin & The Reckoning.

TC

TC

One artistic limitation of the LED backgrounds seems to be that they can't simulate hard, direct light like a focused key light or the sun. For example, in these Sergio Leone scenes:

Instead, they are limited to softly lit scenes in which the screens create only ambient light,  like what you get with overcast skies and "magic hour". See how in this typical scene the lighting design requires the soft light look:

Here you can seen hard sunlight on the rocky background, but Mando himself is in the foreground and lit with the ambient "cave" light.

Presumably, they can augment the LED IBL with a standard floor lamp to (for example) add the punch of a hard key, but in watching the show they seemed to shy away from that. Not sure why.

TC

RidleyScott99

RidleyScott99

I never understand All this love for Boba Fett. He is a loser and he got killed pretty easily. Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood were serial Winners

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mark Hamill via io9 via Pizza Film School"There a couple of things that are good for the character—number one, he is ridiculed roundly by his peers. So he's not particularly cool or popular," Hamill joked. "And then I bump into Biggs Darklighter, played by Garrick Hagon, and I go 'Wow!' You can see we're good friends. He's dressed in an Imperial uniform and I'm going, 'Wow! That's so great! I can't wait until I can get off the dump of a planet and join with you.'

"The only reason that is interesting to me is that Luke has no political persuasion," Hamill continued. "He thinks it's great he is in the Empire! Luke wants to be in the Empire if it will get him off the farm! So he is completely pure in that he is not politically motivated in any way, shape, or form."

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1278103525298487299

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed