Could hardly see a thing
95 (50%)
Was pretty dark, but I could still see
61 (32.1%)
Don't see what the fuss is about
34 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author
The Darkness Problem (Read 92,362 times)

SiL

SiL

There's a difference between darkly lit, and just turning down the brightness level on the film in the editing.

The Alien films are the former, AvPR is the latter.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

QuoteWhat? Why should I? I have never in my life had to mess with my setup just to watch a film! It's ridiculous, you shouldn't have to fiddle about with brightness and contrast.

Oh for God's sake, it's pushing a couple of buttons a few times.  It took me five seconds.  It's not that big of a deal.  If you want to see the film, that's all it takes.  If you'd rather not watch it, or stare at blackness for an hour and a half, just because you feel adjusting your TV settings is so beneath you, then you have fun.

By the way, the Eraserhead DVD and MANY dark video games feature screen adjustment screens at the beginning, so you can adjust your settings and ensure that you view the film/game the way it's meant to be seen.  You don't see tons of people bitching on Eraserhead forums.

SM

SM

That's because they wish Eraserhead was darker and thus spare them the ordeal of sitting through it.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 09, 2009, 09:10:01 AM
QuoteWhat? Why should I? I have never in my life had to mess with my setup just to watch a film! It's ridiculous, you shouldn't have to fiddle about with brightness and contrast.

Oh for God's sake, it's pushing a couple of buttons a few times.  It took me five seconds.  It's not that big of a deal.  If you want to see the film, that's all it takes.  If you'd rather not watch it, or stare at blackness for an hour and a half, just because you feel adjusting your TV settings is so beneath you, then you have fun.

By the way, the Eraserhead DVD and MANY dark video games feature screen adjustment screens at the beginning, so you can adjust your settings and ensure that you view the film/game the way it's meant to be seen.  You don't see tons of people bitching on Eraserhead forums.

But you're changing the games settings, not your TV's settings...

Übermensch

Übermensch

Quote from: SM on Jun 09, 2009, 10:21:12 AM
That's because they wish Eraserhead was darker and thus spare them the ordeal of sitting through it.

f**k you, Eraserhead is awesome.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

it looks fine on my TV if I brighten it up a little bit.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

You shouldn't have to adjust the brightness.

SM

SM

Quotef**k you, Eraserhead is awesome.

Awesome as a non-chemical form of curing insomnia.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

No, you shouldn't HAVE to adjust the brightness.  But I'd much rather go through the very small amount of trouble so I can actually watch the film, rather than avoiding the film or spending the entire run time not being able to see anything.

Yes, with most dark games, you're changing the game settings, but I hardly see a difference.  It's sacrificing a few seconds to prepare your system before enjoying the piece of media.

Besides, it's not like you have to crank the settings up so high that any other film would look awful if you didn't change your settings back.  I had the tweak the settings ever so slightly and other media looked fine with the new settings.

And for the record, I personally love Eraserhead.
Considering it's score of 90% on rottentomatoes and 7.4 on IMDb, David Lynch wins.

SM

SM

Quoterather than avoiding the film or spending the entire run time not being able to see anything.

Go with the former. 

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: DoomsdayApocalypse on Jun 09, 2009, 10:37:21 AM
f**k you, Eraserhead is awesome.

How about "I disagree, Eraserhead is awesome"? Yeah, let's stick with that, shall we.

SM

SM

'Disagree' has too many letters and syllables.

Übermensch

Übermensch

ZING!!!!

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Sodomy.

SM

SM

Slightly less letters, but still the same amount of syllables.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed