Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 30,989 times)

Local Trouble

Conversely, imagine if Michael Bishop had sweetened the pot with "Ripley, we found the girl.  She's alive and well on our ship."

The Old One

The Old One

Eh, all that does for me is lessen the impact (literally too) at the beginning and make it so Newt can potentially reappear later down the line, not for me, no thank you.

Local Trouble

"You insist on death." -Balthazar in Ben-Hur

Rankles75

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2019, 03:55:34 PM
Hell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

Yup, would have been better than the franchise killing dick move they pulled. Ah well, at least we've got Gibson's script in comic form now, and hopefully one or two of the others get adapted in the future. Not the same as a movie, but at least there's an alternative out there. Have to say, Clemens' death did nothing for me. A case of good actor, bad character imo.

Voodoo Magic

Hell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 04:12:00 PM
Their deaths had a point, the point is the universe's a bitch.

I think Ripley crashing on planet, without knowing if Hicks or Newt were safe, surrounded by rapists and murderers with an infestation of head lice, with a burster inside of her and her death imminent, is enough to get the point across that the universe is a bitch.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Sometimes... Dead is better.

The lower the fall, the higher the rise.

Kradan

I like that. Mystery about their fates probably better then just death right in the beginning.

Local Trouble

It would even work with two-thirds of Mark Verheiden's story.

Valaquen

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 12, 2019, 07:01:07 PM

I like that. Mystery about their fates probably better then just death right in the beginning.

It would've given something Ripley to actually sacrifice at the end. An actual chance at happiness. Ripley runs out of reasons to live ten minutes into the film and no one in the audience buys Bishop II's bull at the end. He's got nothing to offer.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 04:12:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnLlwm3BZw

Their deaths had a point, the point is the universe's a bitch.

The film ends with Ripley saving the universe from the Alien once and for all (at least that's what Giler and Hill intended, until Fox pushed for Alien Resurrection.)

Rankles75

Never really bought the whole "Ripley sacrificing herself to save the universe"'angle tbh. Don't think it was ever established that LV426 was the Alien's home planet, or the only one they existed on. Obviously, that has the potential to become a plot hole depending on how the Prometheus/Covenant arc ends up (if it ever gets an ending).

Valaquen

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 12, 2019, 07:27:58 PM
Never really bought the whole "Ripley sacrificing herself to save the universe"'angle tbh. Don't think it was ever established that LV426 was the Alien's home planet, or the only one they existed on. Obviously, that has the potential to become a plot hole depending on how the Prometheus/Covenant arc ends up (if it ever gets an ending).

You can argue in-universe and that's fine (especially given that we've had loads of sequels and spin-offs since 1992 across all sorts of media) but the writers fully intended for Alien 3 to be the end. The continued survival of the species post-Alien 3 was later decided by dollar-eating executives.

D88M

Nah, i did not cared at all for those two characters. I have even read people calling their deaths "plot holes" lol what.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:21:28 PMIt would've given something Ripley to actually sacrifice at the end.

It would have also given her someone more personal to save with her sacrifice.  Screw humanity, she did it for Newt.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2019, 08:21:21 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:21:28 PMIt would've given something Ripley to actually sacrifice at the end.

It would have also given her someone more personal to save with her sacrifice.  Screw humanity, she did it for Newt.

Local Trouble

Especially if Hicks survived, she knew she could trust him to look after Newt.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed