Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 30,985 times)

Kradan

Still, there're a lot of people seems to dislike/even hate Alien 3 (i'm not). And one of the main complains is that two main characters are killed right in the beginning.

So, imagine this: still prison planet, still bunch of bald rapers, still one alien and still ripley impregnated with queen BUT Newt and Hicks survived! How would you feel about this? Would you be happier with third movie?

Personally, i think there's posibillity for some interesting charcater dynamic. Prisoners still wanna to rape Ripley but here is Hicks to protect her. And here is still Clemens. It would be interesting to see relations between such interesting characters. Ripley must save Newt once again. And i think that final sacrifice scene could be even more powerfull because Ripley would be obligated to leave two only dear people for her. I almost can see Newt crying in that moment.

Give your voice!

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps Newt leaving, the lone survivor would've been more appropriate than Morse but no I think overall the film would've suffered for it. And I'd fear for them instead of leaving Newt alone, afterwards she would go on to fight the Alien as Ripley did- and that's lame.

SM

It's not really as simple as having them live would improve them film.  Having them live would necessitate a completely different film.  Hicks would be an unnecessary buffer messing up the dynamic with Clemens, Andrews, Dillon and Aaron - assuming he was in any shape to protect anyone.

Elmazalman

Their deaths never bothered me.

Rankles75

Yes to them surviving, but a hard no on the rest of the film staying the same.

Voodoo Magic

Their deaths never bothered me, but just felt handled poorly, to get from points B to C.

TheSailingRabbit

If the characters are going to die, I think it should have been handled better. Personally, I don't think Newt should have died, but I don't think she should carry on the torch of battling Aliens. It's already scary enough that she witnessed the gruesome deaths of her parents, sibling, and several of the Marines who'd saved her at such a young age. Going home and dealing with serious PTSD is not a happy ending.

The same can be said for Hicks. I wouldn't mind seeing more of his character and how he struggles to deal with the loss of his unit, of people he got close to since enlistment. Does he even want to continue serving after that? Would his mental health even permit that? Those are the stories I would've liked to see instead.

Valaquen

I'd prefer the script was good, first of all. Alien 3's really wasn't. It was a hodge podge of other peoples' ideas distilled by two guys who were already really irate at having to write the damned film in the first place. That was the real death knell. Killing off two characters in the intro à la Friday the 13th was just icing in comparison. The rest of the movie is only barely strung together by its atmosphere and the goodwill of (some) of the fandom.

Kradan

6 yes to 8 no, almost equal. Interesting. Let's see how it goes further.

SM

QuoteThe rest of the movie is only barely strung together by its atmosphere and the goodwill of (some) of the fandom.

Perfick.

Rankles75

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 10, 2019, 04:30:14 PM
I'd prefer the script was good, first of all. Alien 3's really wasn't. It was a hodge podge of other peoples' ideas distilled by two guys who were already really irate at having to write the damned film in the first place. That was the real death knell. Killing off two characters in the intro à la Friday the 13th was just icing in comparison. The rest of the movie is only barely strung together by its atmosphere and the goodwill of (some) of the fandom.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 10, 2019, 04:30:14 PM

The Old One

The Old One

The last three (4 ?) comments are more depressing than Alien³ JC...

Local Trouble

I can only assume that your reverence for Alien 3 is a generational thing.

Oasis Nadrama

I love Fincher's Alien 3, I love Newt and Hicks, but I wouldn't love Newt and Hicks in Fincher's Alien 3.

These characters were killed off because they would have parasited and obstructed the dynamics of the narrative, and in turn the final movie was developed around this decision - to keep this character would mean to redo the entire structure and atmosphere. It could keep the same environment but the social interactions would be way more lowkey, and also symbolically a single Alien wouldn't work if Ripley kept her little family around her. It would feel like she's "protected".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed