ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,058 times)

windebieste

A lot of 'interesting' things happen in Russia. 

-Windebieste. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 18, 2016, 03:36:41 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 17, 2016, 08:43:43 PM
Ah, I get it.  It's not that you can't suspend disbelief and accept it, it's that it hasn't been lampshaded to your satisfaction.  So if the WYR had made a passing reference to the oddity of LV-426's gravity for its size and then redacted a portion of the following text, would that have been enough for you?

To be honest, yes. Granted it wouldn't have jived well with other sources (or the movies), which don't lampshade the size in any way, but it would have been a hell of a start.

Fair enough.  For record though, I have no attachment to the deleted scenes from the director's cut of Alien.  In fact, I've said before that the eggmorphing scene shouldn't even exist in canon.

Quote from: SM on Sep 18, 2016, 09:25:20 AM
Interesting that Boxtree/ Harper Prism are giving away e-books on Russian social media...

The pesky UPP has obtained classified information about the USCM!

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2016, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 18, 2016, 03:36:41 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 17, 2016, 08:43:43 PM
Ah, I get it.  It's not that you can't suspend disbelief and accept it, it's that it hasn't been lampshaded to your satisfaction.  So if the WYR had made a passing reference to the oddity of LV-426's gravity for its size and then redacted a portion of the following text, would that have been enough for you?

To be honest, yes. Granted it wouldn't have jived well with other sources (or the movies), which don't lampshade the size in any way, but it would have been a hell of a start.

Fair enough.  For record though, I have no attachment to the deleted scenes from the director's cut of Alien.  In fact, I've said before that the eggmorphing scene shouldn't even exist in canon.
In that case, why the attachment to Lambert's line about LV-426's size, then?

QuoteThe pesky UPP has obtained classified information about the USCM!
Well played :D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 18, 2016, 04:42:27 PMIn that case, why the attachment to Lambert's line about LV-426's size, then?

I don't recall ever saying I had one.  Fox is obviously attached to it, though.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2016, 05:08:43 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 18, 2016, 04:42:27 PMIn that case, why the attachment to Lambert's line about LV-426's size, then?

I don't recall ever saying I had one.
Why do you defend it, in that case?

QuoteFox is obviously attached to it, though.
That, or they didn't catch the mistake. The CMTM is still in print and commonly referenced, after all.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 18, 2016, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2016, 05:08:43 PM

I don't recall ever saying I had one.

Why do you defend it, in that case?

Because...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 15, 2016, 06:54:19 PMI'm still fighting the good fight in the name of SM and the WYR.

Xenomrph

But why? Devil's advocate? (there's nothing wrong with this - or any reason, really, by all means believe whatever you want - I'm just more of curious. Knowing WHY someone believes something is often more interesting than WHAT they believe)

Local Trouble

Why does Solaris do what it does?

Xenomrph

Not really seeing what that has to do with the question.

Local Trouble

"Because SM says so" isn't good enough?

Xenomrph

I was expecting more, but if that's all there is to it, then I guess that's all there is to it. :)

Local Trouble

If you need a better reason, I guess you could say that I tend to err on the side of the source material unless it is directly contradicted by one of the later films.  Had Aliens specified a different size for LV-426, I would have accepted that as canon over the deleted scene from Alien.

Xenomrph

What about Lambert's number being contradicted by the films itself, independent of the CMTM?

Hypothetically, if Bishop or Gorman had offhandedly said the Sulaco was a certain length, but then that length is demonstrably false based on what we see in the movies, would you have discarded their number or stuck with it?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Hard to say.  My brain might react just like a computer does to Captain Kirk.

Now that I think about it, could "Thetis" have been another deliberate attempt to correct the source material as well?  After all, Thetis is a character from Greek mythology and would be a much more fitting name for a celestial body than Thedus (which, to my knowledge, is completely original).

In other words, LBW may have been well aware of Thedus and simply decided to retcon that too.

Darth Rinzler

I would like to point out theirs a serous flaw in the Colonial Marine Tech book.  In regards to troop transport, the railguns are obsoletly useless.  It has to be a miss print.  Calculating the actual force of impact, it does less than alot of 9mm that exist now, it could never damage a modern battle tank, nor any that existed at the time when the book was made, and going by the ships description of its armor, that its resistant to micrometors, micrometors, by calculations of the f.o.i., will project more energy than the railguns, and if its immune to those, or nearly, none of he diffrent railguns shell types would ever harm a marine ship, unless you shot it through a window, but considering the apc uses armored quartz as its window, i wouldn't count its windows as being week even if they ste a weak point.

Also if you look at the barrel width, the shells should be dramatically heavier, bigger, and cause greater damage on f.o.i. .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed