ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,099 times)

SM

The origins of their respective corporations don't fit.  Charles' company was founded in the early 1980s.  Peter's in 2012.

marrerom

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 01:37:21 AM
The origins of their respective corporations don't fit.  Charles' company was founded in the early 1980s.  Peter's in 2012.

Couldn't that be explained away through corporate re-branding? Like how the private security firm "Black Water" went through a corporate makeover and now calls itself "Academi". All in a effort to distance itself from the bad press it garnered during the Iraq war.

I see Peter Weyland doing something similar in order to distance himself from his father's legacy.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 27, 2016, 01:48:01 AM

Couldn't that be explained away through corporate re-branding? Like how the private security firm "Black Water" went through a corporate makeover and now calls itself "Academi". All in a effort to distance itself from the bad press it garnered during the Iraq war.

I see Peter Weyland doing something similar in order to distance himself from his father's legacy.

Indeed.  You could even start a separate corporation in a different region.  I started a company in 2012, and then my company under a similar name was started in 2014 in a different country.  It is possible.

SM

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 27, 2016, 01:48:01 AM

Peter Weyland called his company 'Weyland' in order to distance himself from his father's company - also called 'Weyland'?

marrerom

marrerom

Weyland corp. vs Weyland industries. Just a subtle difference to denote the change in direction he would be bringing to it and to distinguish himself from his father. It makes sense, yes?

SM

I don't think it would fly with the fictional public.  Or the real one.  If Nike Inc. changed their name to Nike Corp. - everyone is just going to see 'Nike'.

The Peter Weyland version freely uses 'Corp', 'MegaCorp' and 'Industries' interchangeably anyway.

And while not wishing to shut down speculation and ideas, as things currently stand there's no link between Peter and Charles.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 02:26:24 AM
I don't think it would fly with the fictional public.  Or the real one.  If Nike Inc. changed their name to Nike Corp. - everyone is just going to see 'Nike'.

The Peter Weyland version freely uses 'Corp', 'MegaCorp' and 'Industries' interchangeably anyway.

This is such a minor issue though... Surely this isn't the reason why AvP wasn't included in the WYR.  There are any number of plausible explanations to account for a corporation to have two separate start dates.

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 02:26:24 AM
And while not wishing to shut down speculation and ideas, as things currently stand there's no link between Peter and Charles.

I would argue that them having the same last name and being involved in the same company are links.

*edit*

Anyway, going back to what you said earlier about the possibility of a O.W.L.F. files type follow up. Would some kind of kick starter like a "go fund me" help in anyway? Lots of projects have gotten off the ground that way and I would definitely love to see a Predator centric book in the style of WYR get made.

SM

QuoteThis is such a minor issue though... Surely this isn't the reason why AvP wasn't included in the WYR. 

I don't know why for certain why it wasn't included.  That decision was made well before I got involved.

QuoteI would argue that them having the same last name and being involved in the same company are links.

If you believe it is the same company, then yes that would count as a link.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 02:38:58 AM
QuoteThis is such a minor issue though... Surely this isn't the reason why AvP wasn't included in the WYR. 

I don't know why for certain why it wasn't included.  That decision was made well before I got involved.
As I mentioned, it could very well be a licensing/branding thing (similar to the reason that the USCM Tech Manual *technically* only directly references the second movie). It's not the first time it's happened with Aliens/Predator/AvP stuff.
That, and why would they want to distract readers with talk of another crazy extraterrestrial species when the book is meant to focus on the Alien?

I'm not saying a Predator cameo wouldn't have been appreciated, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 02:05:08 AMPeter Weyland called his company 'Weyland' in order to distance himself from his father's company - also called 'Weyland'?

This. The "re-branded" idea is dumb because the change would be so utterly pointless in a real-world context.

More to the point, changing your company's name doesn't suddenly give you a new founding date. Apple was still officially founded in 1976, even if it's name was originally Apple Computers. No one's going to claim it was founded in 2007 because that's when they slightly tweaked the name.

Corporal Hicks

^^ And to re-iterate the point again. It would be an inanely pointless move from a PR standpoint. It's just stretching to reconcile the differences.

SM

QuoteAnyway, going back to what you said earlier about the possibility of a O.W.L.F. files type follow up. Would some kind of kick starter like a "go fund me" help in anyway? Lots of projects have gotten off the ground that way and I would definitely love to see a Predator centric book in the style of WYR get made.

No.  If one of the wealthiest organisations in the world thinks there is money to be made with such a book - they would fund it themselves.

If such a book were to happen, it would likely be on the back of the new film.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2016, 09:25:08 AM
That gives me not-unrealistic hope that something could happen. Maybe I'll start spamming FOX's twitter accounts...

marrerom

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 07:43:00 AM
The "re-branded" idea is dumb because the change would be so utterly pointless in a real-world context.

More to the point, changing your company's name doesn't suddenly give you a new founding date. Apple was still officially founded in 1976, even if it's name was originally Apple Computers. No one's going to claim it was founded in 2007 because that's when they slightly tweaked the name.

Perhaps the company was dissolved following the events in AvP and then re-established by by Peter Weyland in 2012.  There are any number of ways that this issue could be addressed. Whatever reason AvP was excluded for its safe to say that conflicting dates wasn't it.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2016, 03:17:26 PM
That gives me not-unrealistic hope that something could happen. Maybe I'll start spamming FOX's twitter accounts...

You and me both. I am beyond impressed with the level of detail in this book and would love for a Predator equivalent.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 27, 2016, 06:32:04 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 07:43:00 AM
The "re-branded" idea is dumb because the change would be so utterly pointless in a real-world context.

Perhaps the company was dissolved following the events in AvP and then re-established by by Peter Weyland in 2012.  There are any number of ways that this issue could be addressed. Whatever reason AvP was excluded for its safe to say that conflicting dates wasn't it.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2016, 03:17:26 PM

You and me both. I am beyond impressed with the level of detail in this book and would love for a Predator equivalent.

I'm not a big predator fan, but yes it would be cool to see pages and pages of different armors and different types of Predators and all that jazz.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed