Prometheus 2 set for March 4th 2016

Started by Gazz, Mar 24, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Author
Prometheus 2 set for March 4th 2016 (Read 111,906 times)

Ultramorph

Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 25, 2014, 02:49:36 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 25, 2014, 02:30:28 AM
I'm not denying the possibility. We even see two Davids in one of the viral promotions for the first movie. That isn't my complaint. My complaint is that I see it as gratuitous and potentially very silly to have two or more Davids in the movie. It's just Fassbender awkwardly talking to himself at that point. It also seems desperate, in that most reviews praised Fassbender's performance, so the studio says " Let's have two Fassbender's in the next movie!!!!"

It's like having two Ripleys.

Ripley wasnt a robot.

For the love of God I get that.

I'm just saying that I don't much like the idea of more than one of any character walking around, android or not.

First Blood

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 25, 2014, 12:00:36 AM
I'll remain cautiously optimistic, albeit with lowered expectations this time around.

Pretty much. As far as the writer, gawd why.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 25, 2014, 02:51:20 AM
I'm just saying that I don't much like the idea of more than one of any character walking around, android or not.

Been done well tons of times in film and tv. :P Orphan Black, Battlestar Galactica, Dead Ringers.... so i dont get the preemptive hate of the idea.  :P

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 25, 2014, 02:41:52 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 25, 2014, 02:33:49 AM
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/promotheus-sequel-moving-forward-with-blade-runner-writer-1201145249/

Good thing I deleted TheWrap link from my Tumblr.

Well The Wrap did state that multiple sources confirmed that the March 2016 movie was Prometheus 2.
Then they went on to say an insider said it would start production in Autumn.

So it is possible that these people are right on the money but Fox just won't confirm anything yet for sure.
Or they are possibly leaving open the opportunity for Ridley to direct something else for the March 2016 release.
I hope it is Prometheus 2 anyway.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 25, 2014, 02:53:28 AM

Been done well tons of times in film and tv. :P Orphan Black, Battlestar Galactica, Dead Ringers.... so i dont get the preemptive hate of the idea.  :P

It being done before makes no difference. I've always disliked it as a plot point. Ripley 8 meeting Ripley 7 was pushing it for me. Bishop and the Weyland droid in Colonial Marines was silly. Kirk and evil Kirk was a fairly bad episode of Star Trek. I'm allowed to not like a plot idea in general.

CainsSon

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 25, 2014, 02:57:47 AM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 25, 2014, 02:53:28 AM

It being done before makes no difference. I've always disliked it as a plot point. Ripley 8 meeting Ripley 7 was pushing it for me. Bishop and the Weyland droid in Colonial Marines was silly. Kirk and evil Kirk was a fairly bad episode of Star Trek. I'm allowed to not like a plot idea in general.

It seems probable to me that if there are multiple David androids it will either involve the Engineers remixing David and/or a rescue team using a David as consultant of sorts. Otherwise, it could be about humans trying to perfect the David android after malfunctions. I like that idea.
Anyway, I think saying Davids will be walking around talking to each other might be reading too much into it at this point.

SM

SM

QuoteMy complaint is that I see it as gratuitous and potentially very silly to have two or more Davids in the movie.

How is it gratuitous or silly if it serves the story?

Ripley 7 and Ripley 8 wasn't silly.  That scene is cited by many - even detractors - as one of the film's best.  Neither was Bishop and Bishop II silly.

Chris!(($$))!

WHY must they keep bringing writing "lowballers" into the mix... These people are mostly writing for shows and that doesn't work for movies. One of the main reasons Prometheus was so f**ked was because Lindelof wrote it as if it was an episode. Now this next guy will probably make the same mistake... Shit at this point it would probably be better to just have Lindelof come back and finish what he started.

DoomRulz

Quote from: GQSioux on Mar 24, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
The writer of the disastrous Green Lantern? We're in trouble.

http://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-2-lands-green-lantern-writer-may-feature-multiple-michael-fassbenders-exclusive/

Yeah, I was just thinking that. There's no reason for me to think this will be good.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

If it serves the story I'll retract the criticism. If it were to involve the Engineers experimenting on David, I could go for it a bit, but I don't much like the idea of a rescue mission with two or more Davids scheming, etc. Why not have multiple types of androids? I just happen to read it cynically at this point. "People liked Fassbender, let's have two of him!"

Ripley 8 and 7 was a good scene, but that's just it: it was one emotionally involved scene that added to the plot. That was also 17 years ago and I have no faith in the studios to not just Fassbender wank the whole movie. I can somewhat say "I'll have to wait and see," but it's not an aspect that has me very excited.

But since we seem to just fundamentally disagree, I've said all I have to say on the issue.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

GL sucked since the producers of the film step in and ask re-writes of the script. The movie was nowhere as good as the original script.

Federick Gonsa

YES!! I thought it would never be made.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy not have multiple types of androids?

Because David is the only type as far as we know at that point.

And if Fassbender is a major strength - and he is - what's wrong exploiting your strengths?

Vepariga

lol Green Lantern writer...shit.  :laugh:

Ultramorph

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2014, 05:33:14 AM
QuoteWhy not have multiple types of androids?

Because David is the only type as far as we know at that point.

And if Fassbender is a major strength - and he is - what's wrong exploiting your strengths?

The sequel can be set any number of years after the first movie. There's no reason e couldn't see other prototype androids; Alien was only about 30 years later, and you had Ash, so clearly the technology advanced pretty quickly.

As far as exploiting strengths, I agree that Fassbender was a huge strength. I really enjoyed his character and performance. That being said, why not just have the one character and grow and develope him? I just don't see any way having multiple Davids is going to serve the story. It sounds far too close to what we saw with Tom Cruise in Oblivion for my tastes. That's my opinion, and I've stated why I have it. Feel free to keep disagreeing. We'll see when the movie comes out.

And again, this whole thing could just be BS like usually floats around two years before a movie comes out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed