The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,090 times)

The Old One

The Old One

No. You don't have one, in my opinion. I apologize SM, for my gut reaction.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Well thanks... i guess?  :D

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 19, 2019, 06:02:20 AM

No one seems to have an example, surely there's a fictional character who snapped and the author handled the transition better.

I may have a non-fictional one though. Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Now this not supposed to be some Anti-Amercian shit and i don't nearly know enough on the whole historical subject to actually comment on it in a meaningful way but my current knowledge would locate around the area: not that necessary at least from a pure military viewpoint.

edit: Obviously we wouldn't be talking about a Snap situation any longer, but a super hard but somehow rationally justified operation as in: Message for the potential next insurgence.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: The Old One on May 19, 2019, 09:29:25 PM
I apologize SM, for my gut reaction.

In all fairness to you, you were responding to an antagonistic remark. A person mocking something you feel is important would naturally come across as abrasive.

Quote from: kwisatz on May 19, 2019, 10:00:51 PM

At minimum, it would require a fictional character since the core of the comparison purpose is centered on the writer. It really doesn't matter now, in a few hours the uproar over episode 5 will be over and a good chance the final episode will give the angry fans a whole new sortie of ammo to fling their poo all over the world wide web.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 19, 2019, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 19, 2019, 09:05:21 PM
It's getting hostile in here.

It's almost turning into the Star Wars thread.

Star Wars Thread: I've got the power to turn this place into the Mos Eisley Cantina 😈

Game of Thrones Thread: Hold my beer 😈

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 19, 2019, 10:09:04 PM

Quote from: kwisatz on May 19, 2019, 10:00:51 PM

At minimum, it would require a fictional character since the core of the comparison purpose is centered on the writer. It really doesn't matter now, in a few hours the uproar over episode 5 will be over and a good chance the final episode will give the angry fans a whole new sortie of ammo to fling their poo all over the world wide web.

Well, the "character" would be the decision maker(s) of the action at issue, hence my preventive assertion I'm in no way interested in any question of guilt through the back door.

If the Daenerys character keeps up with a non-fictional "character", that would be the (almost automatic) confirmation of comprehensible fictional writing for me.

I'm lately just of the impression the writers might be quite heavily influenced by this historic event.

Quote"Dragons are the nuclear deterrent, and only [Daenerys Targaryen, one of the series' heroines] has them, which in some ways makes her the most powerful person in the world," Martin said in 2011.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 19, 2019, 10:11:07 PM
Star Wars Thread: I've got the power to turn this place into the Mos Eisley Cantina 😈

Game of Throne Thread: Hold my beer 😈

LOL! That deserves a meme visual....

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on May 19, 2019, 05:47:08 PM
Or how about the horrific blatant misogyny in the writing?

Does that include the treatment of the Stark ladies?

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: The Old One on May 19, 2019, 05:47:08 PM
It literally has nothing to do with Mad Queen Danny at this point, well- not nothing but the entire Season has godawful writing that's impossible to ignore.

And a million and a half signatures with at least a quarter of donarions of that money going to SameYou Charity is nothing to scoff at.

Jaime Lannister's character arc disappeared, I guess he kinda forgot that he stabbed Mad King Aerys in the back to save the people of King's Landing. Now, all of a sudden the Kingslayer never really cared about the people? Garbage, absolute garbage.

And Euron Greyjoy f**king teleports to kill him, and switches between the greatest shot ever and totally ineffectual at the show's whim.

Tyrion Lannister's contribution is about equivalent to "Smash the Beetles" at this point. And Jon has about two lines he repeats on loop at this point too, how about those honourable Stark men becoming rapists and murders in the blink of an eye huh?

Or how about the horrific blatant misogyny in the writing? The only reason I'm angry is because I care, and it was good- once.

Well the vast majority of fans have been most upset with Daenerys' heel turn and Arya killing the Knight King.

Maisey Williams talked about how at first she thought her character shouldn't be the one to do it but later realized, while filming, that she should be the one who kills the Knight King. Following that episode she made a social media post which seemed to be in response to the fans reactions.

Her quote reads

"how Im feeling after that episode. not today bby"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw2gTH1AiDA/?igshid=181qk05ahu7s7

Was it a shocker that she killed the Knight King? Absolutely, but I thought it was brilliantly played. There were hints in previous episodes to it potentially being someone else plus she was the only character, a trained assassin, who was stealthy enough to do it. Jon had his chance to fight him one-on-one and failed.

As for Emilia Clark, I interpret her reactions being more nervous to actually becoming the main villain to the series. She's a completely sweet person in real life, I don't think she's ever played a truly bad person in any of the films she's been in so it was all something new and trying for her. Not to mention some (foolish) viewers associate the characters with the actual actors who play them and form negative views on said actors. She has yet to come out and say that it was wrong for them to turn Daenerys into the Mad Queen. She just shows complete discomfort because she knows that so many fans believed her character would be the one on the throne and everyone would live happily ever after.

As for the petitions, that's awesome that the proceeds are going to various charities but the initial reason for them is what I find silly and pretentious. A million signatures, while impressive, is nothing compared to the actual amount of people who watch the show-  which the point of these petitions, I guess, is to show how unhappy some fans are with the outcome... 

My main point is that this season isn't nearly as bad as a lot of fans are making it out to be. Jamie going back for Cercei was a bit of a shocker though and slightly disappointing for me as well. I still have mixed feelings on it but can see the argument on both sides seeing as Jamie has always been an anti hero. He made a promise to fight with the north and he kept it. He's also made many promises to Cercei.

Euron comes floundering out of the ocean towards the landing and meets him- I wouldn't call that teleporting but the fight between them was a bit anticlimactic. I was honestly hoping for a moment where Euron questions Cercei about the baby after Tyerion's comments. Lena Headey deserved more screen time and that could have been one of the scenes that they included with her character.

Stark's men were in the heat of battle and some were following Dany's men in wrecking havoc. It's war.  ???

I'm curious to know what you mean about the blatant misogyny in writing? If you're referring to Varys' comments about how Jon deserves the Iron Throne because he's male... well that's really more to do with the reality of the times they're living in rather than the writing. It's an example of how society is also holding Daenerys back from properly ruling without resentment. Perhaps that's another reason why she set the entire city ablaze- to start anew.

Honestly this show has done more for actresses and women in general. There have been countless strong female characters portrayed throughout this show. Not to mention Arya being the one to kill the friggin Knight King (which I also appreciate that they don't rub it in that a girl killed him- they just let it happen and let her be that badass character that she is).

Shasvre

Shasvre

Whatever happens tonight, always remember who the true king is.

Local Trouble

His bastard son?

KiramidHead

Biomechanoid

Arya swooping down on the Night King.......

.....reminded me of Scar swooping down on the xeno queen in AVP.......

kwisatz

kwisatz

Biomechanoid

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed