The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,311 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Aeus on Jun 13, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
or falls in love with the Khaleesi

Too blonde, or not blonde enough? That is the question.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Jun 13, 2011, 10:53:21 PM
Tyrion is the man, but Daenerys is definitely my favorite character now...

Spoiler
...that Ned is dead.
[close]

Spoiler
What did you think of Ser Jorah's moment? It was cool but a bit underwhelming.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 13, 2011, 10:55:33 PM
Spoiler
What did you think of Ser Jorah's moment? It was cool but a bit underwhelming.
[close]

Spoiler
It was pretty much what I expected after reading that scene in the book. He didn't come across as an unbeatable fighter there either. Hopefully he'll get more moments where he can shine in next season. :)
[close]

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 13, 2011, 10:47:42 PM
Get ready to have yer mind blown....

also...

Tyrion > Baltar (in the scale of pimp awesomeness)

Controversial? yes.

True? yes.
But Baltar isn't 'awesome' at all.  :laugh:

He's a lovable, handsome wimp who just... happens to have a fine taste in women. And the ability to get them with the effort of a eye bat.  :laugh:

Can't wait for some Tyrion though.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

I must say despite me having read the first book, I'm always biting my nails every time. I haven't seen one bad episode in the season and it keeps getting better.

Ah my favourite is Jon Snow, followed by the bad ass Ser Jorah:

Spoiler
That fight scene with the horse lord anyone? Come on that was epic and would have been totally worthy of a big screen fight
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 13, 2011, 10:59:03 PM

But Baltar isn't 'awesome' at all.  :laugh:

He's a lovable, handsome wimp who just... happens to have a fine taste in women. And the ability to get them with the effort of a eye bat.  :laugh:

Can't wait for some Tyrion though.

Sounds a lot like Tyrion!  :laugh:

Shasvre

Shasvre

Regarding Ser Jorah, I don't think I would like him half as much if it wasn't for Ian Glen's amazing portrayal of him. I mean, he's still a great character, but Glen is pretty much the very image of calm self-confidence. One of the best casting choices in the show so far in my opinion.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 13, 2011, 11:00:12 PM
I must say despite me having read the first book, I'm always biting my nails every time. I haven't seen one bad episode in the season and it keeps getting better.

Ah my favourite is Jon Snow, followed by the bad ass Ser Jorah:

Spoiler
That fight scene with the horse lord anyone? Come on that was epic and would have been totally worthy of a big screen fight
[close]

Spoiler
second that john snow's got the orphan hero archetype written all over him (even though his not necessarily an  orphan) id have to say John and Samwell Tarly are my favorites
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Jun 13, 2011, 11:04:16 PM
Regarding Ser Jorah, I don't think I would like him half as much if it wasn't for Ian Glen's amazing portrayal of him. I mean, he's still a great character, but Glen is pretty much the very image of calm self-confidence. One of the best casting choices in the show so far in my opinion.

I agree. And Ian Glen's voice is as smooth as ice.

Spoiler
Now that Ned is gone, Jorah and Dany are my two favorite characters followed by Tyrion and Bronn.  :)
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 13, 2011, 11:06:22 PM
Spoiler
Now that Ned is gone, Jorah and Dany are my two favorite characters followed by Tyrion and Bronn.  :)
[close]

Spoiler
I agree. And...

Small spoilers for next season.

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure that Ser Barristan will join them in the next season, with the intention of protecting the last heir of King Aerys. Could get interesting. :)
[close]
[close]

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jun 13, 2011, 10:53:59 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Jun 13, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
or falls in love with the Khaleesi

Too blonde, or not blonde enough? That is the question.
Hey-- it's me!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Spoiler
Ser Jorah isn't unbeatable but becomes much better as a fighter when there is a woman at stake.  He was actually almost beaten in the book, but his counterblow was much more epic.  Almost cutting the dothraki in half.  Lets not forget that he felled the dothraki version of a Kingsguard, which are all excellent warriors.  Ian Glenn is a perfect casting for Ser Jorah.  I will never not be able to see Glenn as Jorah now when I read the books.

Shae DOES become an important character and you need to remember all Tyrion's conversations with her for the end of Season/book 3 to catch all the subtleties. 

Probably my three favorite POV characters are Dany, Jon Snow, and Tyrion (Arya would be just in the distance at four of the original POV's). And eventually in future seasons/2nd-4th books Ser Davos, Brienne and Jaime.  Favorite secondaries are Jorah, Bronn, Greatjon, Hound and Robb. There is lots to love in the series.  Nice the pub the books are getting and that unlike True Blood the changes have been minimal to the overall storyarc.  For along time the only people you could talk to about series were a bunch of elitist pricks who would jump all over you if you forgot somebody's retainer's grandfather hailing from a minor once mentioned house.

Another jaw dropping moment caught much better in the books was the reveal of Aemon Targaryen as being the Maester for the watch.  Coming from a family who eventually ruled harshly and were rebelled against.  I didn't even suspect that he'd be brothers with the Mad King and that he'd feel the hate for the Lannister's as well.
[close]

Also think the lack of big battles has to do with budget/time restraints.  True The Pacific was epic and one of the best war stories ever told, but it was looking at the formula Band of Brothers used. 

Think you'll see a longer season next year with a higher budget and more action.  There is one fairly epic battle that they CANNOT skimp next season.

BISHOP 93

BISHOP 93

anyone else heard that shaun bean has been stabbed defending someone in a pub!?

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

He'll probably die of his wounds.

Sean Bean always dies.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: BISHOP 93 on Jun 14, 2011, 07:01:27 PM
anyone else heard that shaun bean has been stabbed defending someone in a pub!?
Quote"Bean was said to have a cut arm and bruised face following the attack, but he declined to attend hospital and instead walked back into the bar and ordered another drink."
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/sean-bean-ordered-another-drink-after-stabbing_1225552

Invincible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed