Ridley Scott on AvP

Started by Darkness, Jul 31, 2007, 07:19:42 AM

Author
Ridley Scott on AvP (Read 12,505 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Aug 01, 2007, 07:06:20 AM
The guys paying for it.
Again, why? The film made back three times its budget. Why should the backers care that that money didn't come from the domestic market?

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2007, 07:09:07 AM
Again, why? The film made back three times its budget. Why should the backers care that that money didn't come from the domestic market?

No one seems to know why, and yet it happens again and again and again.  Domestic seems to be their primary concern.  Only when a movie tanks hard in the US but does well overseas do they trumpet "how well it's doing in Europe."

SM

SM

Weaver and Ryder went to Bill Mechanic to ask him to put certain scenes slated for cutting back into Resurrection:

"Bill mentions the soaring costs of Speed 2 and Titanic (what are we, chooped liver?) and the dismal box office of Alien3. "Not worldwide," I protest. "I'm talking domestic," says Bill"

- Sigourney Weaver

QuoteWhy should the backers care that that money didn't come from the domestic market?

Because they do.  Makes no sense but there you go.  Ultimately it was probably the worldwide BO that got Res green lit, but domestic box office has traditionally been the measure of success.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Its Game Time on Jul 31, 2007, 11:23:39 PM
I personally dont think avp screwed up the franchise, yeah the movie wasnt the best but it didnt screw up the franchise.

Ditto. Didn't screw it up, but could have been better, for sure.

echobbase79

echobbase79

The film has tarnished the images of both franchises. Most people I know who love both series can't stand AvP. Peter Briggs is right its Mortal Kombat 3: Monster On Ice.

KillingJoke

KillingJoke

AvP did destroy the franchise.  All it did was parody both series, particularly the Alien films.  Scott and Cameron have every right to be pissed off at Anderson and Fox.

Its Game Time

Its Game Time

Quote from: KillingJoke on Aug 06, 2007, 08:46:37 PM
AvP did destroy the franchise.  All it did was parody both series, particularly the Alien films.  Scott and Cameron have every right to be pissed off at Anderson and Fox.

I dont see how it screwed up the franchise. Yeah, it wasnt the best movie but it did not screw it up

SM

SM

Critically it screwed it up something chronic.  Financially, no big deal.

A.Nightmare

A.Nightmare

Lets face it..both Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection did not serve Scott's Vision and Cameron's at all. The Production was being cheap and well, they got a crappy story out of bot which destroyed the Alien Mythos and the storyline. As for AVP...well, Anderson did a crappy job but not all the blame is on him but the screenwriters and the studio...look at Hollywood now...to actually get a great story is hard now a days...now they will settle for crap. As i see It, I am faithful to Scott's and Cameron's Vision of the story. If they return, that be great! If i know Cameron...He come back at the right time. Scott will too..after all, they have to set the record straight.

SM

SM

QuoteAs for AVP...well, Anderson did a crappy job but not all the blame is on him but the screenwriters

Anderson IS the screenwriter...  ::)

QuoteLets face it..both Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection did not serve Scott's Vision and Cameron's at all.

Cameron introduced a Queen - how did that serve Scott's vision?  And what's more Alien was a LOT more than Scott's vision.

Fury161

Fury161

i thought the introducing the queen added another level 2 scott's vision

Huol

Huol

Quote from: Fury161 on Aug 15, 2007, 12:56:25 AM
Scott didn't like the queen or the hive.
He said something like:
"He turned my monster into an insect."

Horhey

Horhey

Quote from: Huol on Aug 19, 2007, 10:00:15 AM
He said something like:

Thats silly. What the hell was it before? How could he not like the Queen?

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: Huol on Aug 19, 2007, 10:00:15 AM
He said something like:

You sure?

He's had nothing but kind things to say about Aliens in the past, and even worked with Cameron to try and develop Alien 5, as we all know.

SiL

SiL

But he did indeed say the Cameron turned the Alien into an insect. Damned if I could find the quote, though ...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed