Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 26, 2023, 10:45:59 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie (Read 20,314 times)

Stitch

Quote from: skhellter on May 07, 2023, 12:07:51 PMthere are now 3 (count them). 3 whole people clamoring for a CGI alien 5 movie. (present poster included).

This army shall rise.

One day there might be a half dozen, even.

On a serious note: What interests me about this project isn't really the fanbait of "oh everyone's Back!"
We've already had that.
There are several adaptations of Gibson's script where the characters are all alive.

The real interest is that visual of Ripley with the suicide bomber vest. That's some First Reformed type shit.
Extremist Ripley who is old and so angry at the Company that she's willing to go that far to take them on? That's a compelling take to me.
All the mutant stuff is fun in a pulpy way too, but this is the main draw to me.

CGI? No. Animation? Maybe!

T Dog

Quote from: skhellter on May 07, 2023, 12:07:51 PMthere are now 3 (count them). 3 whole people clamoring for a CGI alien 5 movie. (present poster included).

This army shall rise.

One day there might be a half dozen, even.

On a serious note: What interests me about this project isn't really the fanbait of "oh everyone's Back!"
We've already had that.
There are several adaptations of Gibson's script where the characters are all alive.

The real interest is that visual of Ripley with the suicide bomber vest. That's some First Reformed type shit.
Extremist Ripley who is old and so angry at the Company that she's willing to go that far to take them on? That's a compelling take to me.
All the mutant stuff is fun in a pulpy way too, but this is the main draw to me.

They should de-age and AI voice Michael Biehn, Sigourney Weaver, Lance Hendriksen and Carrie Henn. Then they can all wear suicide bomber vests and blow up the company.

That's the REAL Alien 3.

SiL

Ripley going full terrorist against WY makes less sense as a sequel to Aliens than, say, if the company survived into Resurrection.

Like, the whole thing with Burke was that he was acting alone and the company did actually kind of need to toe the line of some interplanetary laws. They weren't all powerful. And since the marine loss was a military one, not corporate, and Burke's activities would probably be in the Sulaco logs, I don't see what more she actually needed to do to make their life hell.

T Dog

What's the general consensus around here regarding the novelisation of William Gibson's Alien 3? I know Hicks gave it a good review, just wondering what the rest of the community thinks?

skhellter

skhellter

just to underline, explore where i'm coming from here:

- newt was more interesting as a corpse.
- fincher's movie is wonderful
- engineers were a bad idea
- david is really neat and covenant is pretty fun.
- Ripley as a character is at her best when she's pushed to her limit.
- Weaver already did one attempt at a comeback, no harm in doing one more.

Franchises, in hollywood, never really end.
God knows Alien 3 was an attempt at that.. It didn't really stick as such. The sequels keep on coming.
But wouldn't it be neat, if there was an actual attempt at an "alternate ending" that would probably get to "stick" due to it being in an alternate timeline...
..without all that engineer nonsense?

Quote from: T Dog on May 08, 2023, 10:39:03 AMWhat's the general consensus around here regarding the novelisation of William Gibson's Alien 3? I know Hicks gave it a good review, just wondering what the rest of the community thinks?

Very messy but fun. Kinda turns Hicks into a Carpenter style protagonist "very angry man with few words to say and lots to do".

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on May 08, 2023, 10:17:50 AMRipley going full terrorist against WY makes less sense as a sequel to Aliens than, say, if the company survived into Resurrection.

Like, the whole thing with Burke was that he was acting alone and the company did actually kind of need to toe the line of some interplanetary laws. They weren't all powerful. And since the marine loss was a military one, not corporate, and Burke's activities would probably be in the Sulaco logs, I don't see what more she actually needed to do to make their life hell.

And frankly, one suicide bomber's not how you overthrow an oppressive regime, nor's exposing their crimes.

Most likely even if you did and somehow it affected their public relations that much it made their name shunned, another would rise up and take their place, as we see in Alien Resurrection.

Most of the most powerful institutions and the large companies that exist today are deeply corrupt, the real only way you stop them from existing's by destroying the infrastructure that allows them to exist in the first place, that's extremely difficult to portray with any authenticity and not a ton of naivety in film.

Necronomicon II

Quote from: skhellter on May 08, 2023, 10:44:04 AMjust to underline, explore where i'm coming from here:

- newt was more interesting as a corpse.
- fincher's movie is wonderful
- engineers were a bad idea
- david is really neat and covenant is pretty fun.
- Ripley as a character is at her best when she's pushed to her limit.
- Weaver already did one attempt at a comeback, no harm in doing one more.

Franchises, in hollywood, never really end.
God knows Alien 3 was an attempt at that.. It didn't really stick as such. The sequels keep on coming.
But wouldn't it be neat, if there was an actual attempt at an "alternate ending" that would probably get to "stick" due to it being in an alternate timeline...

Quote from: T Dog on May 08, 2023, 10:39:03 AMWhat's the general consensus around here regarding the novelisation of William Gibson's Alien 3? I know Hicks gave it a good review, just wondering what the rest of the community thinks?

Very messy but fun. Kinda turns Hicks into a Carpenter style protagonist "very angry man with few words to say and lots to do".

Seeing engineers get doused in black cleansing lotion was pretty cool. Apparently the lotion does whatever the writer wants though, such as manifesting cupcakes with sprinkles and conjuring toasters. Fiendishly inventive. 🧁

T Dog

Quote from: skhellter on May 08, 2023, 10:44:04 AMFranchises, in hollywood, never really end.

This felt appropriate to post

skhellter

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 08, 2023, 01:47:14 PMAnd frankly, one suicide bomber's not how you overthrow an oppressive regime, nor's exposing their crimes.

yes.
People in despair making profoundly naive choices is a wonderful fuel for drama. Always has been.

BlueMarsalis79

I guess, I just want to expect something a bit more truthful from Alien.

ralfy

CGI's inevitable, together with virtual sets. After that will come using AI to make the CGI and audio using samples of actors' likeness, voice, and mannerism.

Is Gibson's novel similar to the screenplay? I heard the audio drama version and it was OK. All the while, I was imagining something like Blade Runner in space, e.g., all protagonists surviving and finding themselves in a large space city populated by various groups, with eggs secretly collected from the craft by covert groups working with company officials, etc.

Maybe they can do something like that in mini-series form. That could also give a lot of room for more characters and some world-building.

Elgin’s Bad Luck

Hello, I found this story breakdown for Blomkamp's Alien 5 film.

I'm curious if anyone knows if it's fairly on target or fan fiction based off of the concept art.  Breakdown below:

The company got the derelict or a similar and transported to a huge colony for research. In our atmosphere it started to decay with the biogrowth possibly infecting the colony structure. Ripley hears about it from a thoroughly estranged and PTSD riddled Hicks and they put their differences aside.
Some eggs are found onboard and an infestation starts with traditional aliens and a queen.

Ripley informs an adult Newt and joins Hicks and a few mercenaries to get aboard the colony and fight a now dwindling set of mercenaries hired by Wetland Yutani.
Ripley finds the mole that informed her/Hicks encased and dead. We meet the combat android or lead scientist that is an android. He's pretty intense and singular in his vision to keep and develop the alien as a weapon.

A second outbreak of mutated experiments or different cargo on the derelict starts.
Lots of fights. Hicks is infected and quarantines himself and gets ready to destroy the station or communications or similar. Ripley finds the biosuite that the android gloats about and realises that she too must pilot the derelict away to destroy it.

If Newt was there she servives with both her parental figures gone or she is seen hearing about it knowing earth is safe but without her adoptive family.

TheBATMAN

I don't know the real details but I too have heard this outline and was told it's a fake.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, that all sounds like a pretty safe sequence of events that anyone online could string together using the concept art pieces that we have seen, but I'd imagine that some of those concept pieces must have evolved/developed beyond what we've seen to date and the finished script (or treatment or whatever it was) probably isn't so literally going through the motions of what we have access to (not to mention, there's likely a ton of concept art that exists that we haven't seen, but this synopsis only alludes strictly to what we have).

skhellter

skhellter

the way Earth is depicted in concept art for this looks pretty similar to how Earth was depicted in Gareth Edwards The Creator.

and btw that movie is pretty incredible. Go watch it.

Quote from: Elgin's Bad Luck on Nov 29, 2023, 02:55:08 AMHello, I found this story breakdown for Blomkamp's Alien 5 film.

nah, this feels completely off. (where does the stuff about the derelict come from?)

what we can gather from concept art, stuff that Blomkamp has said about elements in the story:

- Hicks and Ripley plot a break in into a secret WY research facility, hacking a WY synthetic to help them get in.
- The facility is a space station above Earth - the Montero.
- To get into the space station they use a space lift located in a high seas facility. (you can see the cables for the elevator connecting both facilities in concept art)
- The Montero houses a derelict engineer ship (from LV426?).
- The Aliens are being mutated and researched there. The mutated Eggs at the facility now don't produce "facehuggers" they produce a snake-like creature that penetrates humans and produces tons of miniature facehuggers. The main aliens that result from these have multiple arms like the Queen.
- Ripley's "invasion" results in the aliens breaking out, killing most of the staff, cocooning lots of people. The aliens establish a hive at the station.
- Ripley and Hicks have to fight the WY mercenaries protecting the facility and escape from the alien hive.
- Ripley has to get into a prototype biomech powersuit built from alien queen remains to fight the main alien queen in the facility.
- inevitably Ripley and Hicks' actions result in the space station and the main WY facility on earth catching fire.

lots of missing elements of course but the many pieces out there let you get a good overview of the main story and flow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed