Currently Playing (Read 959,733 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 05, 2014, 03:43:25 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 05, 2014, 03:39:48 AM
Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 05, 2014, 01:35:30 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 04, 2014, 08:00:55 PM

Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 04, 2014, 03:22:01 PM
Doom was the best in it's day. Let's be real here, major improvements have been made since then. Not lately since everything's gotta be CoD, but for a time there were major improvements.

Plus I only liked the first Bioshock

Where do you think CoD came from? It was originally built on the Quake 3 Engine. Where did Quake come from? It was a follow-up to DOOM, in a way. Every single shooter out there owes its heritage to DOOM and id Software.

Your point isn't that DOOM is somehow still superior, merely that it's old as f**k. Hey, I love DOOM, but to sit around and say it hasn't been surpassed is beyond ridiculous.
Well of course it's been surpassed. Every game will be surpassed at some point. I maintain it's the greatest game ever based on its contributions to video gaming.
That's shitty reasoning. That's like saying James Naismith is the best basketball player ever because he f**king created the game. That's not how it works, Doom.
Yeah, well, y'know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 05, 2014, 03:44:23 AM

Doom was the best in it's day. Let's be real here, major improvements have been made since then. Not lately since everything's gotta be CoD, but for a time there were major improvements.

Where do you think CoD came from? It was originally built on the Quake 3 Engine. Where did Quake come from? It was a follow-up to DOOM, in a way. Every single shooter out there owes its heritage to DOOM and id Software.

Your point isn't that DOOM is somehow still superior, merely that it's old as f**k. Hey, I love DOOM, but to sit around and say it hasn't been surpassed is beyond ridiculous.
Well of course it's been surpassed. Every game will be surpassed at some point. I maintain it's the greatest game ever based on its contributions to video gaming.
That's shitty reasoning. That's like saying James Naismith is the best basketball player ever because he f**king created the game. That's not how it works, Doom.

I mean he has a point. Admitting that the only reason you think it's the best is because it influenced better games is a kind of weak argument.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 05, 2014, 03:45:30 AM

I mean he has a point. Admitting that the only reason you think it's the best is because it influenced better games is a kind of weak argument.
How so? First of all, arguing what the greatest game ever is a moot point because it's purely subjective. Two, if you look at the roots of what we consider to be essential components of video gaming, DOOM invented them. Most notably, those would be multiplayer and mods.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 05, 2014, 03:47:18 AM

How so? First of all, arguing what the greatest game ever is a moot point because it's purely subjective. Two, if you look at the roots of what we consider to be essential components of video gaming, DOOM invented them. Most notably, those would be multiplayer and mods.
DOOM didn't invent mods and that has nothing to do with the actual game.

If we're talking about the best FPS game ever made, we have to look at only the mechanics. Not how much it influenced other games. That's just not how it works. It's so f**king obvious how much bias and nostalgia you're suffering from right now.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Just because DOOM was the best in its day doesn't mean it's still the best. DOOM was just an improvement of Wolfenstein 3D. By that logic does that make Wolfenstein 3D the best?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 05, 2014, 03:51:51 AM
Just because DOOM was the best in its day doesn't mean it's still the best. DOOM was just an improvement of Wolfenstein 3D. By that logic does that make Wolfenstein 3D the best?
Yes.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 05, 2014, 04:00:53 AM
Yes.

Works for me

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 05, 2014, 03:50:12 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 05, 2014, 03:47:18 AM

It's so f**king obvious how much bias and nostalgia you're suffering from right now.

OK fine, if you wanna be hostile, let's end this right now. We won't get anywhere.

No. Wolfenstein was one of a kind but it was very bare. The game didn't introduce revolutionary mechanics like DOOM did.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Yeah, especially when you're wrong.  :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 05, 2014, 04:22:33 AM
Yeah, especially when you're wrong.  :P
If you say so.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Finally!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Doom is the same game as wolfenstein with different skins.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Maze War is the best FPS.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 05, 2014, 04:26:51 AM
Doom is the same game as wolfenstein with different skins.

It's not. Its completely different engine.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Doesn't matter.

Doom is just Wolfenstein with demons.  That's the only difference.  All other aspects of gameplay are the same. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed