Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 959,985 times)

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: nostalgicalgorithms on Aug 21, 2013, 05:36:27 PM
I would not call Battlefields weapon ballistics realistic. While the weapons certainty do the type of damage we expect, both physics and weapon ballistics hardly behave in real life like they do in Battlefield 3. It's a decent attempt at mimicking the fast paced and violent nature of ground combat but nothing more.

I'm always confused when people talk about Battlefield being a simulation. If you want a different kind of challenge load up a classic like Operation Flashpoint. It's not perfect but it does a fair job at teaching real life military tactics.

Are you current/former military?

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Wut? Bullet drop is very real, and so are the projectiles. No hitscan weapons or other game convention weakness. Ever fired a BF sniper rifle and watched the round arc and descend over 800 meters before smacking someone in the head?

The only thing it doesn't have are wind/weather effects. Everything else is pretty accurate.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 21, 2013, 05:35:18 PM
^That game is legendary for the realism it attempted, and I kick myself for never having played it.
Right now some guys are cooking a new mod which makes the game just even more badass. Its a sound mod + some changed gameplay variables such as different running speed depending on the terrain (snow, mud,etc) and some other nice stuff. Not a small part of the info is gathered from forum members being a former or current operatives in Iraq and Afgan. One of features made with their help is the sound cracks when a bullet flies near you as they described it from their experience in the war zone ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iavhrDcgfQ#ws

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 21, 2013, 05:03:23 PM
A Lase + Javelin and an anti-air trooper would be devastating if all worked in concert. I would love to terrorize the skies with that squad!

You're almost useless as a 1-man anti-air platform, unless you set up your laser designator and switch classes to lase your own targets. Can you even do that? Lol not sure. You can set up spawn beacons for yourself, I know that.

I pretty much always run a lone wolf and only use squad mates for forward spawning. I just do what I can on my own because my squads are usually not very helpful on the tactical level.

If I were to play with friends on the other hand, then I can see myself working as a team and being coordinated.

So yea, I pretty never use anti air launchers because of this.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

If I had BF3 for 360 I'd join you Rich.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Aug 21, 2013, 05:50:32 PM
I pretty much always run a lone wolf and only use squad mates for forward spawning. I just do what I can on my own because my squads are usually not very helpful on the tactical level.

If I were to play with friends on the other hand, then I can see myself working as a team and being coordinated.

So yea, I pretty never use anti air launchers because of this.

I have returned to the battlefield, Rich. We should get together some time so you can work on your friendly fire again! :D ;D

WinterActual

WinterActual

Btw Dragon, I've found an old vid on my HDD where you can partially see the suppression effect. Well, not at its full strength but still.. Your screen gets blurry and you hear your heart beat and your hands are shacking so bad that you can aim fine, but in the vid I am not firing when I have the suppression effect and I am not directly shot at so the effect is minimal. The good thing is in the realism servers (thats how the mode is called) when you progress and level up your soldier to become more field experienced you will gain some resistance to the suppression effect since you are no more a raw recruit and can manage better not to freak out. That resistance is just a few % though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqBws-rSgo#

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I remember the early days when I was playing this with Galaxy gaming buddies. Prime was planting C4 on an enemy vehicle but I didn't notice, I just saw the vehicle and fired at it with an RPG and I blew up the enemy... and Prime by accident.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I would not call Battlefields weapon ballistics realistic. While the weapons certainty do the type of damage we expect, both physics and weapon ballistics hardly behave in real life like they do in Battlefield 3. It's a decent attempt at mimicking the fast paced and violent nature of ground combat but nothing more.

I'm always confused when people talk about Battlefield being a simulation. If you want a different kind of challenge load up a classic like Operation Flashpoint. It's not perfect but it does a fair job at teaching real life military tactics.

I've read that Red Orchestra 2 is the best one out there in terms of "simulating battlefield combat". It's supposedly the hardest one to play.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: WinterActual on Aug 21, 2013, 05:57:57 PM
Btw Dragon, I've found an old vid on my HDD where you can partially see the suppression effect. Well, not at its full strength but still.. Your screen gets blurry and you hear your heart beat and your hands are shacking so bad that you can aim fine, but in the vid I am not firing when I have the suppression effect and I am not directly shot at so the effect is minimal. The good thing is in the realism servers (thats how the mode is called) when you progress and level up your soldier to become more field experienced you will gain some resistance to the suppression effect since you are no more a raw recruit and can manage better not to freak out. That resistance is just a few % though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqBws-rSgo#
Damn. f**king awesome.

I always wanted to put that in my dream Aliens game, actual fear effects that would make your shit blurry, aim worse, etc... Would be brought on by just seeing the Aliens, or watching comrades die, or being injured, etc etc... and you could level up to overcome these issues, becoming a 'more experienced' marine in a fairly realistic manner.

But my game also had mad points/exp for squad behavior, following orders, sticking close, etc...

But no, that "wouldn't be fun" they say. Jesus God. ::) :( Games with realistic guns aren't fun!

WinterActual

WinterActual

Well, I hate the suppression systems in all games that have it. The devs don't have a clue how the different people will react during war. How they are so sure that everybody will be under "suppressed" effect? I mean some people have stronger will than others. Its a nice feature to have but it needs adjustment.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Got my Rathian set. ;D

Heavy Rain

Friend let me borrow it...yeah...this is not for me... :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I managed to finish Deadpool today. It was pretty damn fun throughout, except for the overlong and ridiculously overdifficult finale.

"Dude, there's a dude inside us!"

"Yeah, and not in the fun way."

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: WinterActual on Aug 21, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
Well, I hate the suppression systems in all games that have it. The devs don't have a clue how the different people will react during war. How they are so sure that everybody will be under "suppressed" effect? I mean some people have stronger will than others. Its a nice feature to have but it needs adjustment.
wut

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

Quote from: coolbreeze on Aug 21, 2013, 05:38:37 PM

Are you current/former military?

I have never served in the military but I do have hands on experience with military simulators. Once a year I make a appearance at this event called Otronicon here in Florida. If you want to get some practical experience on military weapons and tactics then buy yourself a copy of Steel Beasts Pro. The Battlefield series certainly goes to great lengths to make things look realistic. They get things pretty close buts its still a very twitchy shooter. Okay so bullets do drop? WOWZERS! Look at many of the missile weapons , the ranges on are either completely nerfed or very overpowered compared to the real life counter parts. The worst offense was the addition of aircraft, I wouldn't have bothered including anything more than some combat helicopters. The aircraft physics are downright laughable to any fans of flight sims. I can appreciate what the developers tried to do but the battles are still too small since they are more focused on eye candy. I'm still fan of Novalogic and their game Joint Op's. The largest BF map doesn't even compare the scope of Joint Ops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IRzlYuBHN4#ws
Ahhh the memories. Still a great game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed