ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,123 times)

SM

But like so many inconsistencies in non-film sources - that isn't supported by A:CM.

Those crazy Weylands.  I mean Bishops.  I mean... nevermind.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2014, 06:57:58 AM
But like so many inconsistencies in non-film sources - that isn't supported by A:CM.

Alternate universes, SM. Separate but parallel alternate universes.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 08, 2014, 04:26:19 AMIf WY influenced anything it would be behind the scenes.  Lubing some top Generals bank account so that he might send assets one way or another.

Exactly this.

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 08, 2014, 07:25:18 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2014, 06:57:58 AM

Alternate universes, SM. Separate but parallel alternate universes.

Perhaps for you.

Corporal Hicks

It just doesn't work that way for us so far. In fact, they've always actively been shown to retcon things to fix - Hicks and Newt into Billie and Wilks, Res with the Big Deletion. I'm not against multi-verse. I like different continuities, it allows for some degree of flexibility but it's just not how they've done the A/v/P/P EU so far.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 08, 2014, 08:16:51 AM
I'm not against multi-verse.

That's.. surprising to hear you of all people say that. I would've assumed you be against it. I have to ask you this one, Hicks but precisely why are not against the idea of an Alien-Predator multiverse?

If you ask me, I think this is something Fox should implement. I mean, Halloween has alternate timelines, Godzilla has an implied multiverse.. Why shouldn't Alien-Predator?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 08, 2014, 08:16:51 AM
I like different continuities, it allows for some degree of flexibility but it's just not how they've done the A/v/P/P EU so far.

Exactly how certain can we be that 25 years along with two crossovers of storytelling is jettisoned out? I mean I know you brought up the whole Wilkes and Billie, as well as the Big Deletion retcons. Unless I am taking SD's statement out of context, and I am hoping that I am not, but exactly how certain are we that this is a major retconning similar to what Star Wars went through and not a whole new universe?

SM

As far as I can tell/ say, Fox are actively trying to form a single continuity across multiple media, rather than letting the comics do their thing, games do their thing, and books do something different again.

I don't believe you'll ever hear Fox actively categorise the media that predates this as 'Classic' or 'Legacy' or 'Multiverse' though, and the writers themselves aren't interested in such categories either.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 08, 2014, 08:35:45 AM
That's.. surprising to hear you of all people say that. I would've assumed you be against it. I have to ask you this one, Hicks but precisely why are not against the idea of an Alien-Predator multiverse?

I've been a sci-fi fan since I can remember. Multiple universes and continuities are no strangers to me. I'm not against one because I feel that A/v/P/P is missing that unified feeling that I felt the earlier Bantam books/DH comics had. And I liked that feeling. I love the way the Titan, DH and CA efforts are shaping up in being connected. I'd prefer they just said it's a new continuity and crack on with it.

QuoteIf you ask me, I think this is something Fox should implement. I mean, Halloween has alternate timelines, Godzilla has an implied multiverse.. Why shouldn't Alien-Predator?

I think it should. I think it'd make things cleaner for the new authors having a brand new continuity. It wouldn't harm the old one because it still exists and there's nothing stopping me from enjoying it - even if the new efforts wouldn't include anything from them.

But that's just not the approach Fox is taking.

SM

What approach?

Corporal Hicks

Retconing to fit in with one big universe - well, it's the approach that has always been taken like with the Big Deletion.

I like that an effort is being made to keep all the new media - Isolation, Fire & Stone, Titan novels - in one coherent continuity but without some official comment (even if just from DH or etc) on them being a new continuity, the old stuff is always going to be there and associated with and the cause of potential issues.

Xenoegg

Besides the alien earth war Problem, we had since prometheus the Problem that the SJs are no elephant like creatures which was shown in the older comics and avp r  ;).

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2014, 09:49:06 AM
As far as I can tell/ say, Fox are actively trying to form a single continuity across multiple media, rather than letting the comics do their thing, games do their thing, and books do something different again.
It's always been that way, FOX is just being more proactive in keeping things unified now.

Kimarhi

The way they "tried" to keep things together was lazy and halfassed.

Wilks having Drake, Vasquez, and Hudson in his squad.  The Aliens still being on earth post Earth War and somehow the deletion of technology stops them from existing.......nevermind the fact that 200 years isn't enough time for people of earth to forget anything.  People aren't going to stop telling stories or keeping records just because their computers went down.  Never mind the fact that all these other corporations had caches of aliens off planet anyways.  And a memory eating computer virus wouldn't affect old technology that didn't have computers in them.  Took them back to the stoneage.  Right. 

The Weyland family owns the corps yet they need armies of personal security, mercenaries, and combat androids in Alien 3, AvP 2, AvP 2010, A: CM, to pull off their plans. 

The problem was and has been (maybe not now but I have my doubts) been that for the EU Fox has never really cared about their EU concerning Aliens franchise.  If they did they would have multiversed it along time ago or not come up with some of the stories they did.

Everybody looking for an Alien needed to only go to earth.  Or LV1201.  Or one of a dozen other overrun planets.

The EU has always been its own thing for me. 

predxeno

I'm not sure Fox really is fixing AVP canon as many think, this isn't the first time they tried to reboot the series, all one needs to do is look up John Shirley's interviews on this forum for Predator: Forever Midnight.  Fox wanted to reboot the franchise with its new line of DH Press novels but nothing ever came of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed