A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997)

Started by gold, Sep 16, 2016, 10:15:32 PM

Author
A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997) (Read 31,343 times)

SM

Local Trouble

Nostromo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2016, 09:45:18 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 10:48:03 PM
They see me hating.  They ball licking.

Quite.

Lol can you explain what you meant by that SM?

SM

The context is evident in the thread.

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: gold on Sep 19, 2016, 05:22:26 AM
Thanks, I'll take it as a compliment :)

PS: Other A:CM goofs:

If Cruz was a Battalion Commander he would actually be a Lieutenant Colonel and not a Captain.

A Captain would be in command of just a (rifle) company of 100-200 men, consisting of three to six platoons of 15-30 men, each headed by an Lt.

With a platoon consisting of two squads of 8-12 men, each headed by a Sergeant, and each squad consisting of two to three fireteams of 3-4 men, each headed by a Corporal.

If USCM infantry battalions are anything like present day USMC infantry battalions, Cruz would have closer to 960-1500 Marines under his command and not a few hundred.

Also, the word "Actual" is being used incorrectly.

Unit commanders like Cruz are referred to by their unit's callsign and the number 6. Cruz would be Sephora-6 and Sulaco-6.

The only time the word "actual" would be used, is to clarify that Cruz is the person actually speaking, and not his radio operator relaying the message.

I would like to point out that he is the captain of the ship, the actual mission commander was in aliens:infestation, and he was taken out of the fight before Winter is woken up for yhe events of ACM.

Local Trouble

I thought A:CM contradicted Infestation.  SM?

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2016, 10:40:44 PM

It might have some contradictions, but it was intended to be a prequel to acm.

I wouldn't let contradictions get in the way of using material, fox is ok with canon being lose, and if we dod let contradictions get in the way of proclaiming what is or isn't in the series, we wouldn't get past alien or prometheus.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2016, 10:40:44 PM

It did.

Infestation was more fun for starters.

It was intended to be linked to A:CM, but somewhere along the line that fell apart.

Local Trouble

What are the biggest contradictions between the two?

SM

Sulaco had a gigantic hole blown in forward ventral hull at the end and floated off into space.

Amongst other continuity problems.

Local Trouble

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2016, 11:39:33 PM
Sulaco had a gigantic hole blown in forward ventral hull at the end and floated off into space.

Amongst other continuity problems.

I would like to point out that not enough of the lower part of the hull was shown in acm to see if the damage done to it in infestation was their or not.

Also in between those events, it spinning off and losing control, and Winter being unthawed, the ship would have corrected itself ether because of the wy forces aboard or the ships computer.  Just because we know what happened aboard the ship doesn't mean Cruz and whatever is left of the forces aboard his ship do, they would try to reconnect with the ship from aliens and get there marines off of it.

Local Trouble

Did you just seamlessly reconcile the two games?

SM

QuoteCan you make it fit?

Somehow the Sulaco, ejecting cryotubes on August 8 (having docked with the Legato sometime before this) ends up 20 odd light years off course at Gamma Leporis 10 days later and was found adrift by the UPP.  Sulaco is intercepted by the Sephora, who find it infested.  They find the UPP has also setup a base on LV-426 so go there to blow it up.  It's also infested with Aliens. They escape in an APC and crash into a now intact 2122-era Derelict.

They go back to the Sulaco, fight more Aliens, Sulaco arrives at Phobos, more Aliens in WY research station.  Back to Sulaco again, ends with big hull breech after the boss battle and Sulaco spiralling off into space.

Then in A:CM the Sulaco is back at LV-426 again, intact.

Not much point in trying to make it fit.  Unless one wants to make it more fun by factoring in CMTM, and the arcade games Aliens Extermination and Alien3 - The Gun.  And Earth War comics.

QuoteI would like to point out that not enough of the lower part of the hull was shown in acm to see if the damage done to it in infestation was their or not.

You can see the part of the ship that was breeched in Infestation, during the opening titles of A:CM.  It's where the main ship signage is (or was).

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 20, 2016, 01:18:38 AM
Not much point in trying to make it fit.  Unless one wants to make it more fun by factoring in CMTM, and the arcade games Aliens Extermination and Alien3 - The Gun.  And Earth War comics.

Who would do such a thing?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed