Inconsistencies

Started by UDA, Feb 06, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

Author
Inconsistencies (Read 73,740 times)

UDA

UDA

I apologize for not stating this sooner: There are unmarked spoilers in this thread

Note:

None of this is set in stone, but I'd like to see a list of things that differ from the original movie, anything from layouts, to presence of objects or the locations of objects that could not be easily remedied by further knowledge of the Aliens Colonial Marines Games. I'll check back and update the first post every so often so we have a list. Keep in mind the game isn't out as of the time of this writing, and whatever might be stated here is subject to change. This isn't meant to be a jab at Gearbox, but would certainly make for interesting discussion. Keep in mind there are audio-logs in the game which may reveal information that contradicts what is stated here, in which case, please bring it up in discussion.

After the release of the game, I expect at least a few weeks afterwords, up to a couple of months, I will preform a final write up on this thread which ad hear to proper language, as many notes designated by the "( and )" will be removed as possible, save for special circumstances. If at that time you feel you can write a better section on a particular exhibit listed below, let me know. I will then add a section of contributors including those who provided observation and fact checking, as well as those who have offered to rewrite specific parts of this list for grammatical errors or more fluent language. I should note, though I hope this list and it's exhibits and particular points provide sustenance to the argument of the inconsistency, that shorter is better, and ultimately would like all exhibits to be refined to no more than a couple of sentances, and a short detail of information, as well as the ones who contributed marked by the "{ and}".

Below is a list of note worthy differences from the 1986 Cameron film and Aliens: Colonial Marines, which has been touted as cannon:

Sulaco:

1) The amount of cryo-Tubes on board the Sulaco (I haven't confirmed this, I'll revisit the videos later today to confirm, or if somebody else can confirm) - there were over a dozen people on board the Sulaco, 9 field marines, Gorman, Burke, Ripley and Bishop, and also 2 pilots for the dropship, totaling 15. {Has been confirmed by SM, will rewrite this once I double check his numbers: SM'S Statement: Should be at least 11 burned cryotubes.  Not 8 unburned ones.}

2) Sulaco's Hanger - The hanger in the film could hold 2 Dropships, it appears that the hanger presented in Aliens: Colonial Marines could only hold 1. {Thank you SM}

3) Bishops legs have moved - Possibly due to decompression when Ripley opened the airlock on the Sulaco, after the queen split Bishop in two pieces. However, considering the possibility of Weyland-Yutani recent presence on board the Sulaco, as indicated by their equipment, cameras and quarantine sheets shown in the IGN video, it's possible that they were moved during an investigation by Weyland-Yutani operatives prior to the beginning of the game. {will amend if nessesary after release and imput} {Thank you SM}

4) Position of lockers and names on lockers - various inconsistencies from the film to the game concerning the position of the lockers in the ready room, as well as lockers located near the umbilical. It should be noted at Gearbox held a competition to have your name in the game, and the name "Crow" maybe representative of the contest winner, instead of being representative of the character "Crowe" from the 1986 film. {Please note this is a place holder and touch more on the speculative side, and it will be amended after the games release} {Thank you SM}

5) The grating on board the Sulaco that the Queen removed at the end of the 1986 film while chasing Newt - Many are claiming that these grates are in the wrong location, the film is not totally clear as to the location of these grates, but others maybe seeing something I am not, asking for some confirmation from other sources and will edit this section when I get it.

6) Fire Damage - In Alien 3 the survivors on board the Sulaco are ejected via Emergency Escape Vehicle (EEV) due to a fire on board the sulaco, possibly caused by the alien, as implied in Alien 3, or by the Weyland Yutani Corperation as implied in the game. It appears that the fire damage maybe in the wrong position in the cryo-bay area. {Thank you SM}

7) Air Lock - The airlock Ripley uses to eject the Queen into space is much too small, to fit a power loader and queen in.

8 ) Cryo-Tube Ejection - It is reported that the manner which the Cryo-tubes would be loaded onto the EEV is incorrect. Discrepancies concerning whether it was loaded from the top or bottom of the cryo-tube. (this will be amended as the conversation continues) {Thank you SM and RC}

LV-426 Exterior / Surface

1) APC (as seen in the IGN footage) - the aliens movie insinuated that the APC was destroyed when the dropship crashed, and Hudson mentions such later on when they realize the atmospheric processor is a nuclear bomb.

2) Colony storm wall has moved - Looking for some kind of image to reference, but I trust the source. Colony storm wall is near the landing field at the north end of the complex in the 1986 film.  There's no barrier between the south end that faces the AP and the AP itself.{Thank you SM}

3) The Crawler survived the nuclear blast - The crawler, featured in the Special Edition of Aliens (1986), which Newts family used to investigate the Direlect at the beginining of the film, seems untouched by the nuclear explosion, though Hadley's Hope, seemingly farther away from the site of the detonation, is heavily damaged {Thank you SM}

Hadleys Hope Interior / Immediate Exterior

1) Hudsons' Facehugger - the face-hugger Hudson killed is not in the correct position, should be on the table top but is actually on the floor (have not reviewed this one myself, but will soon, will likely change) {Thank you SM and 1 other source I can't recall at the moment}

2 ) Hudson's Hole - Reportedly, the hole that Hudson was dragged into is not in the right location, Will look into this further, and possibly wait until after the game comes out before modifying this {Thank you SM}

3) Facehuggers in Med-lab- in the 1986 film, there are 6 facehuggers in the medical lab tubes, two of which are still alive. Bishop dissects one of the dead facehuggers, and the two live ones are released by Burke in an attempt to impregnate Ripley and Newt. In the game, there are still 6 facehuggers.

Movie to Game Cannon:

1) Hicks' death - After some deliberation and discussion, Hick's being alive during A:CM does not match up to known timelines and chains of events on board the Sulaco, given both the movies and the games accounts. We understand Weyland Yutani boarded the Sulaco, Hicks was woken up because of an alarm that was sounded because of their presence, there was a fire and the remaining cryo-pods were ejected. Thus far, no explenation is given why another person would be in Hick's cryo-tube, and why during this time Weyland Yutani did not remove Ripley, Newt and Bishop from cryo for testing and interrogation (particularly Bishop, who would have been a walking black box, but also Ripley, who has more experience with the creatures. It is still not indicated in the game if the fire was started by a xenomorph, which would have sounded a different or second alarm. Order of events and missing elements of the story lead many in these discussions to believe there is no appropriate explanation that satisfies what is mentioned in the movie. (see discussion around page 14 of this thread) {Subject to strong changes or removal after the release of the game, Thank you SM and ____(other's I will have to re-look up the names fore, will fix this soon)}

2) Removing the Chest-buster from the host - It is implied in Alien: Resurrection that the alien fetus can be removed from the host surgically, as is the case with Ripley 8. In the game, There's is an explanation that even if the alien is removed, the host will still die because of a placenta that absorbs nutrients from the host, by rooting into organs, and feeding those nutrients to the xenomorph fetus. Even if the Chest-buster were surgically removed, the placenta would still kill the host.

Aliens: Colonial Marines Contradictions:

1) The position of the Sephora and Sulaco. It is implied often that the two ships are facing opposite directions, but before the Sephora is destroyed, it is shown facing the same direction as the Sulaco. This can be seen when the player enters the bridge of the ship.

2) In the special edition of the game, a set of orders comes with the package that dictates that the marines should not create a base near Hadleys-Hope. In game, the Marines set up base at Hadleys-Hope.  {thank you SIL}

Speculative: I need further information or we are waiting for the game to come out. Ultimately I'd like this list not to exist a month after the games release.

Presence of weapons in LV-426 main operations center - these were not left by the original marines of the 1986 movie, however, it could be explained by the presence of Weyland-Yutani in game, or that another marine team from the cash site visited this location before Winters team did.

Hicks' message we see in the trailer. There doesn't seem to have been a decent time that this message could have been sent other than on board the dropship while Ripley was retrieving Newt. Before Ripley leaves the dropship, Hicks is much more soft spoken than we see in the transmission featured in the trailers.

Hudsons Pulse Rifle - Written in game as a burst weapon, thought his may not be the case of the weapon Hudson used in the 1986 film. It is never implied that the pulse rifles in the movies were using a 'burst feature' and this may contradict Hick's desire to remind Hudon, Vasquez and Ripley to use 'short controlled bursts'.

The original Ithaca 37 Stakeout used by Hicks in the 1986 movie does not have 'No Fate' written on the side. Unknown is this is specific to DLC, naturalized to campaign, or if this has been rectified by Gearbox since we have last seen this weapon. {Thank you WinterActual} {*Possibly an easter-egg and will wait for the game to come out before amending, you can see the discussion around page 5 of this thread}

The motion tracker featured in the game uses different colors for ally / enemy indication. This is likely a game play mechanic, but does not fit the known cannon of the 1986 film. However, this could be an updated version of the motion tracker, will wait for the game to come out to see if it's confirmed. - Also, the motion tracker tracks unmoving enemies as well as moving ones, according to a few reports {Thank you WinterActual}

There are a number of legendary weapons in game which are supposed to be the same weapons used by characters in the movie, such as Frost's flamethrower and Vasquez's smartgun. The existence of these weapons contradicts what we know of, which is that the Atmospheric processor destroyed some of these weapons. Those that may not have been destroyed have been located in areas away from where the weapons would have been left. Many feel this is more an easter-egg than an accurate depiction of the aftermath of LV 426.

If anyone has anything to contribute, I will add it up here, but please have some kind of source if at all possible, and anything that could be easily explained away in the game, in other words does not directly contradict the movie, will be listed as speculative, which we'll have to wait for the game to come out before making a decision. I am relying on trailers and my own observations, as well as contradictions that others on this forum have reported, to add to this list. Ultimately, I'd like to see this list grow to a point where it is a main-stay in the forums, and can be used as a reference point for the die-hard fans who want to know the very exact cannon of the original film, the game, and what differences their may be.

I will give credit where it is due for those who make observations and add to this list wherever applicable. Thank you to the community and all who participate.

Needed: specific instances where the game contradicts itself.

I would like to thank those of you who have participated thus far, and hope this discussion continues for at least a couple of months after the release of the game. I'd like to give special thinks to SM and Winter Actual, who by observation have contributed much to this thread, and whom I may have often stolen exact phrases from. And to Valaquen, who owns "Strange Shapes", which was a source I consulted with a few times on periphery and fact checking for background information.

WinterActual

WinterActual

The original Ithaca 37 Stakeout used by Hicks in the movie haven't No Fate written on its side neither Hicks on the top like in its counterpart in the game.

UDA

UDA

accidental double post, sorry for this.

SM

SM

If Hicks gun survived the APC crash he woulda used it.

And from another thread:

- Bishops legs have moved.  Still don't make sense if this is where they're supposed to have landed.  Of course if someone moved them...

- They talk about the grates being pulled up by the Queen matching what's in the film - sorry, doesn't match the film. Compare to the shot when Ripley crawls out the airlock.  Similar to how he says 'that's where the Queen ripped Bishop apart'. Nope.

- Doesn't say 'READY RM' on the ready room as per the film.

- Says '3D' above the ready room in the game. '4D' in the film.

- The hangar itself is only half the size of the one in the film.  There's no space for a second dropship.

- Lockers aren't in the right spot (Hudson and Vasquez aren't next to each other for instance).

- Jorden tractor survived the nuke.

- Colony storm wall has moved.

- Colony even exists.

- Shot hugger in medical was in pieces on the floor - not in one piece on a trolley.

- Ops/ medical layout and area surrounding has too many mistakes to mention.

- Panels on Hudson's hole are wrong.

- Should be at least 11 burned cryotubes.  Not 8 unburned ones.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 10:55:03 AM
If Hicks gun survived the APC crash he woulda used it.

And from another thread:

- Bishops legs have moved.  Still don't make sense if this is where they're supposed to have landed.  Of course if someone moved them...

- They talk about the grates being pulled up by the Queen matching what's in the film - sorry, doesn't match the film. Compare to the shot when Ripley crawls out the airlock.  Similar to how he says 'that's where the Queen ripped Bishop apart'. Nope.

- Doesn't say 'READY RM' on the ready room as per the film.

- Says '3D' above the ready room in the game. '4D' in the film.

- The hangar itself is only half the size of the one in the film.  There's no space for a second dropship.

- Lockers aren't in the right spot (Hudson and Vasquez aren't next to each other for instance).

- Jorden tractor survived the nuke.

- Colony storm wall has moved.

- Colony even exists.

- Shot hugger in medical was in pieces on the floor - not in one piece on a trolley.

- Ops/ medical layout and area surrounding has too many mistakes to mention.

- Panels on Hudson's hole are wrong.

- Should be at least 11 burned cryotubes.  Not 8 unburned ones.

lol, holy crap. I should have asked you to start this one...  Ok, give me some time to sort that out and I'll modify it in.  I won't use all of it, just the major points and what we can easily know without using screenshots or direct reference to trailers or time-sigs in the movie. At least until the game actually comes out.

PLEXI

PLEXI

QuoteHudsons Pulse Rifle - Written in game as a burst weapon, thought his may not be the case of the weapon Hudson used in the 1986 film. Is there a moment where Hudson fires more than what would constitute a burst of 4 rounds? We do not know how much a 'burst' counts for in Aliens: Colonial Marines.
The M41A supports single fire, three round burst, five round burst, and of course full auto firing modes according to the TM.  Keeping it locked to a burst fire will make it feel more like the movie I guess..  It is pretty disappointing that they've gotten so much wrong after self proclaiming the accuracy and dedication to detail.  Doesn't bode well for the game as a whole.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

I'm thinking about canceling my pre order and waiting to get the cheap, all this negative news in past week has me doubting this game.

PLEXI

PLEXI

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 06, 2013, 01:07:10 PM
I'm thinking about canceling my pre order and waiting to get the cheap, all this negative news in past week has me doubting this game.
Don't let us detract from your (hopeful) enjoyment of the game. If you have really been that discouraged, just make a decision once the first batch of reviews and playthroughs comes out.  If it's worth your hard earned money go for it, otherwise it will probably be on sale at the end of the year. Most of the preorder DLC will be released in the coming months so I doubt you'll have to worry pre-orders.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 06, 2013, 01:07:10 PM
Welcome to the club bro  :laugh:

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Just sucks I feel this way, I mean we as a fan base deserve a great game, but fox doesn't give a shit it seems.

MR EL1M1NATOR

MR EL1M1NATOR

I would say there being facehuggers in tubes in the med labs is inconsistent, considering that in the room next to it the wall has been ripped off from an explosion. Also, bishop dissected at least one. And Burke put at two in the room with Ripley and Newt while they were sleeping. Yet there are 6 tubes all with facehuggers in them.

How many would the colonists collect before they realised that people are having aliens burst out of their chest?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PLEXI on Feb 06, 2013, 01:05:02 PM
The M41A supports single fire, three round burst, five round burst, and of course full auto firing modes according to the TM.  Keeping it locked to a burst fire will make it feel more like the movie I guess..  It is pretty disappointing that they've gotten so much wrong after self proclaiming the accuracy and dedication to detail.  Doesn't bode well for the game as a whole.

Both Ripley and Vasquez let loose with full automatic fire. So not exactly "more like the movie."

(Vasquez empties the last 10-15 rounds out of the magazine with the trigger held down.)

Again, I ask you, if the weapon is already equipped with a burst mode, why would Hicks feel compelled to instruct his fellow marines, and recently educated woman, on firing discipline?

Makes no sense.  ;D

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 06, 2013, 01:52:05 PM
Just sucks I feel this way, I mean we as a fan base deserve a great game, but fox doesn't give a shit it seems.

The way you all whine about minor sh*t that doesn't add to its storytelling, No you don't deserve a better game.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: bobby brown on Feb 06, 2013, 02:23:08 PM
Quote from: chrisr232007 on Feb 06, 2013, 01:52:05 PM

The way you all whine about minor sh*t that doesn't add to its storytelling, No you don't deserve a better game.

So it's okay for Gearbox to tout being incredibly authentic, exhaustively researched, and get things that are actually really obvious dead freaking wrong?

Excuse me, if they want our money, they shouldn't feed us a big bucket of crap.

You take it as whining. I take it as quality control. If Gearbox actually listened to these observations, and implemented them. *snap* blammo. We'd have a game by far way more authentic. Gearbox would garner a LOT of good will and loyalty.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 06, 2013, 02:25:54 PM
You take it as whining. I take it as quality control. If Gearbox actually listened to these observations, and implemented them. *snap* blammo. We'd have a game by far way more authentic. Gearbox would garner a LOT of good will and loyalty.

...HmmmMMMmm.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed