Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 118,951 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

I'm a die hard alien fan, and I'm not disappointed because I dont have a doubt that this film will connect to the Alien series.

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 17, 2011, 01:03:10 AM
I'm a die hard alien fan, and I'm not disappointed because I dont have a doubt that this film will connect to the Alien series.

Said who? Did Fox and Ridley take back their last statement about the movie?

ThisBethesdaSea

With all due respect...nowhere did they say that this film wouldn't connect to the larger saga.

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 17, 2011, 02:14:22 AM
With all due respect...nowhere did they say that this film wouldn't connect to the larger saga.

true... neither did they say that it would... all they said is that it is no longer an Alien film, only sharing its DNA...

MrFacehug

What the unholy mother of f**k?! I was looking forward to another Alien movie so bad and now this comes along and head-bites my expectations to a bloody pulp. Ridley even wrote about doing a prequel movie in his intro for the information-booklet in the Blu-ray set. I definately thought it was official when I read that.
Sure, he'll be making a new original movie, and it'll probably be good. Still, as an Alien fan, I've gotten tired of these pesky Predators stealing the Aliens' glory. Why do we get "Predators" and not an Alien prequel?! God, I'm pissed now... >:(

MasterRich

MasterRich

just think of it like this, AVP AVPR and now this new movie, just ignore that they even exist. For me I just acknolwedge that Alien Aliens and Alien 3 are the ONLY movies made in my eyes. So screw AVP AVPR and whatever else they do, those 3 movies are and will always be the best and only alien movies. It helps to think that way :)

PredalienXenomorph

The news actually makes me happy, now they can use any design they want in a movie that has loads of potential.

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: MasterRich on Jan 17, 2011, 02:57:09 AM
just think of it like this, AVP AVPR and now this new movie, just ignore that they even exist. For me I just acknolwedge that Alien Aliens and Alien 3 are the ONLY movies made in my eyes. So screw AVP AVPR and whatever else they do, those 3 movies are and will always be the best and only alien movies. It helps to think that way :)

Thats why I pretend that Alien, Aliens, and Alien Resurrection are the only films. As long as I am concerned, Alien 3 never happened... Although I tend to see a plot hole...

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: MrFacehug on Jan 17, 2011, 02:25:56 AM
What the unholy mother of f**k?! I was looking forward to another Alien movie so bad and now this comes along and head-bites my expectations to a bloody pulp. Ridley even wrote about doing a prequel movie in his intro for the information-booklet in the Blu-ray set. I definately thought it was official when I read that.
Sure, he'll be making a new original movie, and it'll probably be good. Still, as an Alien fan, I've gotten tired of these pesky Predators stealing the Aliens' glory. Why do we get "Predators" and not an Alien prequel?! God, I'm pissed now... >:(

Ummm...there's plenty of glory for both species, I'm sure...

Besides, they're both aliens and predators, so it's kind of hard for their predatory instincts to overshadow their xenomorphic nature...or something....

Okay...if Ridley said he would do it on the Blu-Ray note thingy, then Prometheus had better be connected somehow.

I like the idea of a film focusing on the Space Jockeys, or maybe one showing what led to the Aliens but without directly linking to it! Maybe it would be a "reverse-cameo," as a movie unconnected with the Aliens comes out featuring the Space Jockeys, and then younger viewers who discover Alien will go "Hey, doesn't that skeleton look like those creatures in Prometheus? Wow, that's a coincidence! Or is it...?" And then they realize the connection between the two series.

Alas, MasterRich and Mr. Gonsa, I will argue for Alien and AVP, and whichever of the other films I have yet to see that I will end up liking to be the only canon films. I predict Aliens will make it on there, but if it does, then it's doubtful I will tolerate either of the films after it.

Then again, I might end up hating Aliens and one day make a film that negates it, who knows? (It could happen to any of us!  ;D)

That's why screwing with what's canon and what isn't canon in a series purely based on your liked and disliked entries in said series is dangerous. Once you eliminate, say, the AVP films, any of the other films are open to "deletion" -- and everyone, film makers included, have different opinions on what should be canon.

So please don't mess with continuity. Unless, as with AVPR, the offending film has something that makes no frikkin' sense without messing up the canon of the later films. 

samoht

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Jan 17, 2011, 03:31:27 AM
Quote from: MasterRich on Jan 17, 2011, 02:57:09 AM

Thats why I pretend that Alien, Aliens, and Alien Resurrection are the only films. As long as I am concerned, Alien 3 never happened... Although I tend to see a plot hole...

I tend to just pretend that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection never happened.

As far as I know, Ripley, Newt and Cp.Hicks are still in their sleeping tanks in space.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: samoht on Jan 17, 2011, 04:19:05 AM

As far as I know, Ripley, Newt and Cp.Hicks are still in their sleeping tanks in space.

Word.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 17, 2011, 04:23:30 AM
Quote from: samoht on Jan 17, 2011, 04:19:05 AM

Word.

Yay!  ;D

Bishop2

I'm not mad about this at all. Just disappointed. But really, from a business standpoint, can you blame anyone for this decision? Isn't this COMPLETEY LOGICAL? Smart, even? Honestly, fellas. It makes sense; it just sucks for us hardcore fans.

Like the movie or not, Alien vs. Predator gave both franchises a shot in the arm by providing a successful movie for the first time since f**king Aliens and Predator. Suddenly, there was the promise of new life for these franchises in the medium of film. Fox used that new energy, that new boost of success to give us AVP: Requiem and Predators. After that string of... well, however you felt about those, they were cheap and didn't exactly bring in phat cash. So it's hard not to get excited about the idea of Fox taking a risk and powerfully re-investing in the properties by going back to someone who put together the original classics - Ridley Scott.

On the flip side, however, many of us weren't exactly enthused by watching the last few flicks, and so really, maybe we should just be grateful that they're not going to jack up continuity any worse than they already did with the PredAlien Queen-thing or something.

Kimarhi

At least deadspace 2 still has necromorphs in it!

Fujimaster

An original Ridlet Scott Sci Epic = WIN!!!
No more new alien movie = FAIL!!!

Honestly dont know hoe i feel about this

...and chupacabras acheronsis is right

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed