Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 118,956 times)

Valaquen

Quote from: Vulhala on Jan 15, 2011, 02:10:45 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 15, 2011, 02:09:43 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 15, 2011, 02:08:17 AM
At least now we won't have endless bitching about canon rapage.
Wouldn't count on that. Expect people to try and connect the universes, especially if Giger is on board [and that's IF he is]. People find a way to be ridiculous.

That's what I love about you mate, always the optimist  :laugh:
Sorry, I'm just really bummed. I've been expecting a Space Jockey-laden, Kingdom of Heaven-esque space epic for the past year. Now it's gone like Keyser Soze. As an Alien fan I'm let down, but as a sci-fi fan ... eh, we'll see what comes of this ... But Alien and Blade Runner is a helluva sci-fi track record.

Vulhala

I feel exactly the same way. But if Riddles feels he can't improve it or save it, I'd rather he left it alone. I'd prefer absolutely nothing before I had to watch another AvP:R, but if true this news gives us an out, and I can live with that.

StrangeShape

Im delighted with this news! As much as I would love to see an alien movie with Giger, I HATED the idea of a prequel. For me the mystery and unknown were THE best elements of the original alien, never seeing the Space Jockey, not knowing what he is, what happened to the crew, what alien is and all that.  Those elements made this movie and created the biggest terror. Thankfully, the mystery will be preserved now. Im very looking forward to this new project, go Ridley

Valaquen

I hate you StrangeShape. I hope we never meet. >;)

ShadowPred

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 15, 2011, 02:22:44 AM
Im delighted with this news! As much as I would love to see an alien movie with Giger, I HATED the idea of a prequel. For me the mystery and unknown were THE best elements of the original alien, never seeing the Space Jockey, not knowing what he is, what happened to the crew, what alien is and all that.  Those elements made this movie and created the biggest terror. Thankfully, the mystery will be preserved now. Im very looking forward to this new project, go Ridley

Completely agree, except maybe about hating on a prequel. For me it never really mattered.

Alexa Chung

i hope grand mythology and universe does not mean 'explaining the space jockeys'

Jay Thomas

It seems like those who are glad this isn't a prequel are glad that the MYSTERY is going to be kept intact.

I believe Ridley would have left a great deal of mystery, maybe even added more, with the prequel. I don't think he was setting out to fully articulate every detail about the Alien's origin.

What I'm hearing from the articles is that this movie became "too good" to be a prequel. "We'll just scrap the aliens because we can make tons of money anyway."

This makes me even more disappointed, because a large new mythology and direction is exactly what this franchise needs.

chupacabras acheronsis

not "too good". it became "too different".

they tried "different" before.

StrangeShape

But Scott was about to show and explain Jockeys story and go into the terraforming etc, and the rumor had it that alien was their genetic experiment (an idea i just really dislike, I prefer them to be some ancient species that once wiped out life or maybe even some kind of demons or something, idk, anything but a genetically engineered weapon) So the mystery will be preserved, the series will be left untouched and we'll get a new original creature movie with Scott and Giger, sounds like a win to me

Vulhala

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 15, 2011, 02:35:40 AM

Can you explain 'why', without mentioning AvP:R?

RidgeTop

I'm very disappointed.  It's always nice to have a new Sci-Fi film on the horizon but this is a huge let down.  I guess we can only hope Fox will revive it in a different way, and that we might get Predators Part 2 and AVP3 (yeah, I said it).

predxeno

predxeno

Probably for the best.  Ridley Scott most likely would have made it so that the Aliens were artificial creatures accidentally made by the Space Jockeys or something and not made naturally like humans, Predators, etc.  I know a lot of fans will be disappointed, but also that a lot of fans will be relieved that the Aliens' origins will still be shrouded in mystery.  I'll still see the film in 3D and see how "Alien" it still is after being altered into a new movie/franchise. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'd prefer it if the Aliens were natural creatures and not accidentally "created" or anything.

Valaquen

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 15, 2011, 02:37:21 AM
But Scott was about to show and explain Jockeys story and go into the terraforming etc, and the rumor had it that alien was their genetic experiment (an idea i just really dislike, I prefer them to be some ancient species that once wiped out life or maybe even some kind of demons or something, idk, anything but a genetically engineered weapon) So the mystery will be preserved, the series will be left untouched and we'll get a new original creature movie with Scott and Giger, sounds like a win to me
He's been saying they're Jockey-weapons for years. Ancient species reminds me of AVP.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Vulhala on Jan 15, 2011, 02:39:17 AM

Can you explain 'why', without mentioning AvP:R?

Aliens was different, and it succeeded. Alien3 tried to go back to the roots, and it went "alright".  Ressurection tried to change again, and it sucked.

then, AvP, and the one that shouldn't be named.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 15, 2011, 02:43:12 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 15, 2011, 02:37:21 AM
He's been saying they're Jockey-weapons for years.

But it was just one of the ideas and its different to theorize it outisde of the movie then actually to show it.

QuoteAncient species reminds me of AVP.

Not necessarily. It reminds me of the original alien. Jockey was fossilized so he was lying there for thousands of years at least, and in Aliens we know that no one ever encountered such creatures. So the mystery was phenomenal. We knew it was something ancient but didnt know what it was and why was it extinct

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed