Aliens vs. Predator Classic - Wont Load

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 03, 2015, 09:19:29 PM

Author
Aliens vs. Predator Classic - Wont Load (Read 2,671 times)

Corporal Hicks

So I've had Classic installed on my PC for ages with no issues. But now it wont load. It minimizes, with the icon on the taskbar no longer showing the Classic icon.

I've tried reinstalling but no joy.

Any ideas?  :-\

Olde

Specs? And have you upgraded your computer since last you played?

Corporal Hicks

I'll get the specs to you tonight - just at work atm.

The only thing that I can think of that has been updated was my graphics card driver.

Corporal Hicks

Here are the specs:

Processor   AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Manufacturer   AMD
Speed   3.4 GHz
Number of Cores   4
Video Card   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Manufacturer   NVIDIA
Chipset   GeForce GTX 570
Dedicated Memory   1.2 GB
Total Memory   4.0 GB
Memory   16 GB
Operating System   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack   1
Size   64 Bit
Edition   Home Premium
Display Maximum Resolution   1680 x 1050
DVD   hp DVD A DH16ABLH ATA Device
CD   hp DVD A DH16ABLH ATA Device
Drive   
Size   1.8 TB
Free   1.5 TB

Olde

Olde

Ah, I ran into somebody just a couple days ago who had a similar problem. It turned out the issue was with the graphics card driver, and seeing as you said yours was updated since last you played, I suspect you're getting a similar situation. Classic can be finnicky with certain drivers, and this fellow also had NVIDIA. I believe his problem got resolved when he reinstalled his graphics card.

If you have two or more graphics cards, try disabling your NVIDIA one and see if it will start when you use the other one.

Corporal Hicks

It was the issue, btw. Not very good for me in the long run though.

Corporal Hicks

So...yeah. Multiple driver updates since then and the game continues to minimize. Having issues with AvP2 too. I can't keep the drivers in a constant state of being rolled back. No more classical AvP for me.  :-\

Olde

Olde

Since you said you had AVP classic installed for ages, I assume that means you have the Steam version. Random idea, but did you ever consider getting the GOG version? It's only another five bucks wasted if it doesn't work, and you can post your problem on their board as there are a lot of tech savvy people there.

If you only care about single player, you can also reinstall AVP99 or Gold Edition from disc (if you still have it) and use this mod to get it working on your modern operating system.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2015, 01:11:22 AM
So...yeah. Multiple driver updates since then and the game continues to minimize. Having issues with AvP2 too. I can't keep the drivers in a constant state of being rolled back. No more classical AvP for me.  :-\
AvP Unknown Forum › General › Tech Support ›Topic: "New Nvidia drivers are glitching"
http://www.avpunknown.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1424297033
open you nvidia control pannel usually triple buffering its disabled (default)
start game whit this opzion disabled

alternative its possible force game in windowed mode.
1: Open your main Aliens vs. Predator 2 directory

2: Locate the file known as (autoexec.cfg)

add this command
"Windowed" "1"

Corporal Hicks

Thanks. I'll look into that tonight.  :)

Quote from: Olde on Apr 13, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
Since you said you had AVP classic installed for ages, I assume that means you have the Steam version. Random idea, but did you ever consider getting the GOG version? It's only another five bucks wasted if it doesn't work, and you can post your problem on their board as there are a lot of tech savvy people there.

If you only care about single player, you can also reinstall AVP99 or Gold Edition from disc (if you still have it) and use this mod to get it working on your modern operating system.

I hadn't considered it. But then I mainly want it to be able to play with my buddies on Steam so... :-\

Lucifero

Lucifero

if game work in full screen you can add avp2 on steam only by opzion called add a non game steam
game load widout problem from steam and you can play and use steam chat during game.

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Olde on Apr 13, 2015, 06:17:56 PM

I hadn't considered it. But then I mainly want it to be able to play with my buddies on Steam so... :-\

Oh, you can if you get the GOG version! Steam and GOG recently released a cross-play function that allows players from both clients to play with each other. It wasn't advertised on GOG's forums, but you can take a look at Rebellion's notification here. So that shouldn't discourage you from buying it. :D

As for the actual disc version, yeah you're kinda out of luck unless you can somehow figure out how to get it operational via LAN or Hamachi or something. I tried connecting to a friend of mine who also had it via the IP address but no dice. :(

Corporal Hicks

Cool. Will have to give it a go.

Lucifero

Lucifero

if you run game from steam os  or steam big picture (win 7)

chat work but its a bit instable some time crash expecially if you are in game (shift + tab)

for windows 8 user i suggest to load game normally whidout steam os in windowed mode for now.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Lucifero on Apr 14, 2015, 07:16:15 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2015, 01:11:22 AM
AvP Unknown Forum › General › Tech Support ›Topic: "New Nvidia drivers are glitching"
http://www.avpunknown.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1424297033
open you nvidia control pannel usually triple buffering its disabled (default)
start game whit this opzion disabled

This worked perfectly! Thank you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed