Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 14, 2012, 10:33:29 AM

Author
Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!) (Read 57,279 times)

predxeno

I don't see it as forcing them to sell the item for the wrong price, I see it just as living with the consequences of their own mistake.

SM

It's exactly the same thing.  If something was priced incorrectly, they aren't compelled to sell it at that price.

If a typo sees a new car priced at $2000 rather than $20000, you really think the dealer's going to honour that?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2012, 02:18:37 AM
It's exactly the same thing.  If something was priced incorrectly, they aren't compelled to sell it at that price.

If a typo sees a new car priced at $2000 rather than $20000, you really think the dealer's going to honour that?

Some places have to actually. I know at some stores, if an item is mismarked, they have to sell it as is. Of course, there's a difference between a few bucks at a store and $18000 at a car dealership, but its the same principle.

SM

Yeah a few bucks and they'll often wear it, but 17 quid for something that costs nearly 44 is stretching things.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2012, 01:37:55 AM
Unfair perhaps, but you can't force them to sell it at the wrong price.
I don't know if it depends on the country, but yeah, you can.

In Australia, for example; an item's put back on the wrong shelf where the price is different, then no, you don't get the cheaper price. It's a one-off mistake. Or if one item in a batch is incorrectly labelled, while all the others are at the right price. Manager's discretion. But if every price tag and label explicitly states that something costs "X" and it scans up as more, you get it for "X".

A car being mislabelled for 2k instead of 20k would fall under a one-off "whoops". Marketing the book at 17 rather than 44 quid falls under "We dun goofed, you guys hit paydirt."

SM

I remember not long ago a local airline (Jetstar I think) had some flights advertised online at a ludicrously low price, and I think they caught the mistake just before the tickets went on sale and corrected.  Lots of people predictably squealed like stuck pigs, howling that they should honour the original advertised price.  Airline said no.

predxeno

I think a lot of our opinions in this case depend on our sense of fairness; if an airplane sold tickets at a ludicrously low price that would have many raise an eyebrow, then yes it seems logical that the price should be retracted, but if the tickets were sold at a lower but more reasonable price for the airline (also, in the case of the Alien TIS signed) then I think more people would agree that the airline should honor the original price.

SM

Yeah, well as I said, it'd be nice if they offered a bit of a discount for those who had it on order at the lower price.

Seems like that's not going to happen though.

I just looked it up on Book Depository, and it costs a couple of dollars more (though they do have free delivery).

SiL

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2012, 04:43:29 AM
I remember not long ago a local airline (Jetstar I think) had some flights advertised online at a ludicrously low price, and I think they caught the mistake just before the tickets went on sale and corrected.
This book was available for pre-order; the tickets weren't available while they were advertised at the wrong price.

I guess it's different online, or overseas, or whatever. But if it happened here there'd be a hell of a good argument to take it up with the consumer watchdogs.

SM

Can't imagine you'd win though.

Do you get charged for pre-orders, or do they charge you once it's shipped?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2012, 07:10:11 AM
Can't imagine you'd win though.

Do you get charged for pre-orders, or do they charge you once it's shipped?
The latter, I think, so ...

I know where I work we've had situations where catalogues have gone out and we've had to issue retractions on incorrectly priced items, but generally the manager will allow the cheaper price if a customer contests it. If we'd made this blunder I know we'd be honouring the original price for anyone who said anything.

As much as I hate customers who needlessly bitch about price differences when the correction is clearly stated, there's no denying it's a tactic that works more often than not.

Hudson

QuoteAs much as I hate customers who needlessly bitch about price differences when the correction is clearly stated

So, you wouldn't complain?  :o

SiL

No, dude. I work retail. I pity the asshole across the counter. I'm not there to make his day worse.

Cvalda

Cvalda

My copy of the reprinted ALIEN: The Illustrated Story just came in. Flipped through it--colors are definitely a lot more vivid and the art is sharper than the original 1979 edition. Not all that sorry I parted with the first edition at all, this is a marked improvement. For those who feel all nostalgic for the original cover, though, Titan is releasing another version with the remastered art in a 'facsimile edition' with the original cover... in a few weeks.

Why they couldn't release all the different editions together at the same time--on the original release date--shall remain a mystery, I guess.

Hudson

Has it been confirmed that the new Technical Manual DOES or DOES NOT contain any new material or differences from the original edition? I haven't been paying attention.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed