Regarding controversial content, SPAIGHTS authorship and legitamacy of 'Harvest'

Started by Politikon, Feb 25, 2010, 04:26:12 AM

Author
Regarding controversial content, SPAIGHTS authorship and legitamacy of 'Harvest' (Read 23,935 times)

Politikon

A few of us had made the point that the Homosexual content in the script would be unlikely to be included in an ALIEN script.
I myself was stating this over on IMDB, but a mutual fan of the first film brought up a great point. That is, the mind-control rape thing in ALIEN HARVEST is far from unlikely in an R-RATED film and that it closely resembles the scenes in DELIVERANCE and even PULP FICTION.

He makes a good point!!! I hadn't considered this. The way the homosexual attack is created and the way their relationship is depicted is pretty much warped in ways that Hollywood doesn't really shy from.

I guess all this name calling (ie: 'BROKEBACK ALIEN') had slighted my consideration.

Something that's been eating at me as well is, that when I read the script I feel it captures the mood and the world created in ALIEN better than any of the sequels. Even if the story is much more fantasy-driven. I feel like I can't understand why others don't get that from it and let me just re-iterate that Im not so die-hard about it being legit.

Another person mentioned that SPAIGHTS other scripts do not compare to the HARVEST script, especially in terms of style.

If anyone has links to SPAIGHTS other scripts, I would like to, and would be happy to compare and discuss.

I would really like to read other Spaights scripts and compare then to HARVEST... A good place to start might be formatting. The HARVEST script I have is not formatted in any way to indicate it is a final draft or even a worked upon draft. Rather, it's format would seem to be a pitch script, with some noticeable editing done within. Maybe leaked or cracked by someone close to whoever was doing a run-through edit with SPAIGHTS?

This is something to keep in mind when comparing scripts, that at different stages of the game scripts are re-written, quite a few times to include different cues and other info. That's not even to start on re-WRITES. These changes can be made in any order, at any time in the game, including shooting days, and even AFTER scenes are finished. Even after the film is finished. Back when, I myself have had to rush scripts to actors in the middle of the night and wake them up with only three hours before the shoot starts, just so they could have the re-writes of material they are shooting in 3 hours...

I've been trying to get this out there to the people who hate the HARVEST script but some seem to not understand and take offense. Without being abrasive it's like blaming the messenger. I'm only stating the way things work on set and when working on a production.

However, the lack of detail in the text and the cut-to-the-chase formatting wreaks of professional work. Did anyone else notice that?

SiL

Quote from: Politikon on Feb 25, 2010, 04:26:12 AM
it closely resembles the scenes in DELIVERANCE and even PULP FICTION.
How? :-\

In Deliverance it's the turning point of the story. It's a horrifying, dramatic moment that spurns the characters on through the rest of the tale and presents the central conflicts of the entire picture.

In Pulp Fiction we don't really see much, if anything, and again is shown as a pretty horrific moment.

A gay-rape scene right in the first half hour of an Alien movie is, contextually, wholly different to either movies.

samH3LL

samH3LL

Here are Spaihts other two scripts. Shadow 19 and Passengers. Both of these scripts were on the Black List, a list of all the best scrpits each year as chosen by executives and filmmakers in hollywood that have not been made into movies yet.

In my opinion Shadow 19 is the greatest sci fi movie never made. Its utterly amazing. I can not stress enough how great it is. As i said before Shadow 19 and Passenger are the scripts that got him a chance to pitch the alien prequel to Scott Free and the studio, and his pitch is what convinced Ridley to direct the prequel.

Passengers is a story of a man whos cryotube wakes him up 30 years into a 120 year space flight, 90 years to early. And with no way to go back to sleep he is doomed to die on the ship of old age. Keanu Reeves bought Shadow 19 and he then had Spaihts write passenger specifically for him to star in. Passengers is in Preproduction at the moment.

Download Shadow 19 PDF @ PDFCast.org

Download Passengers PDF @ PDFCast.org

Edit : After you read these scripts there will be no doubt in your mind that Alien Harvest is indeed written by Spaihts

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: samH3LL on Feb 27, 2010, 12:20:47 AM
Here are Spaihts other two scripts. Shadow 19 and Passengers. Both of these scripts were on the Black List, a list of all the best scrpits each year as chosen by executives and filmmakers in hollywood that have not been made into movies yet.

In my opinion Shadow 19 is the greatest sci fi movie never made. Its utterly amazing. I can not stress enough how great it is. As i said before Shadow 19 and Passenger are the scripts that got him a chance to pitch the alien prequel to Scott Free and the studio, and his pitch is what convinced Ridley to direct the prequel.

Passengers is a story of a man whos cryotube wakes him up 30 years into a 120 year space flight, 90 years to early. And with no way to go back to sleep is doomed to die on the ship of old age. Keanu Reeves bought Shadow 19 and he then had Spaihts write passenger specifically for him to star in. Passengers is in Preproduction at the moment.

Download Shadow 19 PDF @ PDFCast.org

Download Passengers PDF @ PDFCast.org

Edit : After you read these scripts there will be no doubt in your mind that Alien Harvest is indeed written by Spaihts

What specifically? Can you quote what made you think that?

samH3LL

samH3LL

There are recurring descriptions is all three scripts. Just how he describes things in his words. Its also the flow or rhythm  and his writing style. You could go through and quote them if you wanted to.

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: samH3LL on Feb 27, 2010, 12:38:32 AM
There are recurring descriptions is all three scripts. Just how he describes things in his words. You could go through and quote them if you wanted to.

I am not gonna do that. But if you say that there are similarities, I'll take your word. Even so, I do not think that that alone is good enough prove to say definitely this IS Jon Spaihts work. I have written some stories on my free time and in some I tend to overly describe things using big and unusual words very often. Does that mean I am the only person that does that? No. In others I tend to avoid describing everything at much as posible. Am I the only one that does that? No.

MadassAlex

One inconsistency is thus:

The Shadow 19 script was fun to read and had me gripped from early on.

The Alien: Harvest script was tedious and had no real direction, just meandering between plot points.

samH3LL

samH3LL

If thats how you feel about harvest then you would hate passengers also. Im not gonna try to convince anyone harvest is real. If you cant see it then thats fine.

@samH3LL

Perhaps you could shed some light as to how you came across the Harvest script in the first place? Every discussion on the net concerning this script all stems back to your thread on this forum dated 17th January.

How exactly did you find it?

Federick Gonsa

Quote from: samH3LL on Feb 27, 2010, 12:59:03 AM
If thats how you feel about harvest then you would hate passengers also.

So first you say both scripts are similar to Harvest, and then in response to someone else's post you say that only Passengers is similar to harvest?

Highland

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 27, 2010, 12:57:47 AM
One inconsistency is thus:

The Shadow 19 script was fun to read and had me gripped from early on.

The Alien: Harvest script was tedious and had no real direction, just meandering between plot points.

Probably because the plot is already set for the prequel in most regards, Spaights just has to fill in the gaps as opposed to a fresh piece of work.

My gut feeling is the basic plot might be close to the real deal. In saying that, anyone with a shred of writing skill and imagination can fill in the gaps for the prequel and make it sound legit.

samH3LL

samH3LL

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 27, 2010, 04:11:35 AM

Quote from: samH3LL on Feb 27, 2010, 12:59:03 AM
If thats how you feel about harvest then you would hate passengers also.

So first you say both scripts are similar to Harvest, and then in response to someone else's post you say that only Passengers is similar to harvest?

I didnt say only Passengers was similar. I was making a point that harvest and passengers arent action oriented as where shadow 19 has alot of action. If MadassAlex really thinks Harvest was "tedious and had no real direction, just meandering between plot points" then he will most likely feel the same about passengers.   

Its just my opinion that these three scripts are written by the same person. After I read Shadow 19 and passengers I thought it was pretty obvious.

Instead of picking apart my posts just read the scripts yourself. You dont have to take my word on it. I posted the scripts above, so you can make up your own mind. Set 2 hours aside this weekend and read them, they are both good regardless (Shadow 19 is a must read!).

Quote from: 180924609 on Feb 27, 2010, 01:32:07 AM
@samH3LL

Perhaps you could shed some light as to how you came across the Harvest script in the first place? Every discussion on the net concerning this script all stems back to your thread on this forum dated 17th January.

How exactly did you find it?

Google :P. It was the first "Spaihts" script I had read so I came here to see if anyone knew anything about it.

I present evidence that the Alien Harvest script is NOT by Jon Spaihts:

METADATA EVIDENCE AGAINST:
From the PDF document metadata (obtained by opening the PDF, then File->Properties...)

'Shadow 19' and 'Passengers' metadata contains:
- A reference to an .fdr file which is a file extension relating to Final Draft - the industry standard script authoring tool costing $250.
- PDF file was created using a Amyuni Document Converter - a professional PDF creator package costing over $600.

'Alien Harvest' metadata contains:
- no references to .fdr files
- PDF file created using OpenOffice - a free shareware web download.
- The PDF creation tool has surreptitiously embedded the name of the user who installed OpenOffice: 'David Bryan'.

>> Why would an aspiring hollywood writer downgrade his professional tools and start using freeware? And who is David Bryan?

EMAIL ADDRESS EVIDENCE AGAINST:
The 'Shadow 19' script has an email contact to (presumambly) his own bought and paid for domain: jon@spaihts.com.

The 'Alien Harvest' script has a cryptic address at a google webmail address (that anybody could make up): darksp8s@gmail.com

>> Why would an aspiring hollywood writer ditch his own domain account and start using a webmail account?

CONTENT LAYOUT STYLE EVIDENCE AGAINST:
The 'Shadow 19' and 'Passengers' scripts both have a DOUBLE line space before every new scene.

The 'Alien Harvest' script only has a SINGLE line space before new scenes.

>> Why would Spaihts suddenly change his layout style for Alien Harvest?

FALSE 'CEASE AND DESIST' DOCUMENT EVIDENCE AGAINST:
At the original source of the script, the user 'JSmith535' at scribd.com, the script has been removed and in its place is a snippet from a document claiming to be a 'cease and desist order'.
The content of this document refers to a legal team called 'Keats, MacNeill & Willson LLP', which does not exist according to Google. However, according to Google, there IS a legal IP firm in beverly hills called 'Keats, McFarland & Wilson LLP'

>> Looks like an hoax legal doc to make the removed script appear to be legit.

** All of this evidence suggsts to me that someone has staged an elaborate hoax.

samH3LL

Thats alot of work to put into a hoax that would'nt amount to much more then some fanboys arguing on a forum. :P

Highland

Quote from: 180924609 on Feb 27, 2010, 01:21:05 PM
I present evidence that the Alien Harvest script is NOT by Jon Spaihts:

METADATA EVIDENCE AGAINST:
From the PDF document metadata (obtained by opening the PDF, then File->Properties...)

'Shadow 19' and 'Passengers' metadata contains:
- A reference to an .fdr file which is a file extension relating to Final Draft - the industry standard script authoring tool costing $250.
- PDF file was created using a Amyuni Document Converter - a professional PDF creator package costing over $600.

'Alien Harvest' metadata contains:
- no references to .fdr files
- PDF file created using OpenOffice - a free shareware web download.
- The PDF creation tool has surreptitiously embedded the name of the user who installed OpenOffice: 'David Bryan'.

>> Why would an aspiring hollywood writer downgrade his professional tools and start using freeware? And who is David Bryan?

EMAIL ADDRESS EVIDENCE AGAINST:
The 'Shadow 19' script has an email contact to (presumambly) his own bought and paid for domain: jon@spaihts.com.

The 'Alien Harvest' script has a cryptic address at a google webmail address (that anybody could make up): darksp8s@gmail.com

>> Why would an aspiring hollywood writer ditch his own domain account and start using a webmail account?

CONTENT LAYOUT STYLE EVIDENCE AGAINST:
The 'Shadow 19' and 'Passengers' scripts both have a DOUBLE line space before every new scene.

The 'Alien Harvest' script only has a SINGLE line space before new scenes.

>> Why would Spaihts suddenly change his layout style for Alien Harvest?

FALSE 'CEASE AND DESIST' DOCUMENT EVIDENCE AGAINST:
At the original source of the script, the user 'JSmith535' at scribd.com, the script has been removed and in its place is a snippet from a document claiming to be a 'cease and desist order'.
The content of this document refers to a legal team called 'Keats, MacNeill & Willson LLP', which does not exist according to Google. However, according to Google, there IS a legal IP firm in beverly hills called 'Keats, McFarland & Wilson LLP'

>> Looks like an hoax legal doc to make the removed script appear to be legit.

** All of this evidence suggsts to me that someone has staged an elaborate hoax.

Nice work, can't argue with any of those points. Looks like it was Jimmy Spates in the kitchen with the candle stick! ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed