Super predators?

Started by (Bad Blood), Jan 10, 2024, 08:23:42 AM

Author
Super predators? (Read 1,631 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I am curious why fans or anyone calls them Super Predators? I have always wondered. They aren't super, they are not any better, bigger, stronger, faster or better fighters then the standard predator. I always watched the movie and thought Robert Rodriguez was laying out that they were bad bloods fairly clearly, even referencing a blood feud in the film.
   He understood i am certain that most casual viewers would not understand the bad blood reference nor could a character in the film say that term in any natural way. So if I'm wrong do indeed tell me, I just assumed they were bad bloods and not "super" predators all this time. Basically "super predator" just sounds a little misplaced as a name for these particular predators.

SiL

SiL

There was a reference to them as that early on, I think before the film came out, and it stuck.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2024, 11:58:26 AMThere was a reference to them as that early on, I think before the film came out, and it stuck.
Ah I see, it makes sense. So as a prominent member of this community, what is your opinion? Do you think these predators are bad bloods or some subspecies?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jan 10, 2024, 12:55:06 PMAh I see, it makes sense. So as a prominent member of this community, what is your opinion? Do you think these predators are bad bloods or some subspecies?

I'm not Sil but I don't think he would mind if I answered for him in regards to this question.

If we go by the Word of God trope, according to interviews from Rodriguez and Antal, the Super Predators ARE in fact, Bad Bloods. Rodriguez and Antal have said that these Predators are outcasts and they've been sent to the planet as a means of punishment by Predator society.

However.... the movie and expanded universe material seems to... not necessarily adhere to that.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Is "Super Predator" ever said in the movie?
I consider them to be another subspecies (just look at the face), who happen to be at war with the "traditional Yautja". So the traditional Yautja might consider them to be Bad Bloods, but the "Super Predators" don't much care about it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jan 10, 2024, 12:55:06 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2024, 11:58:26 AMThere was a reference to them as that early on, I think before the film came out, and it stuck.
Ah I see, it makes sense. So as a prominent member of this community, what is your opinion? Do you think these predators are bad bloods or some subspecies?
Subspecies is what the film says. Compares them as wolves to dogs.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 13, 2024, 10:46:18 AMIs "Super Predator" ever said in the movie?
I consider them to be another subspecies (just look at the face), who happen to be at war with the "traditional Yautja". So the traditional Yautja might consider them to be Bad Bloods, but the "Super Predators" don't much care about it.

No, I think the differences that were pointed were just said by Noland I think? Said difference being akin to wolf and dogs or something.

The only fight we see between the Predators is Berserker fighting a weakened and wounded Jungle Hunter type Predator. So not a fair comparison in that scene.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I do enjoy Predators, but the "Bigger and Badder" Predator angle really started to go out of hand from here.
But to be fair, it already somewhat started in the first AvP.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 13, 2024, 11:00:05 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 13, 2024, 10:46:18 AMIs "Super Predator" ever said in the movie?

No, I think the differences that were pointed were just said by Noland I think? Said difference being akin to wolf and dogs or something.

The only fight we see between the Predators is Berserker fighting a weakened and wounded Jungle Hunter type Predator. So not a fair comparison in that scene.

What it debatable now is that due to a main stream wounded JH Predator managing to hold their own against a Super Predator, does that mean the JH Predator is that skilled and determined OR the Super Predator is just that incompetent and thus foils the concept of a Super Predator.

Its this why I prefer the combat of one of the past scripts where the JH Predator's combat strategy is to fight Berserker long range due to knowing that it would be dominated up-close, which would have shown a much better understanding of proper character establishment AND a very interesting inverse of how humans fight Predators to now a Predator mimicking the same strats to fight a superior foe.

Of course I'll always remember about what Corporal Hicks said, something like "It's not really a Super Predator if it requires a job of 3 that one manages to do just fine in the past two films." They really didn't do much on presenting how the Predators are Super compared to main stream other than looking different. 

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

The "super" predator resorted to using his plasma caster too.
And I can't remember the details for since it has been awhile, but it was a three vs one fight that got the JH predator captured in first place. It is shown in the prequel comic to Predators.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 18, 2024, 06:39:56 PMThe "super" predator resorted to using his plasma caster too.
And I can't remember the details for since it has been awhile, but it was a three vs one fight that got the JH predator captured in first place. It is shown in the prequel comic to Predators.
And it misses from a few yards away. Advanced targeting system my ass. Least in Prey they can convey dodging projectiles better via Taabe dodging bolt arrows. I know why they resorted to the theatrical cut of the fight as the mindset is no one wants to see smart and tension filled fights, just unga bonga big meatheads throwing a fistcuffs at each other. Could have had both but whatever.

And that lil motion comic was a fun thing to have. Loved that they went out of their way to make a interesting story though a fun medium. Just a shame they couldn't use that opportunity to show why they have this blood feud and how the mainstream Pred got there in the first place.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

There is no Super Predator. It was a concept for an earlier version of the film that never materialized in the finished product. There's just a single line that makes it into the film comparing the two different types to Wolfs and dogs, and it's delivered from a character who is demonstrated to be quite insane and untrustworthy. They're nothing more than a different clan with different rules of conduct and hunting methods.  I just refer to them as Berserker Predators.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2024, 09:07:05 AMThey're nothing more than a different clan with different rules of conduct and hunting methods.  I just refer to them as Berserker Predators.

Came here to post this.

SiL

SiL

And distinctly different appearance.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The Lost Predators also had a very distinct differences with Jungle Hunter. But acknowledging that Predators has some bigger differences in terms of facial structure and (I think) feet, that can as easily be explained away by them being other other species of Predator without them having to be the originally envisioned genetically engineered "Super Predators". Which given the big ass radical changes in design we saw in Prey too, seems to be the way to head-canon these things now.

Only The Predator has actual genetic tinkering brought up in the narrative.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed