Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 359,829 times)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Both Alien and Aliens were given a notable teal boost by Lowry Digital. Same applies to the recent remastered Terminator Blu-ray.

Not sure if I'm sold on it, but Scott and Cameron both seem to give the process a thumbs up.

Gash

Gash

Shame, I really dislike the trend. Peoples faces bathed in unconvincing yellow light and everything that should be black/grey, instead blue or green.

SM

SM

I loved the Alien blu-ray.  Like watching a new film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Feb 10, 2013, 10:18:40 PM
I loved the Alien blu-ray.  Like watching a new film.

This. Can't say I'd really given BR much thought but after watching Alien...I saw how amazing BR could look.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Alien 3 on BR looked really good as well. The remastering was handled very carefully.

Gash

Gash

It'll always be a very good looking film ( A L I E N ) because of the 35mm and the quality of the cinematography - and the bluray obviously showcases elements of that to the best of any release so far... but I'd rather the teal and orange hadn't been boosted as it rather defeats the purpose of a definitive HD version. I don't believe that picture restoration should be lumbered with faddish trends. I noticed it most in Brett's demise sequence where the subtlety of colour I've always associated with the lighting in ALIEN is conspicuous in it's absence; but on looking again it's also very obvious in the Jockey chamber where the mist seems to have been almost obliterated by deepening the shadows and the spacesuit colours are extremely vibrant, the egg chamber is now so excessively blue that the layer of laser light is hardly a contrast at all (even the white Nottingham Lace in the egg is now blue); some scenes on the bridge of the Nostromo are also over saturated in blue/green; and the cocoon scene is so pushed into yellow that it is now almost looks just flatly and badly colourised.

I know 'teal and orange' is done to appeal, the opposites of the colour wheel and all that (and I know there is a campaign against it, there's a blog somewhere online highlighting the worst offenders) but it cheapens A L I E N, in places it's now as blue as Aliens. There was always a distinct difference in the colour palettes of both films so this colour 'correction' to a classic looks like hideous revisionism to me.

Not quite as bad as colourising Citizen Kane, but not far off.

Jonesy23

Jonesy23

I also enjoyed 'Alien 3' on BD. I honestly had my doubts because of the color palete, much like with Fincher's 'Se7en' but I was sorely mistaken on both films. The palette now enhances the film further with its sharp blacks and smooth texture while still retaining that film quality.

I thought surprisingly that the original still looked the best on the format. 'Aliens' was a close second, but the film is a little too dark in some scenes. 'Alien Resurrection' appropriately as the weakest sequel looks very muddy and worn (although they did supposedly run the film through oil for this effect so it may be intentional)

SM

SM

Resurrection got shafted on Blu-Ray.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

It didn't get the Lowry treatment, but it still looked great. I liked how unmanipulated the transfer was (lots of grain and no DNR or edge enhancement). I'm willing to bet the disc is a pretty faithful representation of Res's original cinematic appearance. 

SM

SM

If you watch Alien, then watch Resurrection and compare the picture quality, it's fairly horrid.  As I've said - probably a number of times in this very thread - for all its faults Resurrection looked good, and this blu-ray let it down.  JPJ was justified in his annoyance.

Aliens_Diner86

Aliens_Diner86

Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2013, 10:16:10 PM
Resurrection got shafted on Blu-Ray.

Yes it did  :( Aside from the lesser HD quality on A3 and Ares the set is damn near Perfect. Best and most Complete set I ever owned  :laugh:

Aliens looked amazing  :o

Greyback

Greyback

Hi, does someone have hi-res textless versions (and without the disc hole) of the Alien Anthology artworks?

Something like this for all four films:

http://www.cineaddict.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Coffret-US-Alien-Anthology-7.jpg

Greyback

Greyback

Quote from: MrBrokenTusks. on Aug 02, 2010, 06:09:50 PM
Hey you know that desktop thing? The only reason I am sure most of you use/used it was because of the backgrounds right? Well I have made that unnecessary. I edited them to make them suitable for desktops ;)

Thanks to mikey for telling me how to do it. Some of them do look a bit off because of lots of colours. So sorry.
And I plan to re-edit the ones were I coincidently left on the October 26 bit.

Hi can someone help me, I search the rest of these Alien Anthology artworks?

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Forgive the resurrection of the thread. But I didn't think it warrented it's own thread. I just discovered this and saw it was discussed her.

So Lambert is or was a transexual? Apparently this info is posted in plain sight in Aliens during the beginning of the film. Yet supplementary material from the Anthology lists her as a female, apparently 'natural" is thrown in there too? So not to bring up.a canon debate, but which bit of info does the fandom co spider to be accurate?  Aliens? Or the Anthology?

Another thing I wonder is...why make her a transexual? Aliens was 7 years after Alien, so why bother changing such info on a character?

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

If she was a transexual it was done when she was still an fetus in her mother's womb, as per her parent's preference for a daughter, I suppose.  I don't think it matters at all, except to establish more of the technology available in the world of ALIEN.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed