Prometheus TV Spots (TV Spot #3 Added)

Started by Shasvre, Mar 19, 2012, 06:36:54 PM

Author
Prometheus TV Spots (TV Spot #3 Added) (Read 81,200 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

[off-topic]Love the new avatar/signature set, Cvalda[off-topic]

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Mar 23, 2012, 11:33:21 PM
[off-topic]Had to step up mah game to compete wit dat set o' yours.[/off-topic]

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 23, 2012, 11:26:43 PM
Thankyou for your pic OpenMaw. At least I appreciate what you've tried to do to get through to some very awkward posters on here.

But shall I tell you why I think there are 3 engineers? Because of the FRAMING OF THE SHOT.

If it was 2 + David, the pic would be cropped so David would be closer to (our) right frame edge. You wouldn't have a shot with action happening on one side, David in the middle and nothing on the other. It's all about BALANCE in the shot! Basic camera law.

ALSO, 4 SARCOPHAGI - my logic is, 3 Engineers awaken from these, the 4th sarcophagus is reserved possibly for David in his new role?

While I certainly appreciate the complement, I don't think anyone here is being particularly more thick headed than anyone else is. We all have our theories and many of us want to be right. That can often get in the way of the truth.

Not necessarily. By that logic the pullback in Alien to reveal the Jockey in the chair should have been centered to the left and not have the major set piece center frame at the end of the shot.

Or, more to the point, the shot is framing the set as well as the action. That "guy" on the right has no body. Which inhibits his ability to exist. No, I think that's absolutely Earth with her moon in tow. :) Let's also keep in mind that every time we've seen a shot of the Orrey in a wide angle it's been from a similar framing. It's just the way they chose to frame the set itself to give the best sense of scale.

There is absolutely no evidence to support the idea that David is ever turned into a Jockey, or turns evil, or used by The Jockeys. None, anywhere.

Also ,the only "evidence" we've ever had for even two Jockey's was the IMDB credits listing an "Engineer" and an "Elder Engineer." That's IMDB though, it could just as easily say "Troll Face" and "Sad Panda."

MR EL1M1NATOR

MR EL1M1NATOR

Love the voice over on tv spot 2.

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 23, 2012, 11:31:14 PM
Because of the FRAMING OF THE SHOT.

I think the purpose of the shot is to show the scale of the orrery in comparison to the room.

But surely you'd take the shot from behind the first jockey with David central. You wouldn't leave the imbalance of 2 jocks, David and a whole load of nothing behind him.

What the heck, it's only speculation. I'm just looking forward to the movie.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 23, 2012, 11:35:08 PM
Thankyou for your pic OpenMaw. At least I appreciate what you've tried to do to get through to some very awkward posters on here.

But shall I tell you why I think there are 3 engineers? Because of the FRAMING OF THE SHOT.

If it was 2 + David, the pic would be cropped so David would be closer to (our) right frame edge. You wouldn't have a shot with action happening on one side, David in the middle and nothing on the other. It's all about BALANCE in the shot! Basic camera law.

ALSO, 4 SARCOPHAGI - my logic is, 3 Engineers awaken from these, the 4th sarcophagus is reserved possibly for David in his new role?

Also ,the only "evidence" we've ever had for even two Jockey's was the IMDB credits listing an "Engineer" and an "Elder Engineer."

Unless the 3rd Engineer is a mutated crew member?  :laugh:

Bald characters causing havok again as they did in Alien 3  ::)

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 23, 2012, 11:40:39 PM
But surely you'd take the shot from behind the first jockey with David central. You wouldn't leave the imbalance of 2 jocks, David and a whole load of nothing behind him.

What the heck, it's only speculation. I'm just looking forward to the movie.

That's assuming there's even two though. David's standing in the middle of the room, and from the previous shots from the other trailers, it shows him in 'awe' from the orrery. I think the purpose of the shot that Ridley has set up here, is to show the grand scale of it – why David is in awe from it. Then, we'll get much closer and tighter shots, once the Jockey comes within reach of David.

necronom666

necronom666

new ship at 21 secs?? early version of the drop ship maybe??

Eva

Eva

Well, that's a subjective observation in the end. There's no 'imbalance' in that wide shot to me. Cinematography can't be reduced to making sure you frame the action and disregard the space around the action.

An example: Action classic Die Hard just finished in the tv and it has several shots/image compositions with a character positioned at the far left or right of the image - and nothing but space. Watching Bruce Willis standing all alone with all that empty office space around him, just enhances the sense of isolation his character must feel - a composition that would be entirely lost in a (dreadful) cropped 4:3 version.

Just my $0.02 you know...  :)

PS: I still only see 1 engineer but I'll grant that the speculated engineer in the middle looks somewhat plausable (because of what could be interpreted as motion), if it isn't a reflection of some sort. The 'engineer' to the right looks like part of the map to me. Imo the scene would have the greatest impact if there's only 1, but that doesn't say much about what is actually going on...

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 23, 2012, 11:06:27 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 23, 2012, 11:03:04 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 23, 2012, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Mar 23, 2012, 10:55:41 PM
Quote from: zvezdan on Mar 23, 2012, 10:39:56 PM
OK, this is my first trial at making GIFs out of movies:
http://i39.tinypic.com/34orgyg.gif
(any criticism?)

I see clearly 2 "blue guys": the left and in the middle between the left one and david. Not sure what is that on the right though... Might be a 3rd guy...

Hmm. There very well might be two if we're to assume they're Fitfield & Holloway.

There's clearly 3 AND David - do I have to magnify an even bigger version?

There's clearly 3 that you want to see, sir. They're not Jockeys. They're planets.

LOOK AT ZVEZDAN's GIF!!! Left Engineer is moving to the right, Centre ENGINEER is moving out of the shadows. The 3rd on the right could be planet - but to me looks like his left arm is aloft! It's very clear.

Second tall guy looks like a reflection cast on the hologram.

The room is too bright for something to appear from shadows.

red_otter

red_otter

Quote from: Eva on Mar 24, 2012, 12:00:09 AM
Action classic Die Hard just finished in the tv and it has several shots/image compositions with a character positioned at the far left or right of the image - and nothing but space.

Plus the first thing you learn about framing shots at film school is the rule of thirds - it's not necessarily better just to whack the subject centre frame.

With respect to everyone posting so far, I have to agree with Eva here - there's any number of reasons to frame the shot that don't involve multiple Jockeys.

Also, am I the only one who'll still be kinda disappointed if Jockeys = big people? I'm still hoping this is another race, and the Jockeys are a perhaps long-dead species who were much larger and much stranger. The best chance for that theory yet is the shot in the full trailer with the two people coming down the SJ corridor, where you can glimpse - IMO - fairly clearly large dead Jockey bodies in the foreground, most obviously the giant arms.

NGR01

NGR01

Quote from: necronom666 on Mar 23, 2012, 11:55:41 PM
new ship at 21 secs?? early version of the drop ship maybe??

It's the lifepod Vickers uses to escape when the Prometheus is on colision course with the engineer's ship...

Wow, the multiple temples, the pillars made out of urns, the engineers appearing when David uses the orrery...
BTW they are way more big than what the ships corridors implied...
I'm kinda lost now ^^

Gazz

Gazz

It could be that these engineers are rendered through the hologram, like we see the running figure appear in blue particles in the IMAX trailer. An artificial version of them rather than a physical presence.

eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Quote from: Eva on Mar 24, 2012, 12:00:09 AM

Well, that's a subjective observation in the end. There's no 'imbalance' in that wide shot to me. Cinematography can't be reduced to making sure you frame the action and disregard the space around the action.

An example: Action classic Die Hard just finished in the tv and it has several shots/image compositions with a character positioned at the far left or right of the image - and nothing but space. Watching Bruce Willis standing all alone with all that empty office space around him, just enhances the sense of isolation his character must feel - a composition that would be entirely lost in a (dreadful) cropped 4:3 version.

Just my $0.02 you know...  :)

PS: I still only see 1 engineer but I'll grant that the speculated engineer in the middle looks somewhat plausable (because of what could be interpreted as motion), if it isn't a reflection of some sort. The 'engineer' to the right looks like part of the map to me. Imo the scene would have the greatest impact if there's only 1, but that doesn't say much about what is actually going on...

I think I love you. :)

szkoki

szkoki

"If you are going to down there you going to die"

Vickers

Vickers

So are those definitely our space jockeys then or is it possible that we still haven't seen the real jockeys?  Maybe I shouldn't doubt Ridley but I just don't like the idea of them looking too human-like.  It kills the mystery of the space jockey for me.  Still, the giant dudes do seem really creepy.  Please don't be jockeys, please don't be jockeys...

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Mar 23, 2012, 11:33:21 PM

Agreed.  Looking awesome! 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed