Doom (2016) (Doom 4)

Started by Ratchetcomand, May 09, 2008, 12:07:44 PM

Author
Doom (2016) (Doom 4) (Read 89,794 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Yeah, that's Fallout 4. It says nothing about Doom.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Yeah, thats why I rofled so hard  :laugh: But still, Bethesda will force some limits to the mods, imo.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Vertigo...I BEAT YOUR MOD!!!! Twas good fun, even if it was considerably aggravating at times. What did you do to the Soul Cube? That thing definitely required more than five kills before use.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Well done! One extremely nerdy tweak you may have missed at the end, I trimmed the (higher-quality) D3 theme so it fit the length of the credits sequence, whereas normally it gets cut off mid-BLRRRRRRRRRRblrblrBLRRRRRRRRRRR.

So, yup, Soul Cube. In the standard game, by the time you start regularly fighting Hellknights and Archviles, they're rendered pesky annoyances because the late-game weapons are so insanely powerful. Both the BFG and Soul Cube are heavily nerfed now - the BFG takes longer to charge and does less damage (but more splash IIRC, intention's to balance out the heavy-hitting nerf by making the weapon more versatile), the Soul Cube requires double the kills to activate and won't instagib anything bigger than an Imp (meaning the Cube's now used more as an emergency healing device than as an all-conquering ultracannon). The hope is that the player's now relying more on the combat techniques they've developed throughout the game to take on the nastiest demons, rather than dealing with them just as quickly as you would a Revenant.

You may also have noticed that the Imps and Maggots in the last level take a lot more punishment than usual - makes it harder to concentrate on dodging the Cyberdemon's attacks, so combined with the Soul Cube nerf, should hopefully make the final boss more exciting.

Anyway, Resurrection of Evil is modded too if you haven't had enough yet... Changes should be immediately noticeable, with the new music and footsteps based on the leaked D3 alpha.
It's not really as good as Doom 3 though in my opinion, pacing and enemy variety is weird, and I don't like the intended reliance on the Artifact's cheaty powers and the Grabber. Detracts from the shooting dynamic as far as I'm concerned.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Aug 02, 2015, 05:23:56 PM
Well done! One extremely nerdy tweak you may have missed at the end, I trimmed the (higher-quality) D3 theme so it fit the length of the credits sequence, whereas normally it gets cut off mid-BLRRRRRRRRRRblrblrBLRRRRRRRRRRR.

Mm, I skipped the credits. I usually do.

So, yup, Soul Cube. In the standard game, by the time you start regularly fighting Hellknights and Archviles, they're rendered pesky annoyances because the late-game weapons are so insanely powerful. Both the BFG and Soul Cube are heavily nerfed now - the BFG takes longer to charge and does less damage (but more splash IIRC, intention's to balance out the heavy-hitting nerf by making the weapon more versatile), the Soul Cube requires double the kills to activate and won't instagib anything bigger than an Imp (meaning the Cube's now used more as an emergency healing device than as an all-conquering ultracannon). The hope is that the player's now relying more on the combat techniques they've developed throughout the game to take on the nastiest demons, rather than dealing with them just as quickly as you would a Revenant.

I figured as much. Being trapped in a small room with two Hell Knights wasn't fun and not having the Soul Cube take one out entirely wasn't much fun but it didn't annoy me too much. The beauty about Doom 3 is being able to save ANYWHERE I want in-game which is a feature FPS devs seems to really hate nowadays. If I died as a result of being cornered, then I simply loaded my game and did something different. As for the Revenant, motherf**ker wasn't a cake walk. Those rockets hurt and so did his right hook. Going in and out for chainsaw cuts wasn't as simple as it was with smaller enemies like the Imp or...Scythe Hand Demon, whatever that one's called.

You may also have noticed that the Imps and Maggots in the last level take a lot more punishment than usual - makes it harder to concentrate on dodging the Cyberdemon's attacks, so combined with the Soul Cube nerf, should hopefully make the final boss more exciting.

OK, so that wasn't my imagination then. All I can say is, thank the demon gods for infinite stamina in Hell. Had I not been able to run constantly, that sequence would have caused me to rip my hair out.

Anyway, Resurrection of Evil is modded too if you haven't had enough yet... Changes should be immediately noticeable, with the new music and footsteps based on the leaked D3 alpha.
It's not really as good as Doom 3 though in my opinion, pacing and enemy variety is weird, and I don't like the intended reliance on the Artifact's cheaty powers and the Grabber. Detracts from the shooting dynamic as far as I'm concerned.

Taking a break for now and playing Half-Life 2 instead. I don't imagine you have a killer mod for that one, do you?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Nah.. I think HL2 had at least as many problems as D3 had, but they're generally things it'd be hard to change.

I settled for fiddling with the ammo caps and pickup amounts, because I have a pathological hatred of arbitrary carry capacities (probably comes from AvP2k being my first fully 3D FPS), but the level design is so hand-holdy that I wouldn't recommend the tweak to anyone that lacks my aversion.

WinterActual

WinterActual

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-will-not-get-mod-support-in-addition-to-snapmap/ thank you consoles. but yeah it appears i was right about that ^^

Randomizer

Randomizer

Isn't Snapmap similar somewhat to DoomBuilder? From what I see it looks like that.
--------------------------

Also, the leak was part of this.
QuoteCall of DOOM died because "it didn't match the game we thought people wanted"
Spoiler

Live to fight another day. :laugh:

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Aug 03, 2015, 12:11:43 AM
Nah.. I think HL2 had at least as many problems as D3 had, but they're generally things it'd be hard to change.

Why do you say that?

Quote from: WinterActual on Aug 03, 2015, 06:19:13 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-will-not-get-mod-support-in-addition-to-snapmap/ thank you consoles. but yeah it appears i was right about that ^^

This is stupid. Why limit what can be added to your own product?

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 03, 2015, 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: WinterActual on Aug 03, 2015, 06:19:13 AM

This is stupid. Why limit what can be added to your own product?

Hard to sell DLC if the modding comunity can do it better and for free :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I suppose. I'm betting it was Bethesda's idea. I can't see id doing that to the community when really, they're the reason mods were created in the first place.

WinterActual

WinterActual

I don't think thats the case. The Creation Kit will be released a few months after the release of Fallout 4, and we all know that DLCs will follow. Bethesda also released the FULL development kit for RAGE.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

This Gamescom trailer does not really show any new footage, but it does give us a better look at some of the demons.

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/04/doom-gameplay-trailer-released/

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nicely put together trailer too - loved hearing that theme in there.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/doom/b/pc/archive/2015/07/23/doom-39-s-multiplayer-is-fast-as-hell-and-fun.aspx

QuoteI got my hands on Doom's multiplayer at this year's QuakeCon, and walked away mighty impressed by its speed of combat, weapon functionality and feel, map design, massive amounts of carnage that can unfold at any given second, and, well, all of it. Id Software's first showing of Doom's multiplayer is exactly what I wanted it to be: fast-paced, retro in design, and a meat grinder of immediate action.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed