Alien: Cult

Started by Chieftain Suom, Feb 08, 2024, 01:32:08 PM

Author
Alien: Cult (Read 1,692 times)

JDrums

Sarahlyn35

Sarahlyn35

The title alone has me excited... definitely in!

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The title is a little too dull for my liking but definitely excited to see the cult angle get a novel. It was an aspect of the old EU I always liked but was never really used that much IMHO. At least, not until recently with Dark Descent and the RPG. So eager to see more!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I never read it, but didn't ADF's Covenant prequel book have a cult angle to it?

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 12:35:41 PMI never read it, but didn't ADF's Covenant prequel book have a cult angle to it?

Right, "OTBD"!

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 12:35:41 PMI never read it, but didn't ADF's Covenant prequel book have a cult angle to it?

Yep, the Earth Savers. They've since cropped up in the RPG and are speculated to have spun off into the Children of the Two Divines.

Quote from: Chieftain Suom on Feb 09, 2024, 12:54:08 PMRight, "OTBD"!

Out There Be Demons.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I'd forgotten that. That was a big waste. They could have been really interesting, especially considering they weren't particularly wrong.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Covenant Origins was the first thing that popped into my mind as well.
Not a great book though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm half tempted to give that book a go, despite its bad reputation and the fact that I'm not huge on ADF, if only because it feels like one oc the handful of relics of the time when the prequel stuff was the core thrust of the franchise a handful of years back.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 02:38:22 PMI'm half tempted to give that book a go, despite its bad reputation and the fact that I'm not huge on ADF

I know a lot of people rave about ADF, but I'm not a massive fan of his writing either. His prose is a bit ponderous and reuses the same phrases over and over, but that's nothing next to his utterly atrocious dialogue.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Totally agree.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 09, 2024, 02:53:19 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 02:38:22 PMI'm half tempted to give that book a go, despite its bad reputation and the fact that I'm not huge on ADF

I know a lot of people rave about ADF, but I'm not a massive fan of his writing either. His prose is a bit ponderous and reuses the same phrases over and over, but that's nothing next to his utterly atrocious dialogue.
Is it fair to criticize him on dialogue when he's adapting someone else's script?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 09, 2024, 06:06:34 PMIs it fair to criticize him on dialogue when he's adapting someone else's script?

The absolutely ridiculous "cheese" exchange between Daniels and Tennessee in the Covenant novel wasn't in the original script. So, yeah.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

And the middling prose.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed