Elements from EU that made it into the films?

Started by XENOMORPHOSIS, Nov 23, 2023, 03:19:10 PM

Author
Elements from EU that made it into the films? (Read 3,184 times)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Somebody once shared a tier list that was upheld by Fox as to what is and isn't canonical and for Alien, Predator, alternate cuts, comics, novels video games, and how cross overs are considered else world or something to that affect, wonder what category the novels are considered, can I ask if certain things introduced in any of the books were made canonical in any of the films after? Not counting the Alan Dean Foster Novel tie ins.

SM

SM

Resurrection has elements from the early Dark Horse comics insofar as they were studying caged Aliens, which every second comic was about for a while.  However, there's really nothing in the film that can be directly drawn from any comic.

Films have always gone against the comics, so much so that it often seems deliberate.  From killing Ripley, Hicks and Newt, saying Ripley effectively wiped the Aliens out, right the way through to the direction in which a Jockey ship flies.

With Predator it's a little more obvious with the Alien skull in the second film referencing the comics. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2023, 10:09:55 PMFilms have always gone against the comics, so much so that it often seems deliberate.  From killing Ripley, Hicks and Newt, saying Ripley effectively wiped the Aliens out, right the way through to the direction in which a Jockey ship flies.

But the Big Deletion though.

SM

It was more a Small to Medium Deletion.

[cancerblack]

It was fr a mid deletion, no cap.

Wweyland

Is there a way to explain how the "Modern" EU in the late 2190ties and 2200-ties forgot the Earth invasion from 2189?

But about making it to the films, I guess Predator 2 was influenced by Predator: Concrete Jungle, and of course, AvP was similar to the first AvP comics.

Alien: Isolation was very influential, but mostly for other EU. But, some references might end up in Alien: Romulus.

SM

I can't conceive of any way to reconcile the current EU and an Earth invasion. Although it was being planned at one point with a bunch of invasion related stories (a la World War Z among other things). There would have been room for the United Systems to memory hole the entire thing and reduce it to conspiracy theory by the time of Resurrection.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah, it never happened.

Aliens The Original Series and William Gibson's Alien³ are alternate continuities to the films as far as I'm concerned.

They do not fit, no point in trying to make them fit, they exist in the context of Alien 1979 and Aliens 1986 as released before 1992 and nothing further.

Acid_Reign161

I feel that people remember things with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles sometimes... I re-read Aliens the Original Series recently (first time since loving it as a kid)... it's pretty damn terrible to be honest. 😅 It amuses me when still seeing people cite this as what we "should have had" over Alien 3...

BlueMarsalis79

It also... just ends, without a proper resolution, and the other alternate take released after the fact just ends up being confused and diluting the Alien.

I easily prefer what we got.

SiL

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Nov 23, 2023, 03:19:10 PMSomebody once shared a tier list that was upheld by Fox as to what is and isn't canonical and for Alien, Predator, alternate cuts, comics, novels video games, and how cross overs are considered else world or something to that affect, wonder what category the novels are considered, can I ask if certain things introduced in any of the books were made canonical in any of the films after? Not counting the Alan Dean Foster Novel tie ins.
Romulus may be the first Alien from to introduce some things; otherwise no, the films haven't taken anything from the EU.

Predator 2 made AvP a thing and obviously the AvP films stem from that original idea. It also basically adapted the first issue of Concrete Jungle but developed it in a different direction.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Nov 26, 2023, 11:44:57 AMI feel that people remember things with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles sometimes... I re-read Aliens the Original Series recently (first time since loving it as a kid)... it's pretty damn terrible to be honest. 😅 It amuses me when still seeing people cite this as what we "should have had" over Alien 3...
The sad thing is Alien 3 was pretty much the best outcome of all the proposed sequels. It was the only one that felt like they didn't just say f**k it and go off the rails completely.

SM

SM

Yep.

I can still appreciate a lot of what the OG comics did even after all this time and I still think the first two series are among the best Dark Horse produced but it's much easier to see the problems now and the third series really went off the rails.

Local Trouble

But Sam Kieth though.

SM

Because Sam Kieth though.

426Buddy

I love them for what they are but there was always things I didn't like about them. I missed out on Earth War when I was a kid thankfully. When I started collecting again in my late 20's I finally picked it up and was pretty shocked at how bad it was.

However, there was another comic I missed out on as a kid... DotS!! Growing up I weaved a story in my head based only on the cover art of this series, I always loved that art. Never could I imagine that it was even worse than Earth War, pure nonsense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed