Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,203 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 31, 2010, 12:32:05 AM
Acid-proofing...which seems to be most widely accepted argument where this is concerned.
The original armor left skin unprotected where Celtic was hit... he would've got a burn.

predxeno

predxeno

I voted AVPR cause I like its style and some plot elements it had.  AVP is a cool PG-13 way to enter the series, but I think AVPR is more true to the mood and tone of the AVP franchise.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 09, 2011, 06:46:28 AM
I voted AVPR cause I like its style and some plot elements it had.  AVP is a cool PG-13 way to enter the series, but I think AVPR is more true to the mood and tone of the AVP franchise.

But yet it contains almost no elements of it. AVP did

predxeno

predxeno

I meant that AVPR had lots of R-rated action and didn't hold anything back just for a lower rating.  AVP is more true to the style of the AVP comics, but AVPR has a darker atmosphere like the previous movies.

Taxemic

Taxemic

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 09, 2011, 02:34:54 PM
I meant that AVPR had lots of R-rated action and didn't hold anything back just for a lower rating.  AVP is more true to the style of the AVP comics, but AVPR has a darker atmosphere like the previous movies.

^...and games. I agree.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

but AVPR has a darker atmosphere like the previous movies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79oC63H7HbI#

Spoiler
;D
[close]

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Disagree. AVP:R is the furthest removed from the alien movies. AVP had plenty of signature traits from an alien series:
- A hostile/isolated setting.
- A small group trapped.
- Long buildup (like the first 2 movies).
- False ending - in Alien , we think the alien blew up with the ship but appears in Narcissus. In Aliens we think the aliens were dusted but the Queen appears. In Alien 3 we think that runner was boiled but jumps up, and even in Resurection we think the aliens died with Betty but Newborn shows up. In AVP, the Queen appears after the pyramid and the aliens within it turns to history

AvPR is the first film featuring Aliens that doesn't have a "surprise" ending. Also it hasn't any group trapped in anything. The setting is not isolated. And the main characters are teens...

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Not to mention zero atmosphere and no dramatic tension.

predxeno

predxeno

I actually felt that AVPR was like Aliens (film) vs. Predator 2 (film).  It combined elements and similar characters from both movies and had them duke it out with each other.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

But still, it was AVP that had all the signature traits of both alien movies and the AVP comics

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 09, 2011, 09:54:27 PM
I actually felt that AVPR was like Aliens (film) vs. Predator 2 (film).  It combined elements and similar characters from both movies and had them duke it out with each other.

It was the spiritual successor to neither. A more apt description would be every low-budget teen slasher flick ever made (films) covered in a thick paste of superficial references to the Alien (films) films and the Predator (films) films. AVP-R has more to do with Dinoshark vs Sharktopus (film) than Predator 2 (film).

predxeno

predxeno

Perhaps, it's just that AVPR had more of a horror-film feel to it; and let's remember, Alien is best known as one of the most famous horror films ever created.

EDIT: AVP was more like a Jurassic Park-esque film to me.  There were very few fear elements or gore at all in the film outside of the Unrated Edition.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 09, 2011, 10:09:34 PM
Perhaps, it's just that AVPR had more of a horror-film feel to it; and let's remember, Alien is best known as one of the most famous horror films ever created.

I must disagree. Being stranded hundreds of miles away from any civilization, lost in the corridors with aliens running around and giant queen is much more horror-like than the B movie approach of just being in a small town where you can get tanks, loads of guns from guns stores, choppers, unlimited space around and you can basically just drive away

predxeno

predxeno

The people in AVPR couldn't drive away; the roads were blocked.  AVP didn't make any attempt to shock or scare the audience.  AVPR had surprise attacks like when the Predalien impales Ricky and when an Alien attacks the chopper.  AVP also didn't appear to make much use of darkness as we often see Aliens in very bright places where the fear factor is removed.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Y- You...

Did you just say that AvP put the Aliens in a poor setting? Not the shit-film? The one where they were in Colorado?

Bwa-

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed