Predator Technology

Started by Pax, Mar 19, 2007, 05:58:00 PM

Author
Predator Technology (Read 2,272 times)

Pax

Pax

Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Predators (as you may tell from my Avatar to the left), but I do have a respect for what they are and how they operate.  I don't think they're the best thing since slice bread (hmm, sliced bread), but I hope I do understand what makes them cool.

I mention this because people keep telling me that Predators are nothing but big thieves, and that they stole all of their technology from some other race.  I know this isn't touched upon in any movies, but I haven't read all the Predator comics and novels, so I was wondering if someone who had might tell me if this appears in any of the Predator or AvP EU.

Personally, I don't buy it, because it just lessesn the coolness of the killer in my opinion.  Assuming the Predator's stole their technology seems to suggest that because they're more beastial and violent that they're societally "less evolved" than humans, and therefore couldn't be more technologicall evolved.  I've always imagined that they have a very complex history and many long-standing traditions and customs, they just mostly involve wars and brutal in-fighting.  They are, after all, aliens (little a), and therefore, they're not required to think and behave like we do.

Of course, I've also heard that the Preds are the rednecks of their civilization, and that the rest of their species not only don't go hunting, but look down on the backwards dregs of their society that do.

Eh.

-Pax

Vader the White

Vader the White

I have not heard anything like that ever. Even Paul Anderson probally has more respect for Preds to do that!!!

Pax

Pax

That's good to hear.  Yeah, although Paul Anderson's Predators and their technology seem like they belong more to the Empire of Star Wars than the Predators of the preceeding movies, at least they aren't tech-thieves.

Anybody else ever heard that before?

-Pax

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: Pax on Mar 19, 2007, 05:58:00 PM
I mention this because people keep telling me that Predators are nothing but big thieves, and that they stole all of their technology from some other race.  I know this isn't touched upon in any movies, but I haven't read all the Predator comics and novels, so I was wondering if someone who had might tell me if this appears in any of the Predator or AvP EU.

No, that's wrong. I doubt something like that would be in EU either.

Extroheal

Extroheal

Actually that's pretty much how it was described in the novel Predator Forever Midnight. The Predators stole their FTL technology from some other race and went around conquering other races. Their slave races invent their technology for them (especially the Amengi who seem to enjoy it). The Predators in this novel call themselves the Hish-qu-Ten which means 'People Who Take Territory'. If you thought the AVP Predators were too different from the previous ones you may be interested to know that the Hish use mind control technology in their hunts and have no qualms about killing an entire colony of humans.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Extroheal on Mar 24, 2007, 01:47:49 AM
If you thought the AVP Predators were too different from the previous ones you may be interested to know that the Hish use mind control technology in their hunts

Either a coincidence, or the writer was up on his Predator knowledge. One of the original ideas in Predator was for the Predator be able to control the local flora and fauna during its hunt.

Extroheal

Extroheal

It's a coincidence. In interviews the author said that all he knew about Predators came from the movies and the writer's bible that Fox or Dark Horse gave him.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: SiL on Mar 24, 2007, 01:56:48 AM
Quote from: Extroheal on Mar 24, 2007, 01:47:49 AM
If you thought the AVP Predators were too different from the previous ones you may be interested to know that the Hish use mind control technology in their hunts

Either a coincidence, or the writer was up on his Predator knowledge. One of the original ideas in Predator was for the Predator be able to control the local flora and fauna during its hunt.

Control how? And why?

SiL

SiL

I'm guessing via technology. The novelisation still has it in there, but I've never read it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed