Sounds like there was an alternate ending!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 02, 2018, 07:20:31 PM

Author
Sounds like there was an alternate ending! (Read 101,841 times)

SM

Nah, there's more awareness of the Alien connection to Predator and therefore Ripley.

Hardly any bugger is going to remember Newt's real name though.

Even putting Scheafer on the tag would've left many scratching their heads.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2019, 04:35:06 AM
Nah, there's more awareness of the Alien connection to Predator and therefore Ripley.

Don't be so certain. Ellen Ripley hasn't been seen since 1992, and Ripley 8 since 97. If it weren't for Isolation, I have doubts any decent number of young audience members would even recognize the name. Now, if the pod would've had Stark's company brand written on it, that might be different.

SM

Ripley is iconic though.

Of course many of the younger crowd wouldn't make the connection.  But isn't part of the problem that the younger crowd aren't interested in the first place?

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2019, 05:06:39 AM
Ripley is iconic though.

Of course many of the younger crowd wouldn't make the connection.  But isn't part of the problem that the younger crowd aren't interested in the first place?

Ripley is indeed iconic, especially given the fact that she was a female lead character in a successful and beloved franchise back when that wasn't as commonplace. Nowadays, there's nearly an oversaturation of female leads and heroines though, and I wouldn't be surprised if her extended absence has caused her to be somewhat lost in the shuffle (not that I want her back, because I don't. She died, and that's that).

As for the younger crowd not being interested, I'd say that's definitely worth a look into. Back in college, I never met many other people my age who knew anything about alien or predator. As someone who has trained and works alongside many (and I mean many) younger people on a daily basis, I've yet to meet more than one who knew anything about it, and believe me, it came up. But damned if they couldn't talk all day about the marvel movies and Game of Thrones.

I'd say the market has changed, and with it, the tastes of those who have been growing up in it. Today's market is all about the family money, and the big spectacle. That's not necessarily conducive to liking or knowing anything about Alien and Predator, or the characters in them. 80's sci-fi/horror? I don't know how big a draw there is for that now. That was back before Henry Cavill and 1080p.  :laugh:

SM

I think the lacklustre box office for Covenant and the even worse bank on The Predator shows us that the audience that was there in the 80s just isn't anymore.  Horror these days needs to be cheap and in every day locations, and sci-fi horror generally isn't.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2019, 05:37:36 AM
I think the lacklustre box office for Covenant and the even worse bank on The Predator shows us that the audience that was there in the 80s just isn't anymore.  Horror these days needs to be cheap and in every day locations, and sci-fi horror generally isn't.

It's quite a shame.

SM

Quite.

Nukiemorph

Yup.  Halloween is being lauded as a massive success, whereas Covenant is a franchise-killing failure.  Halloween only made $13 million more than Covenant.

Halloween is only considered a success because it cost a tenth of Covenant's budget to make.

D88M

lol wtf time travel, this movie was always doomed, how can they make something so bad?

Huggs

I think (as of this point) the future for both of these franchises lies in the EU. Which, thank goodness, appears rather healthy.

Quote from: David's Creation on Jan 02, 2019, 06:25:07 AM
Yup.  Halloween is being lauded as a massive success, whereas Covenant is a franchise-killing failure.  Halloween only made $13 million more than Covenant.

Halloween is only considered a success because it cost a tenth of Covenant's budget to make.

Which raises the point about films like AVPR and Predators. Granted, many people dislike them, but for 40mil you're still getting films that make a profit. So I wonder if a return to such a direction will be considered by Disney?

D88M

Or maybe the studios could just do good movies?

SM

Of course it's all so simple...

Huggs

Quote from: D88M on Jan 02, 2019, 06:31:22 AM

Or maybe the studios could just do good movies?

It's like the old political adage, "you don't worry about winning over the other side, they've already made up their minds. You go after the undecided votes, the people in the middle". We're fans of these franchises, to the point that we're online talking about them. But how much of an influence do we have over all of this? If none of us went to watch, exactly how much would that effect the gross revenue of these films? The studio wants everyone else's money too, not just ours (the loyal fans). Hence, The Predator.

What's considered "good" by John Q Public, might not be what the long-time fans want to see from these franchises. But if John has more people and more money than we do, brace yourself because business is business.

morseman

Well it does go to show, it could have been worse...

Highland

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 01:58:09 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 02, 2019, 01:39:18 AM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 12:28:00 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 01, 2019, 10:08:09 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 01, 2019, 09:49:26 PM
Well, this just shows they had no idea what they were doing and just trying out some random stuff.

No this is worse. This means they had a sort of idea what they were doing, but just completely misunderstood everything about both series.

Like we already have AVP movies WTF lol.

It's like ...actually for once I can't even make a comparison to anything. It's on planet Z heading into a black hole.

I would call those pseudo AvP movies. They aren't based on any of the actual AvP content that vastly superior to anything Hollyfail has done.

I found this image. It represents where we are now. This my reaction anytime someone says The Predator (2018) is better than Predator (1987). And before anyone asks, yes...there are people who believe that.

The first AVP movie is basically the original comic. I mean it's shit, but I think that's because of the bad editing and script ( plus dodgy predators).

The title is the same. Nothing else is.

They made it in a different time period.
Different Location.
Different human characters.
Different predators.
Different circumstances for the conflict.

The only similarity is in the title.

Hell even AvP:R cock teases the hell out of you with the colonial marine motion tracker noise in the first few minutes of the opening sequence!

So you don't think that if they made a movie with a bunch of predators that have a queen and use Aliens as their right of passage and something went tits up allowing a human to team up with a predator , then the predator dying in a fight with the Queen Alien, but marking the human with the predator clan symbol and the other predators letting her live.

Would even be a tiny bit similar to the original AVP movie....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed