Sulaco Size?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Dec 08, 2013, 07:04:59 PM

Author
Sulaco Size? (Read 8,149 times)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

For my drafting class, I'm working on an isometric, orthographic, and eventually, a scale model on the USS Sulaco.  From what I've found online, the ship is 1260 feet long, 164 feet wide, and 280 feet tall. 

Does anyone here know if the length includes the antennae, the height include the antennae/"magazine"-looking piece on the bottom, or width include the plasma cannons on the sides?  I think it would be easier to get everything figured out after that but I'm still a bit lost on the basic dimensions.  Answers would be very helpful. Thanks!

SM

SM

Dimensions as worked out by Jan Rukr

LENGTH - 731.6m (2400.3')
BEAM - 99.6m (326.8')
DRAFT - 182.9m (600')

Includes the forward sensors and ventral antenna.

You're working off data from the Colonial Marines Tech Manual, which is unfortunately incorrect.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Oh, well that explains why some online diagrams I found had those dimensions instead. I'd presume the beam includes the huge cannons on the both sides?

Thanks a LOT for the clarification.

SM

SM

No worries.  I believe the beam does include the guns.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

You rock, Sado-Maso.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2013, 10:41:46 PM
Dimensions as worked out by Jan Rukr

LENGTH - 731.6m (2400.3')
BEAM - 99.6m (326.8')
DRAFT - 182.9m (600')

Includes the forward sensors and ventral antenna.

You're working off data from the Colonial Marines Tech Manual, which is unfortunately incorrect.

How did he come about those numbers?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If it were me, I'd base it on the size of the dropship's launching bay. 

SM

SM

That and the loading lock.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 09, 2013, 11:47:17 PM
If it were me, I'd base it on the size of the dropship's launching bay. 
But how would you do it?

I remember huge arguments about the officially-posted sizes of the Executor in Star Wars being "wrong" based on some fan-reasoning, it always struck me as a little... off to say the "official" numbers were wrong.

I guess it's similar to the LV-426 size thing where the stated number in 'Alien' doesn't make sense, so a tertiary source "fixed" it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

"Fan-reasoning" eventually prevailed in the Executor size controversy as well.  I realize you're a champion of all things "official," but when those numbers are demonstrably wrong, why is it "off" to correct them?

Quote from: SM on Dec 09, 2013, 11:50:52 PM
That and the loading lock.

Even better.

SM

SM

It depends on levels of "officialdom".  The Sulaco's size isn't mentioned in the film, but its correct dimensions can be gleaned from the film.  The speed of the Sulaco in the CMTM, also able to be gleaned from the film, isn't accurate either.  But, to be fair, it's a book that grew out of fan fic nearly 20 years ago, when we didn't have things like Blu-Ray and exhaustive access to background materials.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There are people (especially within Star Wars fandom) who would insist that the EU trumps what can be gleaned from the films.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

You sure about that? It would be strange considering all the effort put into the creation and classification of G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, etc.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's improved some in recent years, but a lot of people had to be dragged kicking and screaming into admitting that the EU was wrong.

SM

SM

Star Wars is generally pretty clear on what trumps what.  Until Episode VII at least.

Films don't have to conform with the EU; EU has to conform to the films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed