Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 67,502 times)

gabgrave

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:17:30 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 02, 2018, 07:07:35 AM
The problem with that is, would the Company allow Amanda to survive with the knowledge she has of all the corporate malfeasance and the fate of her mother? Speaking of, did she even really know the fate of her mother by the end of the game? And if she didn't, do you think she'd just let the matter drop and go on with her life? Amanda comes across as the kind of person who wouldn't give up that easily.

Sevastopol was destroyed. The company has no idea what she knew about their dealings, and no way of knowing she even heard anything from the recorder.

As for Ripley's fate, like Huda said, she knew. But it had been 15 years. By the time Amanda could escape, and find a ship, crew, or a company willing to help her (I doubt she'd have the resources anyway) her mother would've been floating another few years. That's like 16-18 years floating in a non-specific direction away from the Nostromo's blast zone. It would be like trying to find a needle moving in a somewhat "that way" direction, at unknown altitude, somewhere on earth. She'd be impossible to find and likely dead. To search such an expanse would exceed financial and physical limits. Reality set in, and she had to let go.

My personal take is that someone had to have sent the salvagers who found Ripley at the beginning of Aliens out there, or else point them in the right direction, in order to have caught her at the edge of the system. If it wasn't Amanda directly, it could have been her actions or her husband that helped ensured the possibility of finding Ripley.

Basically, it would be rather emotionally dramatic if Amanda spent her life with her husband spreading out a network to try and find her mother, but sadly she died just 2 years before her labors bore fruit. This mirrors Ripley's devastation at being 2 years too late to meet her daughter too.  :'(

As an aside, Interstellar managed to subvert this by letting the man meet his daughter in her final moments, a scene which I was debating while watching on whether the film was going to pull an Amanda.

Huggs

Huggs

Do we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad? I mean, 937 could've been sent by one guy higher up. The inquiry board in the second movie seemed to have no idea about the aliens, and thought lv-426 was safe. I think it's absolutely possible that there was just a small group of immoral shot callers that influenced and set things up along the way.

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 02, 2018, 04:18:38 PM
My personal take is that someone had to have sent the salvagers who found Ripley at the beginning of Aliens out there, or else point them in the right direction, in order to have caught her at the edge of the system.

There's one heck of a gap between 15 and 57 years. If anyone was legitimately interested in finding her, they would've done it many decades before she was found. Plus, in both the film and the "river of pain" audio drama, the salvagers who found her did not appear to have been looking for her at all.

SM

SM

QuoteDo we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad?

No.  'Cos they're not.

QuoteThere is no order for Ash to kill the crew

But the order gives him carte blanche to do so.  Not only with 'crew expendable' but also with 'all other priorities rescinded'.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:04:59 PM
Do we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad?
This is a super complicated question when you start thinking about it. What constitutes "bad" in this context? What constitutes the company "as a whole"?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2018, 08:16:15 PM
QuoteDo we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad?

No.  'Cos they're not.

Exactly, I think they get a bit of a bad rap. It's always "the company" wants it for this and that. Well, I don't think "the company" was dirty, but there were definitely some dirty folk operating within it.

I tend to think if the entire company was dirty, then they would've devoted all available resources to the capture of a specimen and would long since have succeeded before the events of the first film. A special order here, a request to check out coordinates there. Taking advantage of a colony's location. This seems like a special little project be conducted covertly from within and piggybacking off the operations of others. Who was pulling the strings is a very interesting question, and one I'd like to see answered someday. They can't say it was David either.

SM

They were opportunistic.  Better plausible deniability that way.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:04:59 PMDo we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad? I mean, 937 could've been sent by one guy higher up.

The fact the entire Nostromo incident was covered up (strongly implied in Aliens and outright confirmed in Isolation) suggests it was likely one or more individuals within the company that were responsible for sending the ship there, rather than the company as a whole.

Nightmare Asylum

I've only played a bit of the game. Loved what I experienced but just never did continue to progress for whatever reason.

Intrigued by this.

Ahsoka

Ahsoka

Hopefully a comic adaptation and sequels will happen too.

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2018, 09:11:12 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:04:59 PMDo we have any concrete evidence that the company, as a whole, was bad? I mean, 937 could've been sent by one guy higher up.

The fact the entire Nostromo incident was covered up (strongly implied in Aliens and outright confirmed in Isolation) suggests it was likely one or more individuals within the company that were responsible for sending the ship there, rather than the company as a whole.

Yeah Burke seems to be acting alone in Aliens, I don't think he would have wanted extra company involvement either even if it would have increased chances of getting an Alien because he wanted to have exclusive claim on the credit for getting the specimens.  He is probably the only company member in the movies that actually does something straight up evil, getting Ripley and Newt infected was only part of it as Ripley later tells the Marine he would have had to kill them all in their hypersleep for his plan to work.

It is only in Alien 3 we actually meet a group from the company that want the Alien and even then, they offer to save Ripley and they spared Morse. Aaron was killed but only because he assaulted Bishop.
True their offer to save Ripley was so they could get the specimen and there have been a chance Ripley would not survive the operation or that they could be lying but it is ambiguous not overt, unlike in A:CM where Michael Bishop is a blatant nasty piece of work.

mattmoocow

mattmoocow

im so excited. been waiting for this for a while  ;D

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 03, 2018, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2018, 09:11:12 PM

Yeah Burke seems to be acting alone in Aliens, I don't think he would have wanted extra company involvement either even if it would have increased chances of getting an Alien because he wanted to have exclusive claim on the credit for getting the specimens.  He is probably the only company member in the movies that actually does something straight up evil, getting Ripley and Newt infected was only part of it as Ripley later tells the Marine he would have had to kill them all in their hypersleep for his plan to work.

It is only in Alien 3 we actually meet a group from the company that want the Alien and even then, they offer to save Ripley and they spared Morse. Aaron was killed but only because he assaulted Bishop.
True their offer to save Ripley was so they could get the specimen and there have been a chance Ripley would not survive the operation or that they could be lying but it is ambiguous not overt, unlike in A:CM where Michael Bishop is a blatant nasty piece of work.
I agree that Burke was acting alone (and other EU materials have supported this), but if you think that the WY detachment sent to Fury 161 wouldn't have executed everyone in the facility if they thought it would have gotten them an Alien, then I've got a bridge to sell you. The goal was to capture an Alien alive; all those PMCs with guns weren't there to shoot at the Alien. :P

Morse got spared because he was the only salvageable part of the operation after Ripley killed herself (and the newborn Queen). Keep in mind this is the same group of WY people who kneecapped Morse when he tried to impede access to Ripley.

That said, I personally don't think Michael Bishop was cartoonishly evil, especially not in the assembly cut. I think he was being genuine when he was saying that they wanted to take the Alien out of Ripley and that they'd let her live.

The Old One

The Old One

It's as simple as Michael Bishop didn't know if they could save Ripley or not, I believe that's why he comes across genuine.

HuDaFuK

The company is definitely operating more overtly in dick mode by the time of the third film, compared to the morally grey interpretation of the preceding two entries.

Bishop and his boys are still nothing like the moustache-twirlers the company became in much of the EU, though.

Perfect-Organism

I hope that getting this adaptation of a video game years after it came out means we may yet get an adaptation of Prometheus - fully expanded, with some of the alternate scenes, featuring more backstory of the characters, and also several chapters filling in the blanks of Shea's journey leading up to Covenant.  That would make the adaptation truly worth while...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed