20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting

Started by Whos_Nick, Mar 04, 2022, 01:10:38 AM

Author
20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting (Read 16,745 times)

Kradan

Well, not super shitty

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 08, 2022, 11:31:59 AM
Still having the molds, It would be highly probable for ADI to re-use it (unfortunately). Still, a miracle could happen.

Holding out hope that Steve Wang and his production company Onyx Forge is actually doing the Pred head from soup to nuts, from concept to execution. We never did learn where responsibilities divide....

Corporal Hicks

I'm not sure what the assumption is here? Sil, are you not expecting him to have exactly the same armour? It's 300 years between the films, it'd be natural he might not. I expect him to not have the lighter dreads because he'd be younger.

Voodoo Magic

SiL clarified his first statement that his face should be recognizable, just not a carbon copy of the entire outfit / armor set. I'm fine with that, and might prefer a little modification myself, but I can't go as far and still declare that a duplication of that armor set as super shitty fan service. We have the young wearing it (Jungle Hunter) as well as old (Grayback). We could have a creative take the position a set of armor is specifically clan based, and I'd be absolutely good with that.

Corporal Hicks

Understood! I think logically it'd seem reasonable that he wouldn't have the exact same armor. 300 years is a long time for one set of armor. That style might have just been in around the 1980s and 1990s.  :P Honestly, I'd prefer he not be in that armor.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2022, 01:00:25 PM
Understood! I think logically it'd seem reasonable that he wouldn't have the exact same armor. 300 years is a long time for one set of armor. That style might have just been in around the 1980s and 1990s.  :P Honestly, I'd prefer he not be in that armor.

300 years is along time for us, might be 30 years to them, and as a knight who would trade damaged armor for new during his years of service, there's a good chance it's not very aesthetically different as that time went by. And who knows what this "armor" is constructed of (barely armor - perhaps it's not even serving the purpose of armor at all - again more tribe or bloodline based). I like to think the Lost Predator ship carried Hunters from different tribes.

I get the preference. But for me, the more I think about it, I'd like the same armor style on Grayback if he returns in "Prey". Different body & dread jewelry, perhaps tribal paint, clearly younger looking, different shoulder canon and packs, but same armor 'style' with minor changes.

SuperiorIronman

Personally I'm expecting a retooled Fugitive head if he is in this. That all being said the dreadlocks might very well be the textured ones from The Predator. And while I'd personally be fine with that, it would make for a disconnect between this and the original suit. I would like consistency, it's why I was happy they retained the way they talked from AVP 2010 to The Predator. Buuuut I actually really like the dreadlocks having its own level of detail.

As far as masks go I'm fine with whatever they choose for him. He doesn't have one in the original film and he's been depicted with three other masks (one from Illfonic and two from Neca) and it's not like he had one in the original appearance anyways. Wolf's wall suggested they could have multiple masks anyways so between his mask and armor it's possible he has another set. And really maybe he should have a different armor set. Keep the design recognizable, but we're 300 years earlier and it'd do a lot for the lore if we can see an older armor or a returning design that isn't the Jungle Hunter gear. Suggest that the technology has changed and hunting methods may have adapted over time. Something worth noting at least to me was how in AVP the armor could be altered in the field and ended up with the same half chest sort of look even though it isn't Jungle Hunter's gear. Something like that I'd be all for. If this is his first trip, maybe he's still figuring things out.

SiL

For consistency I think the returning cast of Jurassic Park wearing the same clothes 30 years later in the new Jurassic World is also super shitty fanservice.

I like a bit more creativity is all.

Kradan

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2022, 02:04:35 PM
For consistency I think the returning cast of Jurassic Park wearing the same clothes 30 years later in the new Jurassic World is also super shitty fanservice.

I like a bit more creativity is all.

"Same clothes"  ::)

He'll change out his codpiece don't worry.

Similar armor set or not, I doubt anyone here legitmately or realistically expects the Grayback to wear everything he was wearing exactly in "Predator 2" to call for such a statement. Geez, just that Second Infantry Division tattered cloth he wears alone is from the 1900s.

May 22, 2022, 09:29:53 AM

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 08, 2022, 02:09:29 PM
coughHan Solocough

:laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2022, 01:28:26 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2022, 01:00:25 PM

300 years is along time for us, might be 30 years to them, and as a knight who would trade damaged armor for new during his years of service, there's a good chance it's not very aesthetically different as that time went by. And who knows what this "armor" is constructed of (barely armor - perhaps it's not even serving the purpose of armor at all - again more tribe or bloodline based). I like to think the Lost Predator ship carried Hunters from different tribes.

Sure, their lifespans are much longer, but I'm talking more in terms of just nature. We can Alien metal/adamantium fansplain it, but we've also seen the Predators hunting various prey (and themselves) that are capable of damaging their armor so it makes perfect sense to me that they'd replace their armor over their long lifespan.

But ultimately it all comes down to preference. It could be explained that certain clans always stick to the same armor and etc. But we've also seen iterations on that same armor multiple times on screen now. I'm sure, visually speaking, production would probably want a different look for the film.

Voodoo Magic

And I'd be fine with that ultimately, provided it's stylistically consistent and lean (no American Football bulk please). But I think there's room to go in either direction, creatively and logically.

But I doubt anyone expects the Grayback to come walking in appearing exactly like he came out of the 1990 film, wearing all the same groovy gear.

SiL

I'm so deeply confused about why my comment got such a reaction in the first place. Everyone seems to agree that slapping him into the movie but less grey would be kind of dumb, so ... is it just the fact I said it?

Voodoo Magic

You brought up an interesting topic I don't think discussed before now, i.e. how the Grayback should appear in this prequel compared to how he looked in 1997. So don't be so paranoid. :D

SiL

If it was interesting I don't see why it got so many passive aggressive, dismissive and even condescending remarks? You brought up an interesting point about the 2nd infantry, but not before throwing in a patronising jab about codpieces.

Feels like it could've been an interesting conversation about all the little details that went into his original design rather than just unwarranted snark. Oh well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed