Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,007 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

X-Men 1 and 2 were cool back in the day, but Bryan Singer has tainted them for me and I don't really have any desire to go back and watch. Last Stand was bland as shit. Origins was garbage. Really liked First Class and The Wolverine. Loved DofP when I saw it in the theater but haven't seen it since. Deadpool was awful. Haven't seen Apocalypse or Logan. Deadpool 2 was ok, better than the first at least, but I don't really care about this franchise/character.

The Old One

The Old One

Logan's worth the time, and it's a AU.

P-Rock

P-Rock

I've dug up my original review on another forum:

Logan gets a lot of praise from filmgoers and critics alike, but in my opinion it's dull as dishwater. It's a super serious movie where Logan, Professor X and a psychic mutant are supposed to be the last mutants on earth. Yes, this is another X-Men movie that screws up the timeline. Prof X is dying and suffering from some brain disease which makes his powers uncontrollable and very dangerous if he doesn't take his pills. Wolverine is tired of everything and wants to die. They are on the run from a shady government organisation who wants to experiment on mutants. After a while they hide in a barn house with good people who, of course, all die. At the end there's a big fight with a Wolverine clone. Logan sacrifices himself so that the mutant kids can escape. That's it, that's the whole story. It's basically a retread of Origins: Wolverine and X2. It's also a very depressing, violent film, but the violence doesn't serve a purpose. It's just Wolverine and some cloned kid with the same powers slicing and dicing their way through some cardboard bad guys. The only good thing about this is the acting, although sad sack Logan gets annoying after a while. Yes, we know you are tired and grumpy and sad, but stop rubbing it in our faces! He also sleeps a lot. Because he's tired, depressed and grumpy and sad. 30 minutes of this movie alone is of Logan sleeping. In all honesty it's not really a bad movie, but it does feel pedestrian and unnecessary. I'd rather watch The Last Stand before suffering through this again.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Mist

Got a lol out of Thomas Jane saying he can't save the in progress Dark Tower movie poster and chucking it on the grass. :laugh:

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: P-Rock on May 12, 2019, 08:33:58 PM
I've dug up my original review on another forum:

Logan gets a lot of praise from filmgoers and critics alike, but in my opinion it's dull as dishwater. It's a super serious movie where Logan, Professor X and a psychic mutant are supposed to be the last mutants on earth. Yes, this is another X-Men movie that screws up the timeline. Prof X is dying and suffering from some brain disease which makes his powers uncontrollable and very dangerous if he doesn't take his pills. Wolverine is tired of everything and wants to die. They are on the run from a shady government organisation who wants to experiment on mutants. After a while they hide in a barn house with good people who, of course, all die. At the end there's a big fight with a Wolverine clone. Logan sacrifices himself so that the mutant kids can escape. That's it, that's the whole story. It's basically a retread of Origins: Wolverine and X2. It's also a very depressing, violent film, but the violence doesn't serve a purpose. It's just Wolverine and some cloned kid with the same powers slicing and dicing their way through some cardboard bad guys. The only good thing about this is the acting, although sad sack Logan gets annoying after a while. Yes, we know you are tired and grumpy and sad, but stop rubbing it in our faces! He also sleeps a lot. Because he's tired, depressed and grumpy and sad. 30 minutes of this movie alone is of Logan sleeping. In all honesty it's not really a bad movie, but it does feel pedestrian and unnecessary. I'd rather watch The Last Stand before suffering through this again.

2/10, would not find review helpful :D

Vertigo

Vertigo

I'm with P-Rock on Logan actually, IMO it's an unpleasant combination of nasty and dull. Then again, X1 is by far my favourite of the series, so what do I know.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Reservoir Dogs
Still a classic. Perfectly cast, i just cant picture James Woods in this at all

Highlander: Endgame
for all its faults, i still really enjoy this. Kell is a fantastic villain. It introduced Donnie Yen to Hollywood and its better than 2, 3 and 5

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

To chip in with my thoughts on Logan - I do think if you disregard the hard-R violence that fans had been clamouring for, it really wasn't a particularly memorable film. I enjoyed it well enough but it was by no means the masterpiece some people seem to say it is.

Russ

Russ

Snowpiercer: So, I know this makes me a peon, but I thought it was pants. I mean, I got to the end and all but was unsurprised by any of it. It was too heavy handed with its social commentary to be interesting and the "weird" stuff just didn't work for me.

Grant Morrision: Talking with Gods : Interesting documentary ... strange guy but it does kind of make you believe in his chaos magick stuff. Though I still think its 5% magick (or co-incidence), 5% opportunity and 90% hard work. But I would recommend it to anyone who's an "aspiring <insert poorly paid, thankless artistic endeavour here>" as its inspiring in its own way and I defy anyone who is a creator of sorts not to come away from it with "an idea for that comic I always wanted to do..."

Comix: Beyond the Comic Book Pages: Interesting feature length documentary on comics... nothing in there we didn't already know, but there's something comforting about that when you're hung-over

Rise of the Superheroes: Comic to film feature documentary... this was really good, if you've got amazon prime, do check it out, I really liked it.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2019, 01:04:59 PM
To chip in with my thoughts on Logan - I do think if you disregard the hard-R violence that fans had been clamouring for, it really wasn't a particularly memorable film. I enjoyed it well enough but it was by no means the masterpiece some people seem to say it is.

I agree. For me it was a good film but probably the least enjoyable out of all the Wolverine films simply because it was such a depressing jaunt...
Spoiler
Professor X deserved better than to go out like that
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Dragged Across Concrete

8/10

Captain America The First Avenger

8/10

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on May 13, 2019, 01:28:42 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I far preferred his demise in Last Stand, which was really epic, but someone's already mentioned my unacceptable praise for that movie :P
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Agree 100% with Logan being good, but by no means a masterpiece.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 13, 2019, 02:18:15 PM

Agree 100% with Logan being good, but by no means a masterpiece.

None of the X-Men movies are good.

There, I said it

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2019, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: Prez on May 13, 2019, 01:28:42 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I far preferred his demise in Last Stand, which was really epic, but someone's already mentioned my unacceptable praise for that movie :P
[close]

I'll admit that was a well constructed scene. It would be better if the Phoenix, you know, was the actual focus of the movie. As it stands that scene just sort of happens and the Cure plot moves on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed