Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,391 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 01, 2018, 04:12:59 PMPlatoon is one of my favorites, the conflict between Elias and Barnes is brilliant. It shows how war is hell not just physically but psychologically as you see some of soldiers either become cowards or unhinged.

I've always loved Platoon, too. Definitely my favourite Vietnam war movie, if not my favourite war movie period. Hard to believe now that Charlie Sheen was once such a talented, serious actor :laugh:

The thing I love most about that film is the fact Oliver Stone has said every character in it with the exception of Charlie Sheen was based on someone he encountered while serving there himself, which is equal parts fascinating and scary.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 01, 2018, 04:12:59 PM
Platoon is one of my favorites, the conflict between Elias and Barnes is brilliant. It shows how war is hell not just physically but psychologically as you see some of soldiers either become cowards or unhinged.

Without fail the ending of that film with Charlie Sheen in the chopper breaking down with Adagio for Strings playing in the background leaves me a wreck. Tremendous film.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Gettysburg is a brilliant war film.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Prez on Aug 01, 2018, 11:15:28 AM
Not necessarily a war film rather a film about the war but The Great Escape is all things Golden - one of the most amazing casts in any film.

It's the best pow film ever made. It was one of my Grandfather's favorite films, so I watched it a ton growing up and still watch it 2-3 times a year now. Stalag 17 is another good one.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 02, 2018, 02:00:07 AM
Quote from: Prez on Aug 01, 2018, 11:15:28 AM
Not necessarily a war film rather a film about the war but The Great Escape is all things Golden - one of the most amazing casts in any film.

It's the best pow film ever made. It was one of my Grandfather's favorite films, so I watched it a ton growing up and still watch it 2-3 times a year now. Stalag 17 is another good one.

That is awesome. I do remember watching it with my parents at a very young age and periodically when it's on TV I'll always try to watch it again. I can't help but whistle the theme song anytime this film's name is mentioned.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 02, 2018, 01:26:07 AM
Gettysburg is a brilliant war film.

I think the music really spoilt the movie... it was a little too earnest for me. Too many monologues with actors staring off into the middle distance going on about sacrifice while mournful horn music played in the background.

It's a shame - the cast was brilliant, the scope was epic, but those bits really spoilt it for me :-(

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 01, 2018, 07:14:12 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 01, 2018, 04:12:59 PMPlatoon is one of my favorites, the conflict between Elias and Barnes is brilliant. It shows how war is hell not just physically but psychologically as you see some of soldiers either become cowards or unhinged.

I've always loved Platoon, too. Definitely my favourite Vietnam war movie, if not my favourite war movie period. Hard to believe now that Charlie Sheen was once such a talented, serious actor :laugh:

The thing I love most about that film is the fact Oliver Stone has said every character in it with the exception of Charlie Sheen was based on someone he encountered while serving there himself, which is equal parts fascinating and scary.

Yeah, as a veteran of the vietnam war, he knew what it was like and how brutal it was.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Elvis (1979)

Not bad for a TV movie, and Kurt Russell was great, but the last hour or so got pretty tedious.

A Quiet Place

Sorry, Michael Scott, but this is much better than Threat Level Midnight.

Huggs

Huggs

J. Edgar - On Blu-ray

Interesting film. Not the best, but something to watch. Some damn fine acting though. Clint did a pretty good job with this one. The picture quality was outstanding as well. One of the clearest images I've seen.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Magnum Force

Great sequel. It was maybe slightly too long, but with Michael Cimino co-writing the script, we're lucky Harry didn't spend a full hour at a formal dance. :laugh:

"What is that?" ""Plastic explosive." "A bomb?" "Yeah, a bomb. You wanna hold it?"

SM

SM

Revisited The Black Hole.

I'm convinced there's good movie under all that redundancy, cheez and what-the-f**kery.

Huggs

Huggs

Manhunter - on Blu-ray

Interesting flick. Was a bit hard to watch since a lot of the dialogue is the same as red dragon. But it was cool to finally see it. Vastly inferior to the later movies though. But that's just my opinion.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2018, 03:36:30 PM
Dunno if I'd say it's the greatest of all time, but if you look at how many films have copied its style since, there's no denying it completely revolutionised the war movie genre.

How about Das Boot?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Strangers

Not bad for what it was going for. It did get slightly repetitive by the end, though, and the handful of jump scare stings that played when literally f**k all was happening sucked hard.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 06, 2018, 12:45:07 AMHow about Das Boot?

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen that one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed