Okay, one single question - go back for Jonesy or no?

Started by Facehugga1976, Jul 16, 2023, 08:01:03 AM

Author
Okay, one single question - go back for Jonesy or no? (Read 7,134 times)

Kimo

Murphy's Boot

Not at all, his cat antics ultimately cost the life of Brett, not cool!

Kel G 426

I see this topic arise from time to time, but the funny thing is the situation never occurred in the movie.

At no point did anyone go back for Jonesy in an effort to save him. He was picked up along the way.

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 16, 2023, 10:12:02 AMAlso, it's interesting that Alien just bitch-slapped Jonesy's box and left it be. I'd imagine Big Chap could've easily torn that thing open and enjoy some juicy kitty meat

It feels to me that shot was put back in just for the hell of it. They had the footage, so they used it. I prefer the TC for that scene.

BlueMarsalis79

People refer to Ripley hearing Jonesy over the intercom speakers, and then taking time to search for the cat as "going back for him" not the later point in the film when encountered by the Alien, outside the shuttle entrance.

I prefer the "Marketing Cut" in that respect, the Theatrical Cut always took me out of the film with the abruptness of the score cutting out, in nearly every other respect I prefer the original editing.

SiL

Yeah the bridge isn't on the way to the engine room from the shuttle.

SM

Yeah it was a long way out of the way. The fact Ripley heard him over the intercom probably made it easily pinpoint where he was.

Xenomrph

Hell yes I would. There is no such thing as a bad cat, all cats must be cherished and saved, even at the expense of the lives of their human slaves.

Local Trouble

What good's a cat if you ain't around to pet it?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 05, 2023, 06:56:50 PMWhat good's a cat if you ain't around to pet it?
The cat will find other people to pet it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 25, 2023, 02:51:39 PMI prefer the "Marketing Cut" in that respect, the Theatrical Cut always took me out of the film with the abruptness of the score cutting out, in nearly every other respect I prefer the original editing.

I don't like the abruptness of the cut to the music either, but prefer the take used in the 1979 theatrical release (love the Alien's exposed teeth before the lips begin to close).

The version used in the 2003 DC doesn't make sense: the cat box was lying on the deck where Ripley had dropped it, yet when the Alien stands over the box to peer at the cat, then swats it aside - the cat box is revealed to be level with the Alien's hips!?! How can this be, as the Alien isn't using either of its hands to hold it up, and the cat box shouldn't be perched on anything. Did the Alien lower itself down on its knees for an even closer look?

Neila

hmmm, I think if I had had enough time, I would have even brought the cat from the Narcissus back to the Nostromo...
At least when I threw the xeno out of the airlock,
I would have thrown Jonesy after... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Cosmic Incubation

I was thinking about this when I did a rewatch the other night, with my cat in my lap no less.

It's hard to say when you're in an actual survival situation like that, but I love my cat very much and I like to think I'd definitely go back for that lil f**ker. Thinking with my cat as Jonesy. I just couldn't stand the thought of it being left behind, scared, and getting blowed up like that.

Spoiler
my cat:
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: Neila on Dec 06, 2023, 11:24:42 AMhmmm, I think if I had had enough time, I would have even brought the cat from the Narcissus back to the Nostromo...
You monster, you're worse than Ash and the Alien and the entire Company combined.

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Dec 06, 2023, 04:03:06 PMI was thinking about this when I did a rewatch the other night, with my cat in my lap no less.

It's hard to say when you're in an actual survival situation like that, but I love my cat very much and I like to think I'd definitely go back for that lil f**ker. Thinking with my cat as Jonesy. I just couldn't stand the thought of it being left behind, scared, and getting blowed up like that.

Spoiler
my cat:
[close]
That is an excellent cat.

Cosmic Incubation

Neila

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 06, 2023, 07:28:24 PM
Quote from: Neila on Dec 06, 2023, 11:24:42 AMhmmm, I think if I had had enough time, I would have even brought the cat from the Narcissus back to the Nostromo...
You monster, you're worse than Ash and the Alien and the entire Company combined.

I think you know it was a joke  :)

But I seriously wonder if anyone would actually take the cat. So if it's on the way, sure, but would someone who is just in front of the shuttle and at the saving destination, so to speak, actually go back?
I think with these films we sometimes lose touch with the intensity of the situation because we know it so well.
If there really was an alien there, I don't think anyone would turn back for a cat.
Just compare it to a skyscraper with a hungry lion running around and you don't know where he is. You know your cat is on the second or third floor, would you actually go in again?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed