AvPR Fan Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 19, 2007, 07:52:02 PM

Author
AvPR Fan Reviews (Read 205,321 times)

Horhey

Horhey

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2008, 11:27:04 AM
He obviously meant someone of that calibre.

And he's right.

But Cameron wasn't 'a Ridley Scott' when he did Aliens nor was The Finch with Alien3.

That's right. Cameron did it better than RS.

Huol

Huol

Kill me.

I liked it.

Yes the dialogue was awful, yes the story was all over the place, and yes the boyfriend/bully parts could have been cut out.

I still liked it.

And i knew i would from the moment i sat down and heard the motion tracker bleeps at the title, and the aliens I unfold.

I'd pay to see a 3rd movie.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

I partially enjoyed the action sequences simply because my inner fanboy is willing to accept almost anything Alien or Predator related, however they were over hyped and I felt they were seriously lacking.  If I get the directors cut DVD I expect I'll watch it through once but then I'll just skip between the fight scenes.

Huol

Huol

That's probably why i liked it so much.

And the fact that everyone was beating it into me at how bad it was, worse than avp1.

When i saw it, it was quite the opposite. Not a masterpiece, but due to the amount of bad reviews i'd seen my brain made it better.

It's one of those movies that, like you said, i'd watch once and then skip to the fight scenes.

And sue me, i liked the homages.
Like the motion tracker bleeps, the get to the chopper, "Hold on" in the tank...

Also how everyone loses.

The people you expect to live, die.

For instance the sherrif.
We see him the whole movie, he seems like the hero, then he makes one decision and gets nuked.

Same with Darcy, she seems like the type of character who, you feel bad for, she goes through hell, yet ultimatly comes out as a better, stronger person. Nope. Nuked.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Well, just saw it today. So we all know the story. The cast are unknowns and TV "stars". I wanted to imagine that they could still deliver acting wise, when all it really was just passable among some of the actors, whilst with others it was damned appalling.

There is the typical sub-plots, the problems that the pizza-boy has with the girl he wants, the ex-con trying to get a job, and a mum trying to deal with a daughter who has somewhat rejected her. Boring, boring, boring.

Even when the action hits the screen, most of it is way too fast-paced and quick cut to see anything, so it isn't anything special, at least AvP has some long cuts, like the Predator spinning the alien round into some pillars etc.

Saying that, some of the kills are mildly entertaining, but they're few and far between. My main problems with them are the same that others have brought up, but I thought wouldn't matter; the mass amount of aliens killed with ease, and the alien-pregnancy scenes. The mass amount of aliens killed even I have to admit, was way too biased, they were just cannon fodder barring the Predalien, and even though I must I am somewhat biased to being more a Predator fan, it was way too far. The alien-pregnancy scenes I thought were just completely there for the shock value, they added little to the menace of the Predalien, didn't even look that well done, and just annoyed a lot of fans for pissing about with the franchises.

My first main problem with the film was the dire, dire dialogue. So many bad nods to the other films that just made one cringe, and loads of lines that just weren't needed (Dallas including motherf**kers when referring to the aliens - just sounded over the top), or at other times it just sounded extremely cheesy or just plain dumb ("people are dying - we need guns" - only as bad it it sounds once you've heard it in the film).

My second main problem was the ridiculous scene after the helicopter has crashed. It contains the mother of all bad dialogue - "are the monsters gone now?" It was terrible, as was Dallas' line "I thought I told you not to crash" (insert cheesy grin). Also, the add-on Yutani scene, did nothing to the storyline for me, meant to be cool, but was just meh.

Overall, its pretty bad, and ruined about a year of high expectations. Is it better than the original AvP? I'm not even sure I can honestly say yes to that. AvP (a 1.5 out of 5 in my mind) had loads of problems, mainly bad acting, and messing heavily with the franchises (the Predator's face and vision, the movement of the Alien Queen, etc). AvPR, has both bad acting, and even though doesn't suffer from the exact same problems in AvP, still wrecks the concept of the aliens being very deadly. I think AvPR could have been a lot better had it been shortened a lot more; take out the horrendous helicopter crash scene, remove the overly bad dialogue (removing it all would mean you'd have to rewrite the script), as well as the alien-pregnancy scenes and it would be somewhat ok. Making the Aliens deadlier, and getting better actors, it would definitely be better. But an AvP film set in a city on earth will always suffer from having a bad setting, whereas the setting for AvP is the best kind of setting there ever can be on Earth. As it stands, it is somewhat worse, even with the only major positive; the much needed increase in gore, albeit the film's only thing that it had to advertise on as being better than the first.

1/5

Darkness

Darkness

Your review was spot on, Ian.

Funny really, I expected you and Hicks to come back from the cinema and say you loved it something. Glad to know we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

I'm currently writing my review.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Darkness on Jan 19, 2008, 05:55:55 PM

Funny really, I expected you and Hicks to come back from the cinema and say you loved it something. Glad to know we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Thank you.

Quote from: LukaKovach on Jan 18, 2008, 08:44:10 PM
Saw it again. What's up with the Strauses and Jesse's ass? Her ass gets as much screentime as a whole new character.

Her ass when Ricky parks in front of her house (she bends over).
Her ass when she takes out her clothes.
Her ass when she is PUTTING HER SKIRT BACK ON (this one lasts as long as the longest time any of the aliens seen on screen).

I was like dammit stop focusing on the ass.

Best bits of the movie.

Otnip

Otnip

*Swaps the hymn sheet*

Just kidding, sucks you didn't like it Ultimate Predator and it sounds like you aren't a fan of it either Darkness.

I stand by my review (6.5/10), but I'd tell you to go see Cloverfield, it'll cheer you up.

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Otnip on Jan 19, 2008, 06:51:16 PM

*Swaps the hymn sheet*

Just kidding, sucks you didn't like it Ultimate Predator and it sounds like you aren't a fan of it either Darkness.

I stand by my review (6.5/10), but I'd tell you to go see Cloverfield, it'll cheer you up.

I do plan to, looks awesome though it still ain't out yet. Plan to see No Country for Old Men, which has had loads of positive reviews.

brad873

brad873

ok, i just saw it on the big screen, and i think i was right about it being better the second time.

Monsters
i liked the desighns. the aliens were like animals, but smarter than the AVP ones. i loved how the aliens had the hanible like lips and i liked the predaliens desighn.
the pred seemed a bit dumb though. even though it was a good scene, the aliens should not be able to walk on the bridge underneeth him in the power plant. and im an alien fan :o
the acid blood seemed to have been put aside later on in the film, and even though that we never actualy seen any acid on wolf, the blood didnt seem to harm him, even when he had it all over him from the predalien (but the bomb did go off like, 7 seconds later)
i did notice that the predalien ripped out the spine and skull of the chef, and i think that may have been a bit too predish for my tast. i liked how it looked in the dark, but it looks as though the normal aliens were cannon fodder :-[.
i was a bit confused at one aspect though. the first facehugger we saw was black in color, but the one that crawled into the sewer was normal, and then they were black again. this was a bit odd to me. also, when we see chet molt, there is alot of shed skin, much more than what it should have been, so does this mean they grow to full size in a few second? also, in Alien, after implantation, the alien chestburster takes about 6-12 houres before it burt out, but in this film, it took about 1 >:(

Characters

well, how do i do this. i was very happy to see the hunter and his damn kid die, lots of fun. i felt very sorry for the homeless woman who was killed for some reason, i dont know why. Dallas realy pissed me off. he tryed to be a hard man and never looses his cool, and doesnt seem to care much his bro was almost killed. :P.
i liked kelly, but she seemed to be a bit too much like ripply. her kid was insufrable.
morales was an irritating ass who i was so glad to see die.
ricky was a very pathetic excuse for a human being but his character wasnt too bad. his tart was cool untill she died, and she didnt look like a teen to me

acting
bad a first, better at the end

end
rushed, made no sence at all

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I just feel compelled to say this: Cloverfield is everything AVP-R wasn't. It had a good script, the acting was solid, the action was heavy, and for a PG-13 movie the violence and terror really pushed the rating. If you were dissatisfied by this, give Cloverfield a chance.

P.S. to Fox...want a good monster movie? Have Abrams or Reeves helm your next project.

D88M

D88M

Ok, i saw it 2 days ago, but i have a problem with my computer so i can´t write before.

It´s a shit. What a surprise.

Firsts, i going to post what i like it and what not.

Best:
The shot jesse´s ass in the pool.
Some shots of wolf, like when he is standing in the tree after healing himself.
The shot of the ``alien´´ underwater.
The silouetes of the ``aliens´´ in the national guard scene.
The ``alien´´ crawling under wolf, but make me remember of the game.
The ``F**k you´´ of Dallas, i like how he said it.
The ``c´amon (i don´t how write it) mother fu**ers!!´´ of Dallas, i like how he said it.
The husband of Ripley 9.
Ricky.
``It´s a fu**ing ambush!!´´
Maybe Yutany.
Col. Stevens.
The music, but not in the movie, don´t fit at all.
The dialogue between Dallas and Ricky when ricky enter the house.
Maybe the ``Taking sides´´ scene.
The double head-shot.
The head-bite.
The hilarous dialogues :D.
The fonts of the end credits.

Worst:
Everything else.

Now, the full review, i´m going to try not to make it very large.

Overall, the movie sucks, it seems like it was 2 hours and a half long, but someone heavily cutted down. Have a lot, and huges plot holes, not so many as AVP, but a lot anyway. Wolf sucks, not seems like a skilled predator, maybe because the ``aliens´´ where too stupids. BTW, they are not aliens, they are like a retarded version of the starship troopers bugs. The head of Wolf was too big, and even more his mandibles. I don´t even i´m going to talk about the preADIlien, she is the new newborn. The new sounds of the predator are horrible, and he movements where bad too. The acting was pretty bad, but it could be worse. It was weird in the scene where they are about to enter the hospital, and their are talking, i can see that rain more in the left half of the screen that in the right ???. The homages where pathetic. The gore was very cheap, the wound on carrie´s stomach was almost the same that in the fangoria picture. The Buddy and Sam chestburster scene was boring, and the chestbursters look like shit, another shitty work of ADI (i´m talking about all the creautures, of course). The more exciting of the movie was that i enter whitout paid, i sit with a friend near the exit door, and when the guard distracted, we run like hell, it was fun. When we enter, the movie already started, there was buddy and sam looking the crashed ship, i explain to he what happen and we see the movie. He don´t like either, he told that was a shit. And he is not a fan. After that we enter to see August Rush, we enjoy it far more than this crappy movie.

Freddy versus Jason it´s better, that movie don´t take himself too seriously, it´s fun, it´s violent, and it´s not so biased like this one. I´m glad that AVP-R and AVP are not cannon.

I´t was just a little entertaining. And the best of the movie was Jesse´s ass.

D88M

EDIT: 1/10

So, here is my rank:

-Alien
-Alien 3
-Predator 2
-Predator
-Aliens
-Alien resurrection
-AVP-R
-AVP

Cheers :)

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I wouldn't say it was as bad as Resurrection. At least AVP-R didn't keep on trying to be a dark comedy as it was going about its troubled plot, though the attempt to make it funny and the Predalien shenanigans sure makes it hard to call it "better."

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Your problem is you still see us as 14 year old fan boys. I'm sorry to say bit I'm rather fond of my taste in film. I felt my soul die today - I was on the box office at work. I managed to pursuade 3 people not to see the film. For me, that was an achievement. I wasn't willing to risk my job on this but I do NOT WANT a sequel for sometime.

*edit. I am actually kinda tipsy so appologizes on any mispellings or etc.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Like I said, go see Cloverfield and wash this film away from your memory. I saw the film twice just to see if my opinion would change, and I'd say it's a better use of your time waiting for February 1st to roll around than to spend more cash.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed